1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/27/19 11:22 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I think what he meant to say is he can go back to a stock crosmember rather than this butchered version.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/27/19 11:24 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

That's the stock crossmember?  It looks like something I would have welded up in highschool shop class [this is not a compliment].

No. Sorry for the confusion.  What you see on the car is  Not a stock one.  It's hacked up by the previous owner (when he installed the V6).  Pic was intended to show that I have the engine set back far enough that a stock uncut one can be bolted in place & clear the crank & water pump pulley.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/19 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

You are making great progress with this!  Very much looking forward to seeing it in person.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/27/19 11:32 a.m.

Ah, okay.  This project is quite cool.  Hope you can find good solutions in getting the engine fitted.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/27/19 11:56 a.m.

Is there anything to be gained by using the stock exhaust manifolds facing forwards?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/27/19 6:52 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

You are making great progress with this!  Very much looking forward to seeing it in person.

Thanks.  You'll be able to see it at the Challenge this year when you bring your Sonoma (because Monzora still won't be finished)

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/27/19 6:55 p.m.

Ah, okay.  This project is quite cool.  Hope you can find good solutions in getting the engine fitted.

After another round of engine out, more cutting, and engine back in, I think I finally have a workable location, so next (after removing the body) is build motor mounts.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/27/19 6:56 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Is there anything to be gained by using the stock exhaust manifolds facing forwards?

Not from a packaging benefit, but that would help reduce the budget impact.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/27/19 7:04 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

After another round of engine out, more cutting, and engine back in, I think I finally have a workable location, so next (after removing the body) is build motor mounts.

Build/weld something temporary in to hold the engine and trans in EXACTLY the spot you want before pulling the bidy for real mounts. Learned that lesson twice now ...

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/27/19 7:04 p.m.

The stock TR4 only has a thin piece of plywood separating the rear fuel tank from the passenger compartment.  Will this pass tech? Or will I have to weld in a metal separator?

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
12/27/19 9:24 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

The stock TR4 only has a thin piece of plywood separating the rear fuel tank from the passenger compartment.  Will this pass tech? Or will I have to weld in a metal separator?

Rules:

There must be a metallic firewall between the driver’s compartment and the engine bay, as well as one between the driver’s compartment and fuel system. Open holes in the firewalls are not allowed. Unaltered OEM firewalls made of nonmetallic materials are also allowed.

If its unaltered OEM its allowed. That said I would err on the side of caution, start looking for a file cabinet on trash day.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/4/20 10:12 p.m.

With all the "in & out" of the engine, I must have hurt the battery, which proceeded to spill  acid all over the battery tray and transmission/bellhousing

Which meant pulling the engine again and do a bit of Chemistry experiment

Baking soda and water

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/4/20 11:19 p.m.

So it's lighter now?  Good job! yes

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/5/20 6:51 a.m.

I know they might sound spendy, but the foam engine black was worth every penny it cost. They are also  quite sellable when you are done. That and a gutted transmission case.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
1/5/20 10:16 a.m.

For effective chemical milling you need to keep the acid bath longercheeky

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/20 1:41 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I know they might sound spendy, but the foam engine black was worth every penny it cost. They are also  quite sellable when you are done. That and a gutted transmission case.

We bought a used one here on the GRM forum for 1/2 price and are done with it now if you are interested. It is a SBC, but still pretty useful to approximate the shape and what is needed verse swapping back and forth th real thing. We had it bolted to a T56 and it made the project much easier! Let me know if you are interested and I'll have my friend reach out on it with the details.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
1/5/20 7:01 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

For effective chemical milling you need to keep the acid bath longercheeky

I know people work hard to add lightness, this is going a little far...  cheeky

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
2/22/20 4:19 p.m.

Garage straightened out, bolts removed.  Preparing for body removal.....

I'm trying to round up some muscle to help.

Stay tuned..... 

Edit: no muscle available until tomorrow.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
2/23/20 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Muscle showed up today so this happened:

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/20 3:28 p.m.

Woohoo!!! Does that driveshaft fit?

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
2/23/20 4:21 p.m.

Do you have a stock cross member?  I have a couple out of TR6s if you need one.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/23/20 4:28 p.m.

What's the plan for a rear end again?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/23/20 5:24 p.m.

Heck yes!!!!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/20 5:29 p.m.

Big Day. Rock On!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
2/23/20 7:15 p.m.
Robbie said:

Woohoo!!! Does that driveshaft fit?

That's the drive shaft the previous owner had made up for the V6 and Auto tranny.  Turns out the splines fit my manual trans. Length is close. perhaps a bit too long I don't yet have everything in the right location yet.  I wonder if it'll be up to the task of 300-400 hp even if it turns out to be ok length-wise.  That V6 had (at best) 120ish hp.

68TR250 said:

Do you have a stock cross member?  I have a couple out of TR6s if you need one.

No, I don't have one yet.  I'd be very interested in a TR6 one. Trade would be best for challenge budget reasons.  I'll send you a PM.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DIg6PHGlKWikl3RerjxFCeZMEGkRhn2KigeOoJDL0jK0smzcYdQslQUjZRD6yP7K