2/29/24 3:19 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/24 3:54 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

BBC says he was cleared.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/68411597

I suspect he's just too valuable to Red Bull to lose, and pretty much the only people who could fire him would be  the owners of the Red Bull megacorp. Horner is the CEO of Red Bull Racing. So they conducted a closed door investigation and found what they wanted to find.

Eh, maybe. These things have a way of getting out, and if it turned out they didn't do a thorough job and there was something to it, they'd face a PR E36 M3storm. I don't know that Horner is THAT important.

So, like you were saying, things have a way of getting out.

Red Bull's majority owners are from Thailand. My wife is convinced that since Thailand doesn't have the greatest track record in dealing with pesky little things like sexual harassment and rape that they didn't really think it was important, and they had the final word on the ruling.

Keith Tanner
2/29/24 4:02 p.m.

In non-Horner news, here's an example of how sensitive these cars and drivers are. Last year, Lewis felt the seating position of the Mercedes was too far forward so he didn't have enough feel for the rear tires. For 2024, that's fixed.

“My seat position is finally further rearwards, I’ve got a better feel for the car approaching the corners” 

How much was the change? 100mm, or about 4". In a car with a wheelbase of 3600mm/142", so that's less than 3" of the wheelbase.

I'm tempted to try to move my seat back 4" and adjust the pedals and wheel accordingly and see how much of a difference that makes.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/29/24 4:34 p.m.

I can see a 4" making a pretty big difference in the feel of the car and the weight distribution.

And there's a "That's what she said" joke in there somewhere... laugh

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/29/24 10:43 p.m.

It's been a while since Merc was undoubtedly the fastest car on the track.  Only fp2, but still.

Like she said, that extra 4 inches made for happiness.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
3/1/24 5:17 a.m.

We will find out this morning if RedBull was sandbagging. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/1/24 6:32 a.m.

In reply to DrMikeCSI :

Not if but more by how much.

BadBug
BadBug GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/1/24 6:49 a.m.

4-inches to you and me in our street cars is essentially undetectable. But in a highly tuned F1 car, driven by a world-class professional who is capable of sensing things like tires that have a few less psi in them than on the previous lap, this seems like a pretty big impact to me.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/1/24 8:02 a.m.

I'm liking the new team logos for no reason other than the fact I can now tell all 10 teams apart in the little timing box on the left side of the screen.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/1/24 9:26 a.m.

Watching the F2, Crawford is looking good so far.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/1/24 9:34 a.m.

I figure if  you started driving hi-performance go-carts when you were 5 years old (like Max), or at least a pre-teen,  not much about vehicle dynamics and grip is undetectable.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/1/24 12:05 p.m.

Well...   E36 M3.  Max on top again.

How bout hulkenburg!  Damn q3 in the haas!

I was really hoping a mclaren or Ferrari would spoil the redbull show.  

Really close for the top 9!

markvince
markvince New Reader
3/1/24 1:32 p.m.

Good to see some really close times in the top 10. We should see some really close battles in tomorrow's race.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/1/24 4:24 p.m.

The Hulk has been out-driving Kmag ever since he joined the team......I think Kmag has lost the plot since he started having kids. Maybe F1 is for young single guys?

Max pulled it out at the end, but LeClerc's time in Q2 was faster than Max's time in Q3, so there is some pace in the Ferrari again this year, but it remains to be seen if they can keep it up during the race - same for the HAAS. 

Big Macs were a bit of a disappointment, as were the Astons......the bottom 10 were as expected, as the Alpines were slow in testing too.

Hamilton says his low qually spot is due to setting up for the race, we'll see......

Keith Tanner
3/1/24 4:48 p.m.

Hamilton did make some comments about a lack of race pace after practice, so maybe that's the goal. It's a real disadvantage right from the start, though. It'll be a fun watch tomorrow.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
3/1/24 7:16 p.m.

Don't know how good it would be with them there but Piastri and Alonso doing better than anyone at Alpine.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/24 8:02 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Although I am not a fan bit of either of the French drivers (particularly Ocon) I think this is a POS car problem, not a driver talent issue. 
I do agree that KMag may be at the end of the line. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/24 10:02 a.m.

Cars are rolling to the grid on the formation lap right now for anyone thinking the race is tomorrow

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/2/24 10:11 a.m.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Russell looks racy tho. Maybe Max won't win by 60 seconds.

At least Carlos is giving us a race, at his pace he may catch Checo.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/2/24 10:23 a.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Russell looks racy tho. Maybe Max won't win by 60 seconds.

The only "change" seems that Mercedes seems to have better race pace than last season. Too bad that Ferrari can't say the same. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/2/24 10:33 a.m.
alfadriver said:

The only "change" seems that Mercedes seems to have better race pace than last season. Too bad that Ferrari can't say the same. 

So much for that, both Mercedes struggling with the hybrid power system. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/2/24 10:38 a.m.

Jezza said something during the grid walk that makes sense now. He was wondering what the teams other than RedBull were doing over the winter, because looking at the lap times the time delta to the RedBulls was the same as last year.  Didn't look that way in practice or qually, but certainly looks that way on race pace.

Cyclone03
Cyclone03 New Reader
3/2/24 11:13 a.m.

Jezza said something during the grid walk that makes sense now. He was wondering what the teams other than RedBull were doing over the winter, because looking at the lap times the time delta to the RedBulls was the same as last year.  Didn't look that way in practice or qually, but certainly looks that way on race pace.

and Martin didn't get it.

The delta top to bottom is near the same.

BTW did Sky hire Gunther? I look forward to "colorful" comments this year.

Lets hope they allow him a long leash.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/24 11:39 a.m.

Wow, had Ricardo's onbaord on for the end of the race and on the cool down lap Yuki took a run at him!

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/2/24 11:40 a.m.

Yawner.....

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 62

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OeMw9lhIgHA39A6EDjcaTS3JY5vSNA273zSPCmvAug8IXPHjgl4qHNTIM2OIoHUO