1 2 3
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 4:44 p.m.

Coming back for another knock out, drag out fight, the Bruiser from Britian, the Triumph TR6. Packing a torquey Straight 6, Italian looks on a traditional Frame and one of the best noises in the industry.

Hailing from the Land of the Rising Sun, the 240Z is a sleeker alternative to the squared off Triumph. Also packing a lusty Straight Six and independant Suspension, it marked a new turn in how people looked at Japanese cars.

FIGHT!

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
3/6/12 4:50 p.m.

Wow, this is a close one. I'd really take either, but if I had to choose which of the two lovely ladies to take home with me tonight, I'd be getting real cozy with the 240Z.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 4:51 p.m.

Oh, no question or hesitation at all. It's Z all the way for me. Those looks, that interior, the suspension, and that six are just a great package.

(BTW - loving these fight threads, very fun!)

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/6/12 4:52 p.m.

Hmm... much tougher decision...

TR6 - by the slimmest of margins.

Catch me on a different day (just had my GT6 out on Sunday) and I might pick the Datsun.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
3/6/12 4:54 p.m.

And a hotlink because they're gorgeous cars. I'll take mine with a fiberglass airdam and Webers please. And I'll have my order to go. Thanks

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
3/6/12 4:55 p.m.

The 240Z might be on of the best looking cars ever made, especially from the rear quarter view.

Look at that. Lithe and muscular at the same time, the very definition of a fastback. Owning a TR6 for me would be cool, but owning a well-done small bumper Z with the headlight covers is a dream.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
3/6/12 5:10 p.m.

Duh....um 240Z. We bought one new when I was a kid, followed by a 280 and 280ZX, and then I raced an IT version. My best memories on track are in the 240, fabulous car all around.

JamesZcar
JamesZcar SuperDork
3/6/12 5:20 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: The 240Z might be on of the best looking cars ever made, especially from the rear quarter view.

I am not really sure which car is best. LOL.

Actually one of my favorite 240Z's is the white one (black interior) with the black factory rear panel. I had a hard time finding a picture.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/6/12 5:23 p.m.

TR6 by a mile. It looks better and sounds better. I know the 240Z is a better car but I would much rather own the TR6.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
3/6/12 5:24 p.m.

Oh, this is a tough one. I like both. I guess I'll have to go with the 240Z. I prefer the hardtop of a GT.

Oh yeah, I do believe that both have independent suspension.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
3/6/12 5:46 p.m.

240Z changed the landscape. I seriously believe that's what made cars like the Camaro fight for their very lives (and loose, really) against Japanese cars.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
3/6/12 5:49 p.m.

Oh man this is tough. I usually would pick a hard top but the Triumph is just so right.

If I have to choose I'll take the Z.

Cuda
Cuda New Reader
3/6/12 5:53 p.m.

240Z all day every day.

JamesZcar
JamesZcar SuperDork
3/6/12 6:02 p.m.

Can you really sell one of your kidney's? Maybe that is a thread to start....... (JCCS 2010)

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
3/6/12 6:24 p.m.

Very tough, and I've owned a 280Z and very briefly (like a test drive of a brand new '72 TR6) driven and ridden in TR6s.

The Triumph can do one thing the Z can never do...drive with it's roof off. And late at night on a summer's evening, there is nothing like it.

The Z can do one thing most TR6s seem unable to do without some preparation, and that is "eat up" hundreds of miles several days in a row.

Ideally, the best of these would be one of those convertible conversions that a now defunct company offered for Z cars. Then you would have a Z with a top that could be lowered.

Real world tie-breaker? If one and only one example had a NON overdrive transmission...pick the one WITH the overdrive.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/6/12 6:28 p.m.

The 240Z would be my choice, but I wouldn't be disappointed with having to take the TR6 one bit.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 6:30 p.m.

Yup, tough one, but I'm going with the Z. (Not that one ^ though.)

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
3/6/12 6:31 p.m.

Man, I miss my Z-cars....

Z-car by many miles, and I love the TR6.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z SuperDork
3/6/12 6:46 p.m.

Three cars fall into that "YIKES" group after the gold chain crowd customized them. Corvette, 240Z, and Porsch. When I tell people I like the old Z cars; I am sure they think sheepskin seats, whale tails, and wire wheels.

I rarely see pimped out TR6's. (I see some funky MGB's)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
3/6/12 7:34 p.m.

As much as I love the TR6, I am going with 240Z. You can't beat the looks.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
3/6/12 8:12 p.m.

Man, a tough one for sure. And as much as I loves my Britmobiles I'm gonna have to vote Z car. That's based on previously owning a '78 280Z.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/6/12 10:15 p.m.

Two for the TR6.

I would vote for a TR6 against damn near any car you put up for vote though

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/7/12 8:41 a.m.

In that fight, the only thing the TR6 has to offer is the ability to throw the top down. Which considering how hot a Z gets in the summer, counts for a lot.

In every other category, the Z wins. Maybe not always by a lot, but it still wins.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
3/7/12 8:43 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Two for the TR6. I would vote for a TR6 against damn near any car you put up for vote though

Only because you have a Yugo!

Actually, there are a few convertible 240's around. There was a company that converted them back in the '70's, and one recently came up for sale, in TN or Atlanta I think. It was still less than a TR6.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
3/7/12 8:44 a.m.

Toss up there

but they'd hafta be V8s

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4cO1p0xJPcud4ZjBNCijlt51t8KTT5qzYR9VHjHQsgsRXl40pZSNcW1W5NMWxqas