1 2 3 ... 5
TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
2/17/16 9:05 p.m.

Cheap easy engine swap... anyone? Easy is the keyword.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/17/16 9:23 p.m.

In a Freelander?

Good Luck

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/16 9:25 p.m.

Putting the Freelander engine into something, or putting something into the Freelander? They use the Rover KV6 engine that was literally not put in ANYTHING else stateside...IIRC the transmissions could also barely survive the stock engine. So...probably not a lot of options for you.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
2/17/16 9:40 p.m.

LS/t56?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/16 9:52 p.m.

I would see if someone would swap a Freelander for a decent engine... .

These things have a bad reputation even in the UK where they tend to be somewhat lenient towards local manufacturers.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/16 10:33 p.m.

most LR mechanics will not touch a freelander with a ten foot spanner.

Chadeux
Chadeux New Reader
2/17/16 11:11 p.m.

I did a google, found rumors of Honda and Toyota swaps with no real evidence, and this:

That probably doesn't help but I figured I needed to share.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/17/16 11:25 p.m.

Ok idea. Horrible execution. Run.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/17/16 11:54 p.m.

Freelanders hold the dubious distinction of the only vehicle in grm history no one will defend.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/16 12:27 a.m.

I very nearly bought an SE3 new. Nice interior, and quite nice to drive. Shame about everything else. Seems I dodged a bullet. One day, when I'm rich, I'll stick one in the garage, and feed it one new engine per five oil changes.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
2/18/16 1:50 a.m.

I once saw someone with a freelander and several XJSs parked at their house and no other cars. I assume they had nowhere important to ever go. There are still a couple freelanders around, but most sure didn't last long.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/18/16 5:07 a.m.
Mike wrote: Nice interior, and quite nice to drive. Shame about everything else.

This could be Land Rovers slogan

Storz
Storz Dork
2/18/16 6:39 a.m.

I am a lover of Land Rovers, but I wouldn't touch a Freelander with someone else's 10 foot pole...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/16 6:52 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:
Mike wrote: Nice interior, and quite nice to drive. Shame about everything else.

It still has to beat "Proudly turning owners into mechanics since 1948"

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/18/16 7:22 a.m.

I once had to explain to my sister why Land Rover ads have people picnicking in them. They're waiting for a tow. Land Rover owers should always carry a picknick basket, it makes ownership much more bearable.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/18/16 7:28 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I once had to explain to my sister why Land Rover ads have people picnicking in them. They're waiting for a tow. Land Rover owers should always carry a picknick basket, it makes ownership much more bearable.

That's great!

Doesn't the basic chassis share it's platform with the Escape? If that's the case, you might be able to swap over a V6/AWD from on and keep everything else.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/18/16 7:28 a.m.

I love the way a Land Rover (even the Freelander) drives. I just wished the damned things were more reliable than...actually I can't think of anything less reliable than a Land Rover. I mean even the VAG guys are like "Damn I feel for you."

pointofdeparture
2/18/16 8:22 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Nope, part of the reason the Freelander is so reviled is because it shares pretty much no parts with anything else on the market, particularly in the US. They were designed right before Land Rover tied up with BMW (well before the Ford era) and made heavy use of UK-market Rover parts. So here in the States, keeping one running is a ridiculously difficult and expensive venture to go through for a soft-roader analogous to a Toyota RAV4. At least with the Discovery and Range Rover, the intense maintenance is justified by their off-road capability...

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/18/16 8:28 a.m.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EUCD_platform

2007 to present is on the Ford EUCD platform. Not saying there are a lot of things common with any of the other vehicles but an entire driveline swap should be the same form.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/18/16 8:41 a.m.

A diesel manual might be good, but of course you can't get that in the US..

pointofdeparture
2/18/16 8:56 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

That is known as the Land Rover LR2 here in the States, due to the massive failure of the Freelander here. If OP has a vehicle badged as a Freelander, it's the crappy non-Ford one.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/16 8:57 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: I love the way a Land Rover (even the Freelander) drives. I just wished the damned things were more reliable than...actually I can't think of anything less reliable than a Land Rover. I mean even the VAG guys are like "Damn I feel for you."

BiTurbo?

The Freelander is easily the worst vehicle ever branded a Land Rover though. Or Range Rover, for that matter. I know they've made some serious turd cars under the Rover brand so I'm not sure about that.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
2/18/16 9:54 a.m.

I almost bought one...with blown head gaskets. Turn out they are the worst motor ever. Something like the cylinder liners move or something like that. Thought was, a dirt bike that I had was having the same problem, so I pressed the cylinder back into place then installed some pins to prevent it from moving again. It worked.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/16 9:56 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:

As someone who owns a Series Land Rover and who hasn't really paid any attention to the new models - that made me laugh.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
2/18/16 10:47 a.m.

Saw a clean example at the junkyard for cheap. Now I know why . Thanks for the heads up.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MsJdGS9BIes3ukygdyasKYhNsnVsDyZL9IjAKmyBD5YlOBiBUonttG5XFxypvEuX