Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/20/22 9:47 a.m.
feature_image

Remember the P25, Prodrive’s 400-horsepower reimaging of the legendary Subaru 22B? It’s set to make its debut at the 2022 Goodwood Festival of Speed, June 23-June 26.

In total, only 25 cars will be built, each one weighing less than 2700 pounds–thanks to lots of carbon fiber–and powered by a 2.5-liter flat-four good for more than 400 horsepower and …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/20/22 9:49 a.m.

surprise

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/20/22 11:47 a.m.

$562,600?  Does that include the dealer market adjustment? 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/20/22 12:08 p.m.

I need to check the powerball numbers.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/20/22 1:39 p.m.

Holy marketing joke batman...that is a bit rich for my blood...wait, I could call my broker...yeah, lets do that. The hell with the retirement fund. ;)  How many people are really gonna step up to the plate for a replica of an Iconic Subie? You could build one as fast as this for much less money and the one you built might actually be affordable to insure.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/20/22 1:45 p.m.

I'm old - and cynical - enough that I completely dismiss cars like this. It's almost cruel how automakers make something just to show that they can - but won't - or tiny batches that are so expensive (worth it or not) as to make them unattainable to normal people.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
6/20/22 2:59 p.m.

Hmmm, looks at GF4 V3 clone in driveway.  My car does about 80% of what that one does plus it's a wagon, must be worth $400k:)

If I unbolt the rear seat and delete the floor mats if would be near 2700lbs too.

Cool car but I wonder if they will find 25 buyers.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/22 3:32 p.m.
kb58 said:

I'm old - and cynical - enough that I completely dismiss cars like this. It's almost cruel how automakers make something just to show that they can - but won't - or tiny batches that are so expensive (worth it or not) as to make them unattainable to normal people.

This isn't a short run from a mass production shop. It's more of a restomod, a modified older Impreza with a whole bunch of hand work on it. That sort of work doesn't really scale into higher production and lower cost.

The provenance of these things are a big part of their value. I can buy a replica of a Van Gogh painting but it's still not a Van Gogh and is thus worth many orders of magnitude less. Not saying this car is necessarily worth the asking price - I've never found where the provenance module is located - but collectors are not function-driven.

It would not surprise me to hear the entire production run is already sold, and other than one or two examples will never accumulate more than 25 miles/year. These aren't cars, they're investment vehicles in the literal sense of the word.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
6/20/22 4:01 p.m.

Move that decimal point over to the left at least two places and you've got yourself a deal, otherwise nope, nada, no thanks.......just can't see a Subie as an investment car......

Keith Tanner
6/20/22 4:02 p.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

$5600 (maximum) for a hand-built new 400 hp car? Harsh.

David S. Wallens
6/20/22 4:12 p.m.

I don't think they'll have trouble moving them. Yes, it's double new Porsche money but also way more limited. I think the fact it's coming from ProDrive carries a lot. Anyway, just my 2c.

David S. Wallens
6/20/22 4:14 p.m.

Just checking ye olde BaT.

Earlier this year, a 22B went unsold at $240,000.

Last year, one sold for $312,555 (cute). 

Keith Tanner
6/20/22 4:27 p.m.

Those who don't think old Subarus can be investments are older than the people who are buying Subarus as investments ;)

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/22 4:38 p.m.

I think it's awesome.  I just wish that with all these crazy expensive cars you actually saw them out doing things and they were not just garage art.  

David S. Wallens
6/20/22 4:44 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Wish I still had mine. :) 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/22 5:44 p.m.

I thought Japanese market GC8s were already in the 2700lb range as is.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
6/21/22 7:42 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Yes they are, but they are adding big brakes and beefier drive train, so will need to offset some of that.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/22 8:11 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

My Evo II GSR was 2600 lbs in stock form and currently detuned to 300 wheel hp. But 400 hp Evos are a dime a dozen.

I love these cars, but the whole "giant killer" thing was a big part of their appeal to me. Not sure I see the point of an Impreza that costs almost 3x the price of a new GT3 RS.

Then again, if you love these kinds of cars, the 22B and Evo VI TME are the apex. And they're not making any more, so I guess the sky's the limit. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/21/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

I have never driven an Evo (a statistic I really would like to change) but GCs are magical to drive, even with a bog slow 2.2 or the trucklike 2.5.   This is a ton of why I tried as hard as possible to get all the suspension mounting points in the Mini the same as in a Subaru, want to retain that magic.

One of my friends just picked up a complete V7 STI drivetrain destined for one of his GCs, I fully intend to wheedle a drive from him when it is done smiley

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/22 7:52 a.m.

My only critique is the wheels and tires. It needs less rim diameter and more sidewall on the tire.  Otherwise a really cool looking car that I hope at least one gets thrashed like it should. 

David S. Wallens
6/22/22 1:01 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

So more of a gravel setup over tarmac? I like that. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/22/22 1:11 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The rally cars had 17" wheels, maaaaybe 18, per FIA.  Those look like 20" or more.  65cm max tire diameter, 225mm width limit for tarmac.  Usually works out to a 225/40-18 or 225/45-17...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
joOv9q8sZ54RwsIa3qzcZAQdQJVv2DhHU3dugi3INW9vryLuN0CDVcDRTnuNaZiO