1 2
Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/26/13 11:39 a.m.

I'm not sure what to make of this...or what the purpose is. But it sure is interesting.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/4085721198.html

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/26/13 11:42 a.m.

Looks like it once had giant fender skirts to cover all that up, too... Maybe the trunk lid opens up to reveal a 5th wheel shoe?

I am tempted to drive up to Allentown just to look at it.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
9/26/13 11:43 a.m.

Tag axle to support the weight of the hot tub they never got around to adding?

Bryce

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/26/13 11:45 a.m.

Its an extra set of wheels to support all dem dead hoes in the trunk.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/26/13 11:49 a.m.

Damn. I used to have a 225 like that, minus the add-ons. Sad to see such a cool car get mucked up like that.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/26/13 11:50 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Damn. I used to have a 225 like that, minus the add-ons. Sad to see such a cool car get mucked up like that.

If you read the CL ad, it says it was factory. Hydraulic tag axle like a dumper or garbage truck.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
9/26/13 11:57 a.m.

Factory? What factory I wonder. I wish the seller put up some more photos. Interesting beast.

I ran into this six wheeled Toronado a while back ... was a show car in the 70s.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/fieldside-classics/oldsmobile-toronado-custom/

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
9/26/13 12:01 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Tag axle to support the weight of the hot tub they never got around to adding? Bryce

maybe?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
9/26/13 12:11 p.m.

I actually think it looks cool when I imagine the fender skirts that are supposed to be there.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/26/13 12:12 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Its an extra set of wheels to support all dem dead hoes in the trunk.

Too much GTA5

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
9/26/13 12:12 p.m.

that's wild. Wish it were closer because I'd love to take a good look at it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/26/13 12:13 p.m.
RossD wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: Its an extra set of wheels to support all dem dead hoes in the trunk.
Too much GTA5

I never knew there was such a thing...

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/26/13 12:24 p.m.
Duke wrote: Looks like it once had giant fender skirts to cover all that up, too... Maybe the trunk lid opens up to reveal a 5th wheel shoe? I am tempted to drive up to Allentown just to look at it.

Same here... what are you doing Sunday evening? I'll be in the Quakertown area...

A Google-search turned up nada on the "factory car" bit... I'd sweear the photo looks like a P-shop job...

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/26/13 12:25 p.m.
Duke wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Damn. I used to have a 225 like that, minus the add-ons. Sad to see such a cool car get mucked up like that.
If you read the CL ad, it says it was factory. Hydraulic tag axle like a dumper or garbage truck.

I did read it. Factory or not, it's sad to see such a cool car get mucked up. And by "factory", they don't mean Buick.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/13 12:34 p.m.

Here is mention of it from '04.

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?59320-%B470-Electra-6-wheel

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/26/13 12:41 p.m.

If you are going to do a 6 wheel vehicle, it should be something like this:

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/26/13 1:05 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Here is mention of it from '04. http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?59320-%B470-Electra-6-wheel

Not really. They eventually link to the same CL ad a couple of days ago.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/26/13 1:05 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
RossD wrote:
Too much GTA5
I never knew there was such a thing...

Only when your local PD breaks down the door to your gaming room to ask you about the dead bodies you talked about on the internet.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
9/26/13 1:16 p.m.

I like it...and the Toronado...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
9/26/13 1:21 p.m.

It needs to tow a goose neck open trailer full of vintage buick powered Indy cars.

m4ff3w
9/26/13 1:44 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: Here is mention of it from '04. http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?59320-%B470-Electra-6-wheel
Not really. They eventually link to the same CL ad a couple of days ago.

"From what I heard one was for sale at Carlisle or Hersey. Info says Buick made three of these cars with only one survivor. If anyone has info I sure would appreciate anything."

"I have seen it, it's light blue if memory serves me right, strange looking thing"

"if memory serves me right it was behind the axle - it had bumps(Kinda like Lincoln Humps on the trunk of the Marks) in the quarters to accomadate the wheels -"

"Yes........now I remember........I forget where but I've seen a picture of that.........God, that thing is ugly.......that takes the term sacrilige to a whole new level. I didn't know it was a Buick for some reason. (that was probably a good thing) "

I think all of those sound like a mention of the same car from '04.

m4ff3w
9/26/13 1:55 p.m.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/"6$20wheel$20buick"/rec.autos.antique/Ng5Irj1k6QE/7De98gBu38cJ

Rec.Autos.Antique said: -Factory Buick 6 wheeler pulls up to 10,000 lbs. -2 posts by 2 authors -4/21/1996 -jd...@lehigh.edu -Has anyone ever heard about an experimental factory built 6 wheel buick? I know this sounds crazy, but I heard that they made some on early 70's Electras so it could hall heavy loads with a beafed up frame. The wheel was located in rear fender and could be lowered hydralically when needed. Does anyone have any info on this crazy contraption?
Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/26/13 1:55 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

I don't know... that picture (of a picture...) still looks fishy to me... the tag wheel just looks out of proportion (too large) to the other wheels.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/26/13 2:09 p.m.

I don't know if it's legit or not, though the background in the photo doesn't appear consistent with most of what you'd see in the town the car is advertised in. Not that it couldn't exist, but it's not what most driveways/yards look like. It's only 15-20 minutes from my office if anyone is really interested.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
9/26/13 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

Man, just go and find out what it is, what it does and why it exists. The curiosity is killing me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G5xvwRWqaHMuPiub58BKnxiah426u1haTwN877d5DkmeSUKcU1isqeaSoG3k7EqL