1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/20 11:55 a.m.

I don't know if it will be done or not but I'm going to try and turn a glue bomb Cuda I inherited into a late model stock car

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/20 12:07 p.m.

Here is how mine is going:

it is going to take some late nights since I am teleworking also. 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/12/20 12:17 p.m.

No pics, but I just have to add seatbelts and the cockpit will be done. I had to use a little filler on the body, so I'll prime it tomorrow and paint it on Tuesday. I think the most time-consuming part is going to be getting the masks just right for the second color. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/12/20 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Heck yeah. That's the sort of scratchbuilding I like to see!

Mine is coming along but not as fast as I'd like. I decided to remove the paint from the interior and start again. It's windy today so who knows if we'll get the paint laid down or not. And then I'm waiting for some spray paint to arrive in the mail for the body, hopefully it will get here tomorrow.

The suspension is done, though. I would've liked to replace the crappy four-link with something aftermarket, but since that would be hard, I just put Konis on it. (Meaning, I painted the shocks orange.)

Claff
Claff Reader
4/12/20 1:47 p.m.

Kicking myself for not getting on this when it was announced. I have at least a dozen unbuilt kits in the other room, but I haven't built any in 20 years so I'd need to make a biggish purchase in paints and glue and start that all over again.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/12/20 3:22 p.m.

More progress photos of the Tiger. 

Heater valve and hoses added, cowl braces painted, and remote oil filter made and installed, hoses yet to come. Four pieces in the oil filter. Oil filler extension on left valve cover will be the last engine room detail added.

Underside detail completed. Slowbird should note the color of the shocks. Koni is popular on my model bench too. Ahh, maybe it needs a little more rust.....

I think I nailed the stance.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/12/20 3:27 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Stance looks good. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/12/20 3:47 p.m.

Look what you guys made me do.

I've had this kit hanging around my game room since I bought it a few years back. I don't know if it will be done in time for the "car show", but I'm building it anyway! First primer coat laid down, and it's already looking good. I haven't attempted to build a kit in at least 15 years, and I feel like I screw up the paint every time, so I'm hoping to get it done right this time.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/20 3:49 p.m.

Paint fixed, then polished (after this photo), then clear coated. It's not my best, but it'll be fine for now. Now I have to do a ton of schoolwork so progress will stall.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
4/12/20 4:04 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Love the color and wheels!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/12/20 4:11 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I was just thinking yesterday that I wish I had a good method for simulating rust on the mufflers. laugh

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/12/20 4:19 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I do exhaust system rust with flat orange and flat browns, sometimes as dry brush, and sometimes with a thin wash. Tiger was dry brush. The "more" in my post refers to the chassis, not the exhaust. Tigers rust like mad. I saw one in 1970 that was already missing most of the 'X' member. Five years oldcrying

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
4/12/20 5:23 p.m.

I found a bit of an issue. Damaged pillar. I guess 27 year old kits are bound to have a few problems. I should be able hide...... i mean fix it.

Also..... this kit has lots and lots of pieces and no instructions. I sure picked quite the kit for my first attempt.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/12/20 6:06 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Oof, yeah, that's a lotta rust.

I was thinking my exhaust was too shiny...so here's "baby's first weathering attempt":

I can't decide if I love or hate it.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/12/20 6:27 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

You are on track. Remember it rusts less near the front. With stainless headers I use a wash of gloss blue and/or gloss brown.

4/12/20 6:33 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Try this technique from the bottom for a realistic "driven" look:

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/12/20 8:41 p.m.

Alright, well, that escalated quickly. laugh

I got into something of a groove, dabbing both light and dark gray over various parts of the exhaust, then dry brushing light brown over it. Less in the front, and more towards the back. I'm not sure how realistic it is, but my mind finds it believable.

Then I noticed how shiny the chassis was in comparison. Gloss black? That's no good! So I wildly dry-brushed a dark gray (actually called "weathered black" so it seems apropo) all over the gas tank and other parts of the chassis to varying degrees. Crap, now my nice shiny engine looks too shiny! And my nice new Koni shocks are too orange!

I compromised by just putting a tiny bit of weathering on the shocks and engine, because "the shocks were installed recently" and "the owner keeps the motor clean"

It's hard to even capture the extent of it in a photograph, actually. cheeky

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/12/20 10:14 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

That is great!

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/12/20 10:48 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I've been thinking of doing something similar with the RS. I figure a little bit of rally grit will make all of my "mistakes" look like I planned them that way! devil

And besides, when's the last time a real race car didnt have a few war wounds.

4/12/20 10:48 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Looks great!

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/12/20 10:55 p.m.

Not the greatest light, but got the assembly wrapped up today. There are a few areas I'm not happy with, and I definitely learned a few things for the next go around, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. 

I spend the next few night doing decals and I'm going to try giving it some road grit.

I've also been putting together a small shopping list since most my old paints were pretty much spent and I stole SWMBO's tweezers, nail scissors and paint brushes!

Jeff Mosing
Jeff Mosing New Reader
4/12/20 11:06 p.m.

Primed, got the rear end lowered a bit, will paint in a couple days.  

4/12/20 11:19 p.m.

Okay, now I'm getting excited.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/13/20 11:45 a.m.

I think I’m out for this go around - been getting distracted with other projects around the house, so I’ve done nothing other than mock up parts.  If there’s a second one, I’ll try to actually build something.

Yelo
Yelo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/13/20 1:25 p.m.

More progress, chassis and interior is ready.  Body is at the detailing stage, window are mostly glued in.

I can honestly say it is my quickest build in a long time. Might have to slow down a bit tough, I just learn I might be back at work on Wednesday, witch means we have to figure out a solution to take care of our daughter will we work (wife never stop working...)

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XoAnzb8KfgRlWoQ27nr23ro00KC3NhT75kJijbiY3zAjCq2ns7QPjcyQA8KDbGB5