1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/12 12:15 p.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: Ps: Megatune? Make sure you are running the latest version of TS and check for updates often.

What is the advantage?

PS - The box in question is the one I bought from you years back.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
11/5/12 12:39 p.m.

For one thing, TunerStudio plays better with Windows 7's User Access Control; MegaTune was written before Windows implemented anything of the sort and was never updated to deal with that.

Knurled
11/5/12 4:48 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: For one thing, TunerStudio plays better with Windows 7's User Access Control; MegaTune was written before Windows implemented anything of the sort and was never updated to deal with that.

I have an XP laptop. It's too slow to work with TunerStudio's super-awesome-cool adjustable-aspect tuning map, and freezes frequently. MegaTune has no problems.

So, where's the incentive to use a product that doesn't work as well?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/5/12 5:19 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote: For one thing, TunerStudio plays better with Windows 7's User Access Control; MegaTune was written before Windows implemented anything of the sort and was never updated to deal with that.
I have an XP laptop. It's too slow to work with TunerStudio's super-awesome-cool adjustable-aspect tuning map, and freezes frequently. MegaTune has no problems. So, where's the incentive to use a product that doesn't work as well?

Dang, you are just a crabby, crabby guy aren't you? We're just trying to help you use better tools. If they don't work on your old and busted junk, great. No worries then. Obviously if TS doesn't work for you, then don't use it. No need to get snotty about it, the only info we had to go off of was that you couldn't get it to work on a friend's Win 7 system, apparently threw a tantrum and gave up. If you can't or don't want to find a slightly newer box or use an Android or Apple device, then move along.

"Homes don't want no help, homes don't get no help."

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
11/5/12 6:40 p.m.

Whats the specs on the laptop? I have had quite a few xp installs work great.

TS platform is moving forward instead of stalled; ve analyze live, trigger diagnostics, notes tabs, comms tools, better project management, restore points... long list of things!!

Knurled
11/5/12 7:09 p.m.

Ye I'm crabby, because I don't get it when I have something that works just fine and everyone gets all up in my business because I'm not using the latest even though I tried it and found it lacking.

I'll have to use TS when I do eventually go to MS3. There's a lot of power and drivability to be had with injection timing with sequential injection, but that's going to have to wait a bit.

(Minor dig: For a site that supposedly loves the concept of making do with what you got, there sure seems to be a lot of NEW NEW NEW Ending is better than mending! )

No clue on the laptop specs. It was only $120 and has a working backlight and a battery that holds a charge. Good enough for me.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/5/12 10:27 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Ye I'm crabby, because I don't get it when I have something that works just fine and everyone gets all up in my business because I'm not using the latest even though I tried it and found it lacking. I'll have to use TS when I do eventually go to MS3. There's a lot of power and drivability to be had with injection timing with sequential injection, but that's going to have to wait a bit. (Minor dig: For a site that supposedly loves the concept of making do with what you got, there sure seems to be a lot of NEW NEW NEW Ending is better than mending! ) No clue on the laptop specs. It was only $120 and has a working backlight and a battery that holds a charge. Good enough for me.

We also know when to put down the bone knives and bear skins and move to the Bronze Age ;)

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
11/6/12 7:39 a.m.
Knurled wrote: I have an XP laptop. It's too slow to work with TunerStudio's super-awesome-cool adjustable-aspect tuning map, and freezes frequently. MegaTune has no problems. So, where's the incentive to use a product that doesn't work as well?

You SHOULD be able to use MegaTune just fine as long as you remember to save the tunes and logs in a folder that isn't run by user access control, like My Documents.

On the issue of dropping MegaTune support - the guy who wrote MegaTune no longer has time to update it, and it needed some changes to be able to fully use some of MS3's features.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
11/6/12 11:58 a.m.
turboswede wrote:
Nashco wrote: Cool. I'm in for the iPhone/iPad version when it comes out! Bryce
There is a separate App available for the iOS environment. It can't use the Bluetooth adapter due to Apple's Bluetooth restrictions, so it uses a Wireless to serial adapter, which isn't as cheap as the one used for Shadow Dash. http://mobisquirt.org/

Thanks for the reminder...I had seen this when it was in development and forgot about it. Looks like neither of these do tuning, which is really what I'd like to see, but just having a display would be handy for troubleshooting in a pinch. I'm glad to see the development continuing for better displays, as I hate bringing my laptop along on road trips. Here's to hoping that mobisquirt gets to version 2.x with some tuning capabilities! I downloaded it onto my iphone to play with, but not going to pony up for the $100 wifi adapter just yet.

Bryce

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
6/17/14 4:40 p.m.

Thread revival! Im looking into running shadow dash, do i need a data plan for the gps speedometer to work? Can someone recommend me a cheap gps android tablet?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/14 5:14 p.m.

GPS is free and doesn't use data. You only need data to download the maps.

I bought a cheap tablet for $50, but I've not used it. Trickiest bit was finding one that had BlueTooth and GPS with a decent amount of usability.

f6sk
f6sk New Reader
6/17/14 10:11 p.m.

I like this guys setup http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1987-bmw-325e/75671/page3/

wclark
wclark Reader
6/18/14 6:16 a.m.
Catatafish wrote: Can someone recommend me a cheap gps android tablet?

There are a number of threads under the MSDroid and Other Tuning threads on the Megasquirt Forum that talk about various tablets that do and do not work well. I think the safe bet are the Nexus tablets. From my own experience I would steer clear of cheap Androids. I bought a no-name with all the features only to find out it has a display with poor brightness, inability to be "rooted" and it is either very slow or does a lot of things in the background causing long pauses in the "dashboard". I have had good luck using my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone as an aux dashboard while I continue to look for the right sub-$100 (used) 10-11" tablet.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/18/14 7:30 a.m.

My only thought is what looks bright in a dark garage will be washed out in direct sunlight. There's a reason most gauges are set back under a 'canopy' dash portion.

wclark
wclark Reader
6/18/14 8:01 a.m.
RossD wrote: My only thought is what looks bright in a dark garage will be washed out in direct sunlight. There's a reason most gauges are set back under a 'canopy' dash portion.

I think a lot of the reason the dedicated digital race dash displays are so expensive is related to brightness. True daylight readable tablets are rare and expensive. I have followed the predictions for this for a couple years now and the article writers are regularly saying this is just around the corner for the better mass market tablets. I think either the technology is still costly to produce or the perceived demand is so low that manufacturers believe economies of scale cant be realized.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YOWc49u0vOSw6CmUCM8LVQIz18yN3rIxenyov0DF51hwS7KRk1CQG0ZM7ceedjiW