1 2
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/10 7:39 a.m.

yep unfortunately the chevelle and belair and corvette have been outside all summer. old pickup/stock car hybrid is in the garage and the van has been in there since last august or september. we really need to build a bigger garage but it's down the list priority wise after install woodburning furnace because oil heat costs too damn much. we have a nice spot that will fit easily a 1 car deep 4 car wide garage just to park the toys in.

there will be no astro updates this week, we're finishing a big project(complete house remodel in 6 weeks for a flipper) so i'm pulling way too many hours. next on the list is build transmission crossmember so i can get the jack out from under the trans, and add a leaf to each front spring to give a little more capacity, right now they're not cutting it and with engine in they sagged straight down until the tops of the u bolts hit the frame. was waiting for full weight on the front end to complete this task.

steering is figured out, just need to make friends with someone who has a reamer for tie rod end holes. thought i did but can not find it. picked up a nice cnc machined straight steering arm on ebay that will connect my astro pitman arm to the knuckle using the factory drag link from the k5. the side to side sweep of the astro pitman arm is perfect. also have to remove the original fuel tank and rip out all the stock lines, brake and fuel due to rust. going to attempt to use the k5 31gal tank behind the axle where the stock spare tire is, and i have a nice thick skidplate for it if it will fit there. downside is relocating the fuel filler to the passenger side, upside is the tank is here and free.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/21/10 8:46 a.m.

What pitch do you need for the tie rod holes? I have a reamer I can mail to you.

patgizz
9/21/10 5:52 p.m.

dunno, have to check. all the ones advertised i see say "gm pitch" or "ford pitch"

if you mail me one i can hand deliver it back.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
9/21/10 6:27 p.m.

Fuel fill is not on passenger side on vans because it would interfere with the sliding door. But I am sure you have a solution figured out. Build looks great.

patgizz
9/30/10 10:48 a.m.

building trans crossmember out of the k5 unit and the astro one. left side is tacked together, right side is pretty much finished. once the drivetrain is bolted in then i can plumb, have a rear driveshaft made, add my extra leaf up front then raise rear to level, and start buttoning things up.

list to buy:

vss mufflers carb fuel and brake lines, front brake hoses new front calipers rear driveshaft

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/10 11:48 a.m.

I have two flowmasters in my basement.

patgizz
9/30/10 12:09 p.m.

trans crossmember finished - not painted yet.

Gimp wrote: I have two flowmasters in my basement.

cool stuff - that reminds me i need to grab my steering arm and throw it in the car. see you tomorrow sometime. next year we really should make it to gainesville though. ive been saying that for 5 years but we can do it!

patgizz
10/7/10 8:05 a.m.
Gimp wrote: I have two flowmasters in my basement.

we totally forgot about those until sunday morning leaving carli said "werent you guys supposed to get some mufflers out of the basement?" at that point i did not feel like bugging kate by pounding on the door at 9am.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2O01Lb791R7pmbRCEj2QrZLcLDMjLDQ5Wwv7aqFcQNKIrRMM1sU2BhfQZXMH0qDa