1 2 3
CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/14/22 8:12 a.m.

Why not stay period correct?

A supercharger setup or a rover v8 from the 50s or 60's seems way cooler than just dropping in a zetec or miata.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/14/22 8:27 a.m.
Carl Heideman said:
NOHOME said:
Carl Heideman said:

.... Big Healey's are slightly harder to restore for the same reasons. 

Ok, back to bench racing...

NOW you tell me!

I put that in there just for you...

Seriously though I have told that to many people who want to restore a big Healey.

I've seen enough of your work to know you have the skill and patience for the job. 

FYI, in case you ever wonder how your actions impact another person's life.... you and Eclectic are largely responsible for my tin work addiction. Do you recall when you used to offer classes/seminars on MGB restoration? I always wanted to attend, but distance and life were always in the way. So I settled for cribbing images and ideas from the build photos that you had on the website. That got me started.  

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/14/22 12:14 p.m.

Healeys are hard to restore because they were built by Jensen, who for some reason known only to themselves insisted on welding the interior sheet metal to the frames.  Of course they did the same thing on the Jensens they built and it doubles the time and cost of restoration as well as acting as rust traps - they used the same technique on their own cars, of which I have owned four.

Daylan C.
Daylan C. PowerDork
5/14/22 12:18 p.m.
nocones said:

This seems like the best barn.  I like this barn and wish to subscribe to it's newsletter.

Can confirm that this is a really good barn.

As far as what to do with the MG, depending on how much power you want, I vote 1.8 VVT Miata engine. Possibly with added boost.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/22 9:28 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Cleaner exhaust at exceptionally higher power levels. Seriously.

I would imaginarily swap in a Tesla power train if it wouldn't ruin everything about the drive, but it would. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/15/22 9:01 a.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

I would imaginarily swap in a Tesla power train if it wouldn't ruin everything about the drive, but it would. 

If originality isn't retained and just the appearance is desired,  Ford is selling a crate EV engine.  With 500? Horsepower  for a cost of only $5k.  add a smallish battery pack?!?!!! 
Now 500 hp with peak torque at 0 mph will give that little MG really impressive acceleration.  You're talking 427 cobra + 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/22 10:04 a.m.

K swap in a B for inspiration:

Oooo, in an A

What I'm saying is I like the idea of a high revving 4cyl, particularly with that small hood opening, but a vintage+ feel everywhere outside the engine bay.

link to Hemmings MGBGT K swap

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/22 10:11 a.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/15/22 10:13 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

I have seen 2 Jaguar V12's in MGA's 

they are only 24 inches high to either carbs or fuel injection.   I think you will find the MG engine 2 or 3 inches taller  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/15/22 10:16 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd 

The width  is 28 if you use the fuel injection  or carbs   

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/15/22 11:57 a.m.

I like that Honda S2000 engine swapped into an MGA - a lot!  In fact when I was restoring my Jamaican MGA I looked all over for that engine but there were none available (c. 2007), so I went with GM V6.

If anyone is interested in that car, see http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/power/pp511.htm which shows more detail - there are a lot more mods done to that car including 4 wheel discs and all independent suspension!

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/22 12:14 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Oof. That's wonderful.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/22 12:38 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

Not how I would go about it, but certainly something I can respect!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/15/22 1:17 p.m.

The engine width is 22 inches at the top 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NbEL7QJEBmz1dPKmk98qW9mObUEXZLtDXdkbdNR5EV2kBbnhryUGwr2ayValYXs3