1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/12/12 7:52 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I agree the guy in front of me is more important. But when the phone doesn't get answered and that person calls back, asks for the manager and tears him a new azzhole you can bet counter monkey will get an ass chewing for not being able to be in two places at once and the beat goes on.

The jobber store I worked at mainly sold to garages, so walk-in customers were absolutely of secondary importance. Fortunately, there were usually three counter guys working during normal hours (8-5, although we were open from 7-6) and we didn't get that many walk-in customers during the day. A few shops had direct phone lines to the store. When they picked up a special phone in their shop, the phone rang at the store and a specific line-button lit up. Those got priority as well. That said, we counter guys were also the ones who checked in stock orders, restocked the shelves as well as light machine shop work (cutting drums & rotors, surfacing flywheels, pressing axle & hub bearings). We had a O-A torch too, so I had some fun playing with that once in awhile.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/12/12 7:57 a.m.
Conquest351 wrote: I need a Skribbita Cap, Rotary, Spork pluk wares, brick pats, and some spinnaz for a Berick Lesa-bre. Had that request a few times...

That's Brooick, not Berick.

I used to cringe inside when someone wanted a 'cop-e-rateh' (carburetor) because I just KNEW that one was going to come back as 'defective' because it didn't fix the problem.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
4/12/12 8:01 a.m.
MA$$hole wrote: This is based off experience, that and when they say I have a 98 Honda LX, or 02 Toyota LE doesn't say much.

My favorite when I was on the counter in the 80's was, " I've got a Toyota SR5."

"Ok sir- An SR5 Corrolla, Celica, pickup..."

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
4/12/12 8:02 a.m.
johnp2 wrote: I feel like that job drained a majority of my enthusiasm for customer assistance.

My anti customer didn't happen in a parts store, but a McD's. In HS, it was the best job I could get. So I helped a deaf person- she's writing all this stuff, and no problem- happens reasonably often.

Later, she comes back contesting the change- she askes for X, and I kindly point out that the reciept says that it was actuall more Y. Cents. I figure that it was a simple misunderstanding like that, but then she asks me for the change. I said I gave it back.... manager gets involved, and reluctantly, we give her the X that she's asking for. Since it was less than $.50, I put it back in the till out of my own pocket, sadly. My register was correct to the penny that night, and I was very sad to be taken like that.

Another day, some guy comes in all stressed, saying his wife was in the hospital- we serve him. Later in the evening, HE comes back for his few cents of change he claims to be entitled to. Very rude- this time the manager backs me. He says he'll take it to a higher level. for freaking change. I was right (according to the till).

some people. I don't know how some of you put up with it sometimes. But bless you that you do.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/12/12 8:05 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
MA$$hole wrote: This is based off experience, that and when they say I have a 98 Honda LX, or 02 Toyota LE doesn't say much.
My favorite when I was on the counter in the 80's was, " I've got a Toyota SR5." "Ok sir- An SR5 Corrolla, Celica, pickup..."

It was funnier when having these conversations with a regular mechanic customer. Basically since he knew he was wrong.

"Hey, it's Frank. I need front brakes for a '84 Toyota SR5..."

"Hi Frank. SR5 Corrolla, Celica, pickup...?"

"%^&$#@!... I'll call you back..." click.

car39
car39 HalfDork
4/12/12 9:16 a.m.

I wanted to order an oil filter for my 95 Miata from the local dealer. The parts guy faxed me a copy of the catalog page and asked me to circle what I wanted. The next closest guy got the sale.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/12/12 9:17 a.m.

I have one, not about customers though, more about employees.

I worked at a parts store and some employees got the idea that they would steal money by counting physical inventory and then compare it to computer inventory. If they were off, they'd take the extra one off the shelf, find an old invoice, do a warranty exchange and pocket the cash. Since I was closing manager, I had to sign off on all returns. They'd bring them to me at the end of the day and say "Oh man, I forgot about this one!" I'd sign it and file it.

