1 2 3
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/20 10:41 a.m.

Ran across this one on the YouTube last night and it's actually not bad. As a general rule I can't stand Rob Ferretti or scripted car shows, but this is good. Matt and Emilie are knowledgeable and watchable and the cars are actually a good mix.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/20 12:03 p.m.

Watched the first episode but not Tanner burning them out yet

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/16/20 12:16 p.m.

Tried to watch it.  Didn't last 30 seconds. Doesn't speak to me at all.  May try again in a couple months or years. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/16/20 12:18 p.m.

I want to know why there isn't a car show about old busted Hyundais or Kia's. I mean, that's a huge market of at least 10's of people. 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/16/20 10:54 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I would actually watch that. So make it 11

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
11/16/20 11:10 p.m.

If there was an auto mute feature for every time Rob Ferretti is on the screen I could maybe tolerate it.  Apparently I am not his audience.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
11/17/20 6:09 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I want to know why there isn't a car show about old busted Hyundais or Kia's. I mean, that's a huge market of at least 10's of people. 

Korean Automotive Shenanigans? Im in.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/17/20 7:09 a.m.

Someone explain to me, because I couldn't stomach it long enough to understand the premise:  what are they doing with these cars?  Is there some sort of competition?

Does the token blonde with cutoff jeans add anything to the show?

Edit:  Ok so its basically SCC USCC all over again.  Not bad.  I'm not in love with the show, but I might watch some more.  "Good" seems like a stretch.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/20 7:43 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

Tried to watch it.  Didn't last 30 seconds. Doesn't speak to me at all.  May try again in a couple months or years. 

That about sums up for me as well.  I think it is aimed at a younger audience. I am fearful that I may be getting old and get off my lawn is starting to creep in to my life. 

Also I think we are going to be seeing more of these as Tevarish, Tyler and Ed have proved that there is a market for YouTube based "shows" and Omaze seems to be willing to sponsor them.  

The biggest problem is that the show is a competition that means nothing to me.  I have no vested interest in any of it. 

I think its audience is the same that watch that street drag racing show on Discovery. Another show that I hate but appears to have been extremely successful. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/17/20 7:55 a.m.

I'm in, but I'm a Matt Farrah fan.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/17/20 8:27 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

The more I watch him in things I wonder if I'm truly a fan as well or just jealous of his achievements.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
11/18/20 8:54 a.m.

Watched both episodes last night. I can say I am interested to see how it plays out in the long run, mostly because I have been following Calvo Motorsports craziness for ages and want to see how the 2000hp Viper does overall. 

11/18/20 9:08 a.m.
Placemotorsports said:

The more I watch him in things I wonder if I'm truly a fan as well or just jealous of his achievements.

He's pulled off some cool stuff, though he'd be the first to tell you that his wealthy background helped.

11/18/20 10:58 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Ok so its basically SCC USCC all over again.  Not bad.  I'm not in love with the show, but I might watch some more.  "Good" seems like a stretch.

I think this is the most accurate sum of the show. If you were into Sport Compact Car / USCC, Super Street, Modified, etc, then you'll like it. They actually get technical in some of the closer looks and they talk about how the car feels to drive, where the powerband is, how it shifts, etc.

FYI - the "token blonde" is actually a pretty big YouTuber with quite a bit of racing and drifting experience who builds her own stuff...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/18/20 1:02 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

Ok so its basically SCC USCC all over again.  Not bad.  I'm not in love with the show, but I might watch some more.  "Good" seems like a stretch.

I think this is the most accurate sum of the show. If you were into Sport Compact Car / USCC, Super Street, Modified, etc, then you'll like it. They actually get technical in some of the closer looks and they talk about how the car feels to drive, where the powerband is, how it shifts, etc.

I was into USCC back in the day, but I think I have outgrown it.  Ultimate dyno queen challenge seems more realistic.  This has the illusion of competition, but none of these vehicles are built for any form of competition it appears.  Unless I am missing something?

I'd love to see a benchmark car thrown in there, like the C&D challenge back in the day when a stock Z06 smoked all the highly modified tuner cars.  

11/18/20 1:55 p.m.

The point of the show isn't to find out which one is fastest, it's to find highly-modified cars that actually work (or don't). Honestly, I'm hoping for some carnage.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
11/18/20 2:32 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

From the previews of next episode, it looks like a new orange with black stripe mustang (possibly 2020 Shelby GT500) may be the 'control' car for the track purposes. It being a brand new top tier muscle/sports car it would make sense. Or the mustang is being used simply for promotional preview purposes. 

11/18/20 3:23 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Uh... the S2K has SCCA Time Attack decals all over it and the Calvo Viper is built for FSC competition. But that's not the point. The point is to see if these modified cars actually work for what they intended to do, survive the street, and not break. 

svxsti
svxsti Reader
11/21/20 11:47 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

Agreed.

11/22/20 12:05 p.m.

Episode 3 dropped yesterday and they did 60-150 performance testing. The results were... surprising!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/4/20 8:32 p.m.

I haven't made time to watch the 4th episode yet, but jumping through it real quick it seems like a stock ZR1 smoked a lot of the cars and very few of the cars are actually 'sorted' for track work.  It should be amusing.

The show is growing on me a bit I must admit :)

12/4/20 9:11 p.m.

The fourth episode really showed why they made this show. That was really unexpected and simultaneously hilarious.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
12/4/20 9:50 p.m.

That was actually a lot better than I expected even if the finale was a little bit of a letdown. Maybe it's something about the hosts just being hosts and not necessarily the focus of the show, but Rob and Matt were both about 100x more tolerable than in their own stuff. I still would have picked other people, but I was expecting to be fed up with it about a minute in and it turned out to be good enough that I ended up watching all the episodes and am slightly excited for the rest of the series.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/4/20 10:12 p.m.

The point of the show isn't to find out which one is fastest, it's to find highly-modified cars that actually work (or don't). Honestly, I'm hoping for some carnage.

You'll enjoy episode 4.  Except for the winner part.  Lame. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
12/4/20 11:07 p.m.
NorseDave said:

You'll enjoy episode 4.  Except for the winner part.  Lame. 

Do you mean the wrap up where they announce the winner, or the actual winning car? The presentation of that was definitely underwhelming, like they went over time and had to fil that part themselves or something. IMO the right car won, though the scores probably should have been closer. They were constantly harping on how the endurance part was worth the most and was the biggest factor, and then the difference between completing all the laps and less than half of them was a whopping 5 points.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LERlSUAeCFpukhAEEKwJjTis5E9mHtH4Uk0Ik8eQy91wH3WKPmtAan2XHlB6eGxB