1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 60
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/11 2:59 p.m.

While I know the three ideas I have will likely come up short, I think they would appeal to more than a fat guy from Michigan. We shall see.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/3/11 3:13 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I hope we get a chance to see all of the designs, or at least some "finalists", not just the winning one. A thought, would FF accept a few different winners? Build the same chassis for a hot hatch, for a roadster, for a coupe? Maybe three bodies for the same car? That may turn out to be too much production costs because you only amortize your capital costs over 1/3rd of the whole number.

Earlier in the thread Dave Smith mentioned having a weekly "best of" pick that we'll share with everyone. That artist will get some various swag (Hat or T-shirt, etc...) and we'll start posting the weekly winners in a special gallery. Those winners will also be locked in as original concepts, so if a strikingly similar design comes along we'll know who came first. (since some entrants already expressed concerns over their best ideas being stolen)

Regardless, when judging time comes ALL entries will be reviewed, not just the weekly winners.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/11 3:20 p.m.

btw - If I were the winning designer, I'd rather have kit #1 than the cash.

Just saying....

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/3/11 3:22 p.m.

yeah, but Id also be happy just getting my name somewhere in the books as an auto designer lol

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/11 3:23 p.m.

Here are some cool mid-engined concepts:

New Saleen-powered car?

Revenge Verde:

Future Noble:

Future Ferrari?

DonkerV
DonkerV
3/3/11 3:52 p.m.

While all those cars are very interesting, I doubt it can be built for 15K... It would have to me more minimalist or simple I suppose. But those are great !!!

MattPerez
MattPerez New Reader
3/3/11 4:26 p.m.

Dave, i think everyones approach is going to be different but i like to use projected curves. I have written a few documents on complex surfacing if you want to check out my website.

www.solidworkslessons.info.

in the download section there is a tutorial for drawing this.

I personally find it much easier to draw the surface than to come up with the idea:) If you download the pdf for drawing the camaro you will see the projected curve approach. I typically will start with the hood then either move to the fender or front end and work back from there but I dont have a set method. Sometimes that doesnt work. We don't need to clutter this thread up with the how to details but feel free to email me through the contact form on my site and ill do what i can to get you started in the right direction.

DILYSI Dave wrote:
MattPerez wrote: Since I know we can have multiple entries im sure that front end will make it into one of my designs:) That was the result of just free sketching in solidworks with no pics to work off of.
Matt - if you don't mind me asking, got any tips for this? I've got probably 10,000 hours on the software and have been using it since release '99. I can do mechanism design in SW like a mad man. I've also done a fair bit of nurb surfaces when there is something else constraining me (for instance, I've designed a lot of injection molded pieces to mate with complex surface geometry on cars, but even then, scans of the car typically defined the surface geometry). What I haven't done is free-form stuff like you posted. Got any suggestions on how to get started with that?
MattPerez
MattPerez New Reader
3/3/11 4:28 p.m.

The saleen looks a little too close to the car im drawing now. Can i sue:)

dyintorace wrote: Here are some cool mid-engined concepts: New Saleen-powered car? Revenge Verde: Future Noble: Future Ferrari?
Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
3/3/11 4:38 p.m.
MattPerez wrote: Dave, i think everyones approach is going to be different but i like to use projected curves. I have written a few documents on complex surfacing if you want to check out my website. www.solidworkslessons.info. in the download section there is a tutorial for drawing this. I personally find it much easier to draw the surface than to come up with the idea:) If you download the pdf for drawing the camaro you will see the projected curve approach. I typically will start with the hood then either move to the fender or front end and work back from there but I dont have a set method. Sometimes that doesnt work. We don't need to clutter this thread up with the how to details but feel free to email me through the contact form on my site and ill do what i can to get you started in the right direction.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
MattPerez wrote: Since I know we can have multiple entries im sure that front end will make it into one of my designs:) That was the result of just free sketching in solidworks with no pics to work off of.
Matt - if you don't mind me asking, got any tips for this? I've got probably 10,000 hours on the software and have been using it since release '99. I can do mechanism design in SW like a mad man. I've also done a fair bit of nurb surfaces when there is something else constraining me (for instance, I've designed a lot of injection molded pieces to mate with complex surface geometry on cars, but even then, scans of the car typically defined the surface geometry). What I haven't done is free-form stuff like you posted. Got any suggestions on how to get started with that?

Wow. I too have a good amount of seat time in SW, but everything I do has form following function so it's very different from something like this. Thanks for the tutorial.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/3/11 8:39 p.m.

