1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/25/20 4:16 p.m.

Not many comments almost 4 hours into the race- but the bit I saw before going out- not much happened.

But as I sit back down, I saw a very poorly timed dive by the 55 Mazda take out the 7 Acura- spinning and crashing Castroneves into the wall.  Pretty crappy move, for sure- there's plenty of time to make that pass, no need to make a late dive into the bus stop.

Not sure about the pit sequence- but the 2 911's are about 30 seconds in front of the first C8 Vette.  

I'm sure there are a lot of people at the GRM event- the weather looks GREAT!!!  Cool, like in the 60's, but super clear.  SO much better than a year ago.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/25/20 7:12 p.m.

I took my two young children for the 1st time.  They made it from 10:30 till 3:00 which I was totally happy with.  They told me on the way home they had a good time so I will call it a win!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/25/20 9:20 p.m.

I'm not bothering with the streamed parts, but will tine back in at 11pm when it comes back on tv. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/25/20 10:25 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Wish that was an option here at work...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/25/20 10:29 p.m.

One of the C8's is in the garage chasing down a bad oil leak.  So the announcers make a huge deal about the vibrations in the new engine....

Which the Ferrari has had every single race, for many years now.  This isn't an unsolvable problem.  Perhaps GM should have bought a few more Ferraris during the research for the new racing engine.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/20 10:38 p.m.

Got some last minute tix from Orange 1 Racing and spent the day with the Lamborghini team. 

Got picked up in a new Lamborghini

Then got fed and spent some time at their suite

Great views:

Then walked all over the place and my phone died as I had forgotten to charge it last night. Last pic I took:

They offered a hotel room, but I drove back home. Great day!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/25/20 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Wow. That must've been a very cool experience. Are you going back for the finish?

bruceman
bruceman Reader
1/25/20 11:12 p.m.

Paul Tracey is a terrible commentator!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/25/20 11:49 p.m.

Who goes around feeling the sidewalls of tires so much that "premium touch finish" is a selling point?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/26/20 3:29 a.m.

Quickie post because it's almost 4:30 in the morning and I should head up to bed:

Wow, the weather. 

Lots of friendly faces.

Lots of foot traffic up in the Frontstrech.

Midnight tour guest panel included John Doonan, the new president of IMSA. 

My throat hurts but totally worth it. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/26/20 3:34 a.m.

Oh, yeah, our driver through the infield today. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/20 5:49 a.m.

Preparing for today's autocross here, had a great time at the Starting Line school yesterday. 

I don't regret making the choice, since seat time is my number one priority but I sure wish the timing of the two events didn't match up.

I'm not selling my tickets next year!

Have have fun, everyone!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/26/20 6:51 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

...and THIS year I am very appreciative of you selling your tickets and enabling me to go! smiley 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
1/26/20 7:33 a.m.

Happy to wake up and find Mazda running 2/3 on the lead lap and, most importantly, in an "unexploded" state.  

bruceman
bruceman Reader
1/26/20 7:47 a.m.

Fehan said a bracket broke on the 4 Corvette heat exchanger (oil cooler) causing the oil leak

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/26/20 8:04 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Awesome- must have been a great day!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/20 8:33 a.m.

Anyone else catch the GRM Challenge T-shirt (2008 edition) at the very beginning of the IMSA ad?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/26/20 8:56 a.m.

GTLM, great racing goin' on

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
1/26/20 9:51 a.m.

Less than 3 hours to go and the Mazdas are still running at speed.  I don't care about a podium, they haven't finished the 24 since 2012 so making it will be as good for me.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/26/20 11:06 a.m.
fasted58 said:

GTLM, great racing goin' on

Just as good in GTD.  To Lambos are nose to tail with 1:35 to go.

wae
wae UltraDork
1/26/20 11:17 a.m.

Taking a break from the hospital room to watch the not-on-fire Mazdas from the Mazda Owners' Deck:

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/26/20 12:57 p.m.

It was weird this year not having any Fords to root for.

Still a good race though. Overall distance record, woo!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
1/26/20 1:02 p.m.

24hours of mayhem, hats off to everyone that puts on the show

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
1/26/20 1:20 p.m.
hobiercr said:

Anyone else catch the GRM Challenge T-shirt (2008 edition) at the very beginning of the IMSA ad?

Yes I did!

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/26/20 2:32 p.m.

Did the BMW or 912 win

The 912 was ahead when NBC switch to skiing with 1 hr left

Thanks

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tBsRxdju4SdtZNwYhbDPSOzJInd1fFqMFDSYXlgNgphYqvwYW2irho6Br9oRPWg9