Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
6/17/24 12:04 p.m.

Who doesn't love a good what car thread?

A family friend is looking for a reliable second car for her family. It's her, her husband, and a toddler. Their main car is something fairly real--modern Subaru or something like that IIRC--so I get the impression this will be purely for her daily commute and the "real" car will be used on weekends and long trips. 

I don't think they're interested in cars at all. Not even a little bit. It's like a fridge or a microwave.

Besides fitting a car seat, it also needs to fit a dude that's probably 6' 5" tall and built like a linebacker. 

Budget is $2000, and the location is Tampa, FL. Yeah, I know, that's low for a decent car these days.

I said "just buy the nicest $2000 sedan you can find and don't worry about the badge" but these threads are always fun. Any suggestions?

DasAuto
DasAuto GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/24 12:07 p.m.

As always, Mazda5. Fits the toddler way better and linebacker dad won't be crushed up front.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/24 12:32 p.m.

Avalon, the bigger Camry? They need to watch the listings at Sun City and Sarasota. 

DancesWithCurves
DancesWithCurves New Reader
6/17/24 12:45 p.m.

I'm with Doc; for a commuting appliance, focus on something soft and beige. I was going to suggest something Floridian in the GM3800 family: LeSabre, Park Ave, Riviera, Ninety Eight, etc.

In that price range, it's going to be hard to score something nice from a FS ad. Maybe haunt some senior living communities and stick some WTB notes on various prospects.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/24 12:57 p.m.

In reply to DancesWithCurves :

The GM recommendations are also very good advice. 

As for the retirement communities, that part of Florida could be considered "God's waiting room."

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/17/24 2:00 p.m.

Sound advice so far!  

Also, in this price range, body damage can be your friend resulting in price discounts from private sellers.  Find the Avalon that Grandpa scraped against the garage door frame.  Or, something with failed clearcoat.  

Function over fashion.

Additionally, try to focus on genuine private sellers and how to spot the differences in the ads.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
6/17/24 2:03 p.m.

Find something without AC that is easy to work on?

Almost gonna be a requirement with that price range anyways.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/24 2:11 p.m.
DasAuto said:

As always, Mazda5. Fits the toddler way better and linebacker dad won't be crushed up front.

I hate riding in our mazda 5 because my knees are touching the dashboard.  I'm 6' 0".  Somebody 6' 5" I don't think could sit on the passenger side.

Drive?  Sure!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/17/24 2:20 p.m.

Also, prime the buyer to understand that $2k cars need $1k additional repair very shortly after purchase.  If the buyer sees this as $2k +$1k they will then have a much better car than buying a $3k car (which will still need $1k additional repairs soon after purchase.)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/17/24 3:54 p.m.

Cash on hand!

Have the $2k, in cash, in your sock drawer.  When the right car comes up on Facebook there isn't time to go to the bank or figure how to get the money.  Someone else will have that $2k in their own sock drawer and they will get money to the seller before you can.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
6/17/24 4:07 p.m.

I'm going to say Avalon. Most front and rear seat room plus the front seat shape is friendly for large humans.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/17/24 5:00 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I said "just buy the nicest $2000 sedan you can find and don't worry about the badge" but these threads are always fun. Any suggestions?

But I would add...NO NISSAN CARS OR SUVS

Nissan has saddled their car/suv line up of the past nearly 20 years with their notoriously unreliable CVT transmission.  You will likely find a Nissan car/suv in their price range and it either has a bad trans or is about to!      

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
6/17/24 5:28 p.m.

Ooof, $2k for a car in this day and age is tough. 10 years ago maybe, but now, yikes.

I would just look for whatever you can find that has some body damage or high miles but has some indication it has been cared for. Except Nissan, I agree with John. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/17/24 5:43 p.m.

No one's suggested panther options? 

I'd expect Grand Marquis to be an option as long as the commute isn't too long. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
6/17/24 6:31 p.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/17/24 7:21 p.m.

Okay, I wouldn't be me if I didn't at least look to see if there is a Gen2 Prius in the Tampa market that fits their need.  

This one looks too good so I wonder if scam, but....  '09 w/145k @$2.9k  The ad says:

2900 only issue is the meter needs to be replaced will work with on price and have a guy whom will fix it for 400.

Decoding the ad, this is what I think it says:

• Needs Combination Meter.  This is a common problem on these cars where a capacitor dies on the LCD panel that contains the combination of speedo, ODO and fuel gauge hence the official Toyota name for the LCD is the combination meter.  The fix is a dashboard teardown and re-solder in a new capacitor.
  • The job takes about 4 hours.  Seller mentions that he has a guy who will do the job for $400 (which is a reasonable price.)
  • Seller says, "will work on price"  I take that to mean he is asking $2,900 but is willing to take another $400 off for the needed repair.  This then is a $2,500 purchase.  
  • I eluded that $2k cars need $1k shortly after purchase.  This one needs $400 right away.  

Can you stretch the buyer to $2,900?  Will the seller reduce the price even further?  

Being an '09 Prius this makes it the last year for the desirable Gen2 therefore, the newest Gen2 you can buy.  The car has 145k miles.  That is crazy low in Prius terms.  This car will easy and cheaply go another 100k miles almost effortlessly.  

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/24 7:51 p.m.

I came across a perfect Ford Fusion a couple weeks ago, grandma stopped driving story.  I just went to look and it's sold.  It was $5800, 60k miles, I just couldn't figure out a need or a way to justify another car.  I hope your friends are realistic about what $2k will buy these days.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/17/24 7:51 p.m.

The newest Korean mid size you can find. 

The 5Th gen Elantra (2010-2013) is one of the best appliances ever built, and the interior is one of the roomiest ever in a mid size. Massive headroom. Both my boys are 6'4" and can't reach the pedals if the seat is all the way back. I've ridden a 400lb man as a passenger in both the front and the back with no problem. They are also well equipped with safety gear, and super intuitive for linking to cell devices, etc.  Over 40 mpg.

The 5th gen is above your price range, but you may spot one with high mileage and a few dents.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/17/24 7:56 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
6/17/24 8:02 p.m.
SV reX said:

The newest Korean mid size you can find. 

The 5Th gen Elantra (2010-2013) is one of the best appliances ever built, and the interior is one of the roomiest ever in a mid size. Massive headroom. Both my boys are 6'4" and can't reach the pedals if the seat is all the way back. I've ridden a 400lb man as a passenger in both the front and the back with no problem. They are also well equipped with safety gear, and super intuitive for linking to cell devices, etc.  Over 40 mpg.

The 5th gen is above your price range, but you may spot one with high mileage and a few dents.

I have to +1 this.  I had a 2013 6spd coupe and for the money it was terrific.  As said, insane amount of room and dead nuts reliable.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AoA5wGrGKj7jq2cGbMvGcUR161hPhACiRqnCkgXSRpRcQPxgjOdoIOvx7rxZlihe