Count me in as one of the people who are cross shopping the '65 Roadster, the Smyth Performance G3F, and this newest one. I've been up to FFR several times for their open houses, and these guys get it. One ride in an FFR Roadster with a SC'd 331 with AFR heads made a believer of me! Can't wait to see the designs on this one!

confusis
confusis New Reader
3/3/11 11:57 p.m.

I'm using a program called Sketchup for my design work.. Lot more challenging doing curves than Solidworks, but it's my forte so I shall stick with it!

rsjunderground
rsjunderground None
3/4/11 2:37 a.m.

Hi everyone, i was wondering, if when you said mid-engined, its because the engine is between the front axle an the driver, or between the driver and the rear axle.

thanks in advance. Jesus bless you.

rsjunderground
rsjunderground New Reader
3/4/11 2:43 a.m.

and.. can i change the driver position?

seansverige
seansverige New Reader
3/4/11 4:24 a.m.
rsjunderground wrote: and.. can i change the driver position?

just pretend you're working from the original template ;P

seansverige
seansverige New Reader
3/4/11 4:49 a.m.

Had some info from the guy responsible for V-Storm chassis:

Top of transmission casing 500mm from ground Top of intake plenum 750mm from ground Front of engine 620mm forward of axle line and the important one: rear overhang of transmission 500mm (all measurements approximate)

Working off Peter's figures, we would get a rear overhang of 660mm: a difference of over 6 inches Could it be that these measurements (not unreasonably) included the propshaft output housing? I've roughly blocked it out in red below:

Free Photo Sharing by ThumbSnap

It's only a few inches, but according to my girlfriend, that can make all the difference... ;P

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
3/4/11 8:26 a.m.

just sent mine in!

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/11 8:36 a.m.

I have an idea that could perhaps be a quite good one... lets just say a hardshell ragtop for now

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/11 8:44 a.m.
dj06482 wrote: Count me in as one of the people who are cross shopping the '65 Roadster, the Smyth Performance G3F, and this newest one. I've been up to FFR several times for their open houses, and these guys get it. One ride in an FFR Roadster with a SC'd 331 with AFR heads made a believer of me! Can't wait to see the designs on this one!

I'm in the same camp as you. So much so that I've got a deposit down on a beta G3F. Not sure I'm going to go through with the build though. It's drifted away from the original design and I'm not sure I still like it as much. I've always been enamored with the '65 Roadster too and am very interested to see what this new FFR car turns into.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/4/11 9:09 a.m.

In reply to seansverige:

It's possible, but I think you're looking for a level of detail that isn't practical at the moment. How critical are those 6 inches to the integrity of your design?

If it were me, I'd stay with the template rather that use specifications from another source entirely. Your mileage may vary.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/4/11 9:13 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: just sent mine in!

And I just got it. Keep 'em coming! So far I'm looking at 5 official entries and 1 really nice preview.

Which reminds me- PLEASE make sure to include your contact information on your entry. It wouldn't hurt to use your name in the file name, either.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
3/4/11 9:19 a.m.

Is there a limit to how many we could submit?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/4/11 9:28 a.m.
MattPerez wrote: Dave, i think everyones approach is going to be different but i like to use projected curves. I have written a few documents on complex surfacing if you want to check out my website. www.solidworkslessons.info. in the download section there is a tutorial for drawing this. I personally find it much easier to draw the surface than to come up with the idea:) If you download the pdf for drawing the camaro you will see the projected curve approach. I typically will start with the hood then either move to the fender or front end and work back from there but I dont have a set method. Sometimes that doesnt work. We don't need to clutter this thread up with the how to details but feel free to email me through the contact form on my site and ill do what i can to get you started in the right direction.
DILYSI Dave wrote:

REALLY impressive stuff man. Honestly, I didn't know SW was capable of some of that. Some interesting approaches to the problems too.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/4/11 9:44 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Is there a limit to how many we could submit?

Nope. (Though you can only win once.)

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/4/11 9:46 a.m.

you shoulda received mine this morning as well.

I.
<3.
This.
Forum.

GRM is probably the most "in tune" with its readership base than any other mag out there today. Thanks guys for all you do, and for being so progressive, and for giving us so much!

bluej
bluej HalfDork
3/4/11 10:03 a.m.

Don't think I saw this anywhere, but roughly when during the week is the cutoff for the weekly gallery? I don't know about anybody else, but some small deadlines help me move along

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
csIOHw6TlolCUx9XkVXOrv5CirbyCsjEb8UF1p84kUm00RgMH1r0C1wb8RiOL0la