1 2
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 5:58 p.m.

The heaviest I've ever towed any distance was a C4 from Arkansas. 3400lbs? Plus the trailer. 

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/26/21 8:21 p.m.

Having actually towed with a 2012 Ford Explorer with the factory towing package, I can tell you that they are actually a pretty good tow rig. The one thing that I was never impressed with on the Explorer was the rear brake pads. Physically too small and wore significantly faster than the fronts. Towing will make this even more pronounced, so check the rear pads often.

No WDH, probably darn close to 5K lbs (my trailer is no light weight), plus I had 5 rally tires up front and the back full of tools. The rear squat wasn't even that bad. I hauled 3 1/2 hours each way on a combination of winding rural highways and expressways. No I didn't haul at 85mph. It was fine and I'd do it again any day.

The only thing I can't talk about is the issue of the cargo moving around. The Honda was well strapped down and behaved. I also had the advantage of manipulating the positioning of the car to get the right tongue weight.

Since I am separated and the Explorer was traded in to get the Ex-wife a different vehicle, I moved on and bought a dedicated tow pig. 1500HD Chevy - 6L and 4L80E - It is a much better tow rig, but a far worse DD.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3KmOHxG3XR7vU7ZIZgvkITId6L88NkK87weYQLFMhX30pTALQSB4fh05vHQv3I8D