Loss prevention came in, investigated, fired and had the guys arrested. Called me in. I said I had signed them and should have investigated further. Was honest and thought all would be forgiven. NOPE! I was fired, arrested, and charged with a Class A Misdemeanor which is STILL on my record.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/12/12 9:26 a.m.

Yeah, in Dale Carnegie one thing they teach you is that employees can definitely get a manager in deep trouble in many ways.

I discovered that one counter guy was selling small stuff (quart of oil, etc) for cash and pocketing the money. That doesn't sound like much until you realize that if he did this four or five times a day x ~$2 x 5 days/week = $50 or so, that's ~$2600.00 a year. If other employees got wind of it and you had, say, 4 of them doing it there's ~$200/week x 52 weeks/year = ~$10,400.00/year. So I had to fire him immediately. It was not worth prosecuting but could not be allowed to continue.

That's one reason I do not desire a retail management position of any kind at all.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/12 10:20 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Keith's FM experience is great and he is obviously very knowledgeable. It's also mostly around a single model of car, which helps dramatically in a phone troubleshooting situation. In a parts store, every customer has a different vehicle and a different need, and being human the parts jockey has not heard of everything. Even in a dealership environment the counter person is dealing with several models across a wide range of years.

Oh, I know it's different. I couldn't tell you what a 305 and 350 SBC have in common or where they differ. My knowledge is very specialized - but I'm also expected to be infallible and the last resort after everything else has failed. People don't call with the easy stuff. So it's a similar sort of experience but at a different level.

And we do get the wacky questions. I'm having a hard time coming up with specific examples, but I'll share any that come to mind.

We do calls from customers who are convinced we didn't ship everything, but haven't actually unpacked the box yet. Luckily, our shipping department is full of rock stars so they almost never screw up. My favorite was someone who said that we hadn't shipped him the rotors for a big brake kit. That kit comes in one big box, with the rotors packaged in a separate box at the bottom. He hadn't noticed this. Don't know why he thought the "empty" box weighed 20 lbs.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
4/12/12 10:30 a.m.

Who here loves the "relay" calls. Hubby is sitting on his ass in front of hte boob tube, havingthe wife call for parts. Every question you ask has to be yelled across the house to the husband who then responds with another shout back.... after about 10 minutes the husband would half the time get up and take the phone from her saying somethign like "Fine... let me talk to them"

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/12/12 10:40 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Who here loves the "relay" calls. Hubby is sitting on his ass in front of hte boob tube, havingthe wife call for parts. Every question you ask has to be yelled across the house to the husband who then responds with another shout back.... after about 10 minutes the husband would half the time get up and take the phone from her saying somethign like "Fine... let me talk to them"

Yup, happens ALL the time.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
4/12/12 10:42 a.m.

Speakerphone is even worse. Husband/wife yelling at the other one in the background while one of them is meandering through the call........

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
4/12/12 10:43 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: Oh a thread that entails my life. My old manager was awesome. He autocrossed, played in a band, played video games, had a great sense of humor and was above all else, fair. I actually enjoyed work when he was there.

that's kinda interesting, you described my boss exactly. but i'm in nebraska. and he still works here.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/12/12 10:44 a.m.

When I worked at Firestone, we had a guy who would call ALL the time from either another shop or doing his backyard work and ask for a quote to replace this or that part on this or that vehicle. I'd give him a quote and he'd say, "How many hours labor time does that call for?" I gave him the number at first but once I realized what he was doing, I'd just respond with, "I'll get it done for you in a day". He stopped calling after about the 3rd time of that reply.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
4/12/12 10:52 a.m.
Tyler H wrote:
belteshazzar wrote: that's all fine and dandy. where my head explodes is when people want me to do the research for them. for example : "i want to put X motor in Y other car, what # do i need?"
That kills me. I'm always the guy right behind them in line with 14 quarts of oil in a handbasket and two little kids dragging on my ankles. My other pet peeve is getting to the counter, only to have the guy pick up a phone call and spend 5-10 minutes diagnosing over the phone. Why does someone who can't be bothered to drag their butt down to the store take priority over someone who is waiting in line, asking to be relieved of their money?

