1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/18/23 7:01 p.m.

Just saw the post on the track’s FB: We’re closed. Like, forever. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/23 7:06 p.m.

Oh wow, that sucks

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
7/18/23 7:12 p.m.

Sucks to hear.  I have never been there, but always heard about it because of its density altitude in the early and late months, making it a prime location to post personal bests.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/23 7:15 p.m.

That was very unexpected

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/18/23 7:52 p.m.

Been there once and wasn't impressed 22? yrs ago. Only thing good was the trackside bar. That was the year a group of us changed out a motor in the pits in the dark with a buddy of ours backup motor. Even got into 5.0 magazine that year.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
7/19/23 9:03 a.m.

So I posted this on a Facebook group when I saw the news. Conflicting reports that they were "hacked" and this isn't true vs. they are closing to perform updates/repairs vs. they were purchased by a auto auction business. 

TR7
TR7 Reader
7/19/23 9:15 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

I was talking to one of the guys that works there, they got the phonecall last night that its over.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/19/23 9:26 a.m.

The Summit Drive-n-drag tour just ran there last week, but I didn't hear anything about it closing then.

TR7
TR7 Reader
7/19/23 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yea, it was really abrupt. The same day they announced the closure, they were also promoting events for the rest of the summer.... 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
7/19/23 9:57 a.m.

In reply to TR7 :

So I'm curious the context of that phone call.  The warehousing developer was probably like, ok, our offer is double and Lenny just said sold and hung up.

TR7
TR7 Reader
7/19/23 10:36 a.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

I dont know the guy that well so I wasnt pressing for details, he just comes by my building sometimes to pick up his SO. The vibe I got from him was it was a pretty cold and short call from the owner. Though for years everyone had the vibe that Len would have sold the place for a $5 and a ham sandwich if he could. It was all the legal, zoning, environmental, pinelands commission, and township board that kept blocking sales. The developer probably finally got through that. 

Either way I am really bummed. It may not have been the fanciest place, but it was a great close-to-home laid back place to hang out and have a good time, even if you just had an hour or two to spare on a Tuesday. Now there is an emptiness that cant be replaced. 

I dont even like drag racing..... 

outasite
outasite HalfDork
7/19/23 11:00 a.m.

I competed with a 68 GTO and a 69 MGB in late 60s/early 70s at Atco. Used to have a trophy from there.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/19/23 11:34 a.m.
Javelin said:

That was very unexpected

Pan-Ams this past weekend was one of (if not the) largest event they ever had there. indecision

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
7/19/23 11:37 a.m.

In reply to TR7 :

that is just an absolute downer of a post lol

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/19/23 11:41 a.m.

This is the last Stand of ATCO.  Link below is the grand stand sale

Grand Stands

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/19/23 11:44 a.m.

Back in the 80's when I was with Hurst Performance, they did a "Blow Up You Car" day at ATCO.  I brought out my D PROD GT6+

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/20/23 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Spitsix :

Thanks for sharing that photo, Scott. I saw it on FB and was like, Scott’s even cooler than we thought.

Thanks!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/20/23 10:55 a.m.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/20/23 11:26 a.m.

It's a real shame to see these historic sites closing, but the truth is the property is just becoming more valuable as something other than a racetrack as urban sprawl closes in on what used to be outlying areas.  We had four dragstrips in AZ at one time, and in ~30 years are now down to one.  For the entire state.

Out here in the West we used to joke that Atco was ~100ft short of 1320...  if you wanted to set a record, or get the best time out of something, Atco was where you went.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/23 11:33 a.m.
Spitsix said:

This is the last Stand of ATCO.  Link below is the grand stand sale

Grand Stands

***FAZZIO'S DID NOT BUY THE TRACK***  
We do not know who the new owners are. We are working with the previous owners, any questions regarding the track should be directed towards them.***

Seriously, those grandstands would be a great deal for a high school :) 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
7/20/23 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

wait, what is the last track in Arizona?

tb
tb Dork
7/20/23 12:14 p.m.

Wow, why does it suddenly feel like I just took a punch in the gut. My wife keeps telling me I am getting old, maybe on to something.

That strip was my teenage Friday nights and all week prepping in between. First real track I ever went to and the sight of many a hotly contested grudge match.

Hadn't been there in forever but kinda sad I'll never get to go back...

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
7/20/23 12:25 p.m.
Rodan said:

It's a real shame to see these historic sites closing, but the truth is the property is just becoming more valuable as something other than a racetrack as urban sprawl closes in on what used to be outlying areas.  We had four dragstrips in AZ at one time, and in ~30 years are now down to one.  For the entire state.

Not sure which remaining one you are referring to but Firebird (or whatever it is called now) will be gone by next year.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
7/20/23 1:12 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

what were the 4 and what is left?

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/20/23 1:47 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Tucson Dragway is still open.

Wildhorse (Firebird) appears to have had their last event on June 30th...  I had thought they had closed after the NHRA event in March, but I guess they ran through June.

Speedworld Dragstrip NW of Phoenix closed about 10 years ago, and Beeline Dragway was the fourth, but they closed 40+ years ago.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RvftgIYXtbXrjMGCLlduoQCIB4AlGYy0ERipa2Aqon2eKtpVPC8LFjNbeaFJ3mBl