1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 38
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/16 8:48 p.m.

I wrote that last post several hours ago. I just checked the fridge. Surprisingly enough, it's cooling like it's supposed to.

I'll probably still end up changing it out to a 12v compressor fridge, but now it isn't something that has to be at the top of the list.

Toyman01
2/20/16 7:01 p.m.

We got the rest of the bus pressure washed today.

Everyone got in on the action.

Now I have a bit of a dilemma.

As much as I would love to spend $10K dollars and 1000s of hours on paint and body work, that's not in the monetary or time budget. That leaves me with throwing a flat paint on it as it sits, doing a funky/fun paint job, or doing some sanding and filling and maybe shooting it with a semigloss or gloss. I'm not sure which way to go with it.

I did do a half ass repair on the vents in the front roof. I wish I had the skill to make a new piece for this, but I don't. The top is getting a coat of elastomeric paint which is pretty thick stuff, so I don't think this will be visible from the ground once the roof is painted.

What I started with.

The ugly fix. This entire section is bent. I've popped out the worst of it, but it's still not very straight. Not something I'm proud of, but without the ability or tools to make a compound curved replacement panel, this is what I'm stuck with for now.

From the ground. Hopefully it won't be noticed.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get a coat of primer on the roof.

More to come.

Toyman01
2/20/16 7:03 p.m.

And if anyone has some suggestions for paint, I'm all ears. I'm at a loss and I don't think my standard white will work. The poor thing would look like Moby Dick.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
2/20/16 7:11 p.m.

Scion cement.

Or school bus yellow.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/16 7:14 p.m.

Plastidip??? Just hope it doesn't peel off in one gigantic sheet going down the highway!

Toyman01
2/20/16 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

There are several states that only allow school bus yellow to be on school buses. I don't think SC is one of them, but I plan to do a good bit of traveling in it.

The Cement is a good idea. As it sits, it's not very smooth. I could shoot it in flat, do some shadowing with an airbrush and it would look just like cement. Hmmm.

Something like this. It even already has panel lines. That's a thought.

Toyman01
2/20/16 7:24 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

If it costs $500 to shoot a SUV the bus would cost about $1500+ for enough material to shoot a bus. I'm cheaper than that.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/20/16 7:57 p.m.

Last time I checked tractor paint was $26 a gallon at Tractor Supply Company. It comes in all the OEM tractor colours. Just pick one and have at it.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
2/20/16 8:09 p.m.

Staying within common tractor paints, Oliver Green.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/16 8:40 p.m.

Tractor Supply two tone?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/20/16 8:48 p.m.

What look are you going for? Do you want to fit in with the high dollar stuff? Do you want a vintage look? Do you want artsy? Do you just want coverage? Do you have anything else it would look cool to match (Race car, etc?) I would personally say white with some accent lines or patterns to break it up. Its so big that I think one color will be an overwhelming presence.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
2/20/16 8:50 p.m.

Toss on some of the big rig type Amber teardrop lights over the repaired part over the window, win win.

As for paint, I say tractor supply international harvester white (hides bends and waves better) and a Wagner power shot haha. Or maybe Massey fergeson grey. Maybe 3 or 4 gallons at $29.99?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/20/16 8:56 p.m.

I'm really digging the red/white bus schemes I find googling vintage RV. Vintage look with colors that don't scream vintage.

Toyman01
2/20/16 9:00 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

I just want it covered. I also don't want people to look at it and wonder what kind of drugs I'm carrying.

Fitting in with the high dollar rigs is out, I don't run with that crowd. Vintage is good, I like vintage. Matching the Abomination would be interesting but I would have to do something with the sides to break up the monotony.

Toyman01
2/20/16 9:03 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

I like the red as well. I'm not sure I'm going to have a smooth enough surface to shoot a gloss and have it look decent. Maybe a white base with red trim sections.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/20/16 9:07 p.m.

My love for the look of the abomination may have influenced my opinion.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/20/16 9:09 p.m.

John Deere green with yellow fenders.

java230
java230 HalfDork
2/20/16 9:18 p.m.

Grey/red would be good as well, will hide a bit more than white. I have had really good luck with the Rustoleum enamel with some hardener in it. Should be similar to the tractor supply stuff.

iBoats forum in the starcraft section has a great cheap painting of aluminum boats how to, should be close to what you have.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/20/16 9:18 p.m.

So many cool paint ideas. I'd struggle to pick one!

I like the different color front fenders

White with red

Green with white??

Toyman01
2/20/16 9:24 p.m.

Tractor Supply paint colors. They do have a Ford Red.

I could shoot School Bus yellow with Ford Red striping.

Toyman01
2/20/16 9:27 p.m.

Except the roof paint I have already bought is a highly reflective roof paint in white. So the roof is going to be white no matter what the rest of the bus get painted.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/20/16 9:35 p.m.

Gulf style livery with the ford blue and kubota orange.

Edited to add: It looks like the emerald gypsy has had the same roof vent repair that you did Toyman

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/20/16 9:43 p.m.

The Emerald Gypsy builder can be found here! Might be a good resource.

http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?t=989

Son_Of_Toyman
Son_Of_Toyman New Reader
2/20/16 9:44 p.m.

It does!

Toyman01
2/20/16 9:44 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Gulf style livery with the ford blue and kubota orange.

Now that has possibilities.

I could take the orange from the bottom of the fenders down the bus at the top of the rear wheel arch and then paint the wheels blue.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nRamrAy3ruzfLd22C6gqRfAbCuBJ2Iv2YZkPV0hbOeBqBAct89vgPfVo9kvNy0Hf