they don't. however, as countermen, we are told to always answer the phone even if the building is on fire. statistically this is more profitable. the guy in front of you is already here, and he'll wait, the guy on the other end of the phone will dial your competitor in about 4 seconds. i hate HATE it as a policy, but it's true. i do it because management tells me i have to. i'm sorry.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
4/12/12 11:11 a.m.

I love when the customer on the phone asks if you can hold while they have someone on call waiting. I always say "sure" and hang up & help the next person. They always call back & say "sorry we got disconnected", I always reply with "nope I hung up".

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
4/12/12 11:34 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
wlkelley3 wrote: We did always try to explain why we ask what engine and stuff because it does make a difference, we understand that.
yeah ... but when I'm buying wiper blades for the F150 ... what does it matter the engine size ?

Doesn't a bigger engine mean it's faster so it would have to be more aerodynamic? jk.
We applied common sense and if we knew it didn't matter then we didn't ask.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/12/12 11:37 a.m.
MA$$hole wrote: I love when the customer on the phone asks if you can hold while they have someone on call waiting. I always say "sure" and hang up & help the next person. They always call back & say "sorry we got disconnected", I always reply with "nope I hung up".

The benefit being, that if they do call back they get someone else.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
4/12/12 11:45 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Who here loves the "relay" calls. Hubby is sitting on his ass in front of hte boob tube, havingthe wife call for parts. Every question you ask has to be yelled across the house to the husband who then responds with another shout back.... after about 10 minutes the husband would half the time get up and take the phone from her saying somethign like "Fine... let me talk to them"

Have that happen on occasion here - worst case is I get a call from someone who is at home and trying to ask a question on behalf of his mechanic, who is at a shop in another city. And for whatever reason, he can't just have the mechanic call me directly. This probably happens once every two months or so.

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
4/12/12 11:58 a.m.

Just called in to an autozone for a valve cover gasket for sisters car...honda with 2.2 4 cyl.

After going through everything and putting it on hold, the gentlemen says..I have 2 in stock do you just need one?

Boy I hope so....

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/12 12:10 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Have that happen on occasion here - worst case is I get a call from someone who is at home and trying to ask a question on behalf of his mechanic, who is at a shop in another city. And for whatever reason, he can't just have the mechanic call me directly. This probably happens once every two months or so.

Yup. Bonus points if the customer didn't quite understand what the mechanic was trying to tell him.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
4/12/12 1:18 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: When I worked at Firestone, we had a guy who would call ALL the time from either another shop or doing his backyard work and ask for a quote to replace this or that part on this or that vehicle. I'd give him a quote and he'd say, "How many hours labor time does that call for?" I gave him the number at first but once I realized what he was doing, I'd just respond with, "I'll get it done for you in a day". He stopped calling after about the 3rd time of that reply.

When I was service manager for half a minute at my SCCA buddy's indie SAAB shop, we had some of those. Back then, there were still a lot of 99s around with the early 4cyl. that had the water pump in the block (yes, there was a special tool..). You'd get a call from the owner asking for an estimate for the repair. Couple of days later, you'd get a call from a mechanic that had never seen one before asking the flat-rate & technique to R&R the impeller. A couple of days after that, the car would arrive at our place on the hook with the pump impeller half-way out (or damaged). I forget the exact dollarage, but yeah--fixing the broken ones was a lot more expensive than the original replacement cost.

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
4/12/12 4:16 p.m.

