docwyte
docwyte Dork
10/2/14 10:40 a.m.

Just replaced the front pads/rotors on my '11 Audi S4. They were silent before I did this.

Replaced with slotted front rotors and street pads from Textar. Put everything back together and the car sounded like a garbage truck on light stops. Bedded the pads in twice, no difference.

Took everything apart a few days later (all was put together properly) and put anti squeal on the backs of the outboard pads. Can't put it on the inboard pads as they have spring clips that engage the caliper piston.

The squeal is mostly one now, but it intermittently returns. The stuff I used was a spray, should I go buy some anti squeal paste? I also beveled the leading the trailing edges with a file...

Suggestions?

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
10/2/14 10:49 a.m.

I've never used a spray. I use paste/goo. I've never had a problem except with really aggressive pads, but even they just gave me a little squeak at low speeds and light applications. Did you lubricate slider pins and other moving parts?

If that doesn't work, try putting the paste on the pad surface themselves. That should quiet everything down... (I'm kidding, don't really do this!)

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/2/14 10:58 a.m.

Yes, go with the paste, and rub the front surface lightly on a smooth concrete floor before you put them back in.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/2/14 12:12 p.m.

wouldn't the inboard still have something between the pad and the piston ? yeah I understand that it will be a real PITA to have to break it down that far, but the paste anti-squeal on the backs of both pads should do the trick

and as others mentioned, the only times I've ever had a "problem" with pad squeal is with race pads in low speed/light applications

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/2/14 12:18 p.m.

I have corrected this problem before by putting a chamfer on the leading and trailing edges of the pads.

If the goo doesn't work, you might want to give that a shot.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
10/2/14 1:25 p.m.

I filed the leading and trailing edges of the pads with a file. I'll try some of the goo, wheels need to come off this weekend anyways...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
10/2/14 6:47 p.m.

Loud brakes save pedestrians lives every day. Be safe!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z9YauUf6wGLge3JCMevXFo1UENODrfKDgDiJfm9YancT10AWfHyes5daOvMdskhN