drewkrew7
drewkrew7 New Reader
4/20/19 7:57 a.m.

I'd like to do the $2k challenge and have two potential rides - 2005 S4 and 1997 Z28 vert. S4 runs & drives, but purchase ate up most of budget and needs minor work - Z28 is torn down and needs everything (luckily it was free tho, so plenty of budget room!). I only have room in garage for one and HOA won't let me work in driveway. Recommendations from this board was roll with S4 since it's my 1st year, but I'd need it in my garage to prep it, so at least had to get camaro running.

I tore down the LT1 and found a snapped intake rocker bolt and bent exhaust pushrod on #4. PO stated it was overheating until it shut off - I'm assuming head gasket & hydrolock.  #2 is REALLY clean, so likely 2/4 were leaking. I bought a literal truckload of parts from a guy in Orlando that upgraded his Trans-Am, so I have good pushrods, heads, etc (actually way more than I need, but hoping to sell/scrap a bunch for recoup). 

So what is likelihood that bearings / bottomend are good? What about cam? Does stress of hydrolock hurt it or does pushrod 'absorb' most of it? I have only pulled the one head, but pistons look good and I can still see crosshatch on cylinders 2/4 (6/8 were up) - not bad for 137k! Engine smelled burnt though when opened up (if you've smelled that scent before, you know what I'm talking about). I'm sure it'd run well enough for the event given limited time actually required to run (in case I decide on this car instead since all the budget room) but this engine is a royal PITA to work on! I don't relish idea of tearing down again soon (this will be a long-term project with ultimate goal of SCCA CAM S - all of this is new to me, but thinking that's where I'll end up).

I originally thought S4 would be a fun autocross car (gut it to lighten the pig and I just love VAG cars - have owned 10+), but it's so damn expensive. It's engine isn't 100% strong and you can't really rebuild them in your garage. So eventually it's either junk yard swap or $18k to the one company that does rebuild em. So I'm either using it for this challenge and then selling or just selling it now to fund the Z28. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/20/19 8:02 a.m.

Can you do a feeler gauge check on the pistons to confirm that the rods aren't bent? If they aren't I'd try and slap the Z28 back together and see what's what. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4hocNVZyO1JujgnkfsQjhbBD7CHBF3SouxZJMN6x4p8mYkZ6h62ysTwWUsGqXEMm