I understand the debate over priority between phone and in store customers. But the lady at AZ today really pissed me off. While I was walking in the one guy was walking out with a customer to check a battery. The other lady was on the phone when I got there on a parts related call. The third and final employee spent 2 minutes chatting with a customer that had already checked out. Apparently they used to work together and talked about families and old friends while I stood at the counter.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/12/12 4:34 p.m.
Keith wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Yup. Bonus points if the customer didn't quite understand what the mechanic was trying to tell him.

Craziest 'relay call' I ever got: this was ~1987/88. Got a phone call at about 7:45 one morning, it was a military guy calling from England. He had a 1984? US market T Bird that he had brought to England with him that had a driveability problem . He would call us for tech info, then drive to the shop that had the car the next morning and tell the guy what we said. The tech would do whatever, then tell the owner what happened, the owner would then call us the next morning (afternoon for him). This went on for about a week! But they got it fixed.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
4/12/12 5:14 p.m.
Hocrest wrote: I understand the debate over priority between phone and in store customers. But the lady at AZ today really pissed me off. While I was walking in the one guy was walking out with a customer to check a battery. The other lady was on the phone when I got there on a parts related call. The third and final employee spent 2 minutes chatting with a customer that had already checked out. Apparently they used to work together and talked about families and old friends while I stood at the counter.

You had to wait 2 minutes to be helped? 2 WHOLE minutes??? Did you at least have a smart phone to distract yourself? If not, how did you get through such an ordeal?

Slightly tongue in cheek, but come on man, catching up with a customer/friend/former coworker and it only took a minute or two out of everyone's day, that's just being friendly. Comes back to this:

Curmudgeon wrote: So the next time you are on the phone or standing at the counter, please remember that 1) the guy or girl is human, just like you and B) there are six billion other people on the planet and each of them considers themselves as important as you consider yourself to be. In short, learn to have a little patience. You will find that things go a lot better for you.

Most people have an entirely overblown idea of their own self importance.

Anyway, I worked at an AA in college. Definitely had a couple funny stories.

One was a kid with a Type-R who swaggered in:

Him: "Yeah I need a battery for my Type R. It's a Type R. Dunno if you heard me, it's a Type R."

Me: "Nice car man, group size 51R, I'll grab one for you."

Him: "Don't you have to look it up or anything? It's a Type R, they're probably special."

Me: "Nope, it's an Integra, takes a 51R like every other 4 cylinder Honda made."

Him: "Can you show me on the computer? It's probably special."

Me: (ah, so you're that kind of Hype-R owner, douchebag) "Sure, (click-click-click) Here you go, 51R"

Him: "Oh."

Me: "Want me to install it?"

Him: "There's silver, gold, and titanium brand batteries. Which is lightest? It's a Type-R, I need to keep the weight down"

Me: "Aisle 6, motorcycle batteries. Knock yourself out."

Him: "What?"

Me: "What?"

Him: "So you don't know which is lightest? Can you weight them?"

Me: "........No."

Him: "Ok, I'll take whatever's cheapest then."

Then there was the guy with a newer BMW who insisted, absolutely insisted, that his car ran on straight antifreeze. Because it was a BMW, and they're higher performance, so they need more of the antifreeze and less of the water, cause they're special. Had no interest in hearing about how water is what has the heat capacity in a cooling system. Told me him and BMW know more about antifreeze than a dead beat making $8/hr in a parts store....no problem sir, how many gallons would you like?

He came in a week later with a blown head gasket. Isn't that strange?

Then there were the good customers. I helped a guy size bolts and hoses to adapt a Z32 engine into his older Nissan. Took quite a while, and the total bill was less than $40. He always asked for me after that. Helped lots of customers with bulb replacements, even though we weren't really supposed to, and they always appreciated it. It's usually the bad ones that stick in your memory, but it actually somewhat raises my faith in humanity that looking back they were in the minority.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vUSdYEx2AlogKi8ZwLpOycWO240lNxwv0AJhmYMVDsKc2MZWatLOfyckbRgtOC33