1 2 3
whenry
whenry New Reader
5/29/14 1:56 p.m.

1) cat 2) squirrel in AC system of 2500 'Burb

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/29/14 2:04 p.m.

I once opened the hood on a truck and discovered a mod-motor. I shut it and walked away hoping no one saw me looking.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
5/29/14 2:09 p.m.

A Chrysler 2.7L V6.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/29/14 2:24 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: A Chrysler 2.7L V6.

I recant my previous statement and concur.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/14 2:26 p.m.

Iron Duke

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
5/29/14 2:28 p.m.

I had a very attractive young lady flag me down in traffic once. I figured she wanted my number, or perhaps just to give me hers. Turns out there was a very large and very confused rat snake hanging the front foot and a half of himself down from the rear bumper. I pulled over. I looked at him and him at me and he retreated to the cavities on the underside of my truck where I assume he stayed for the rest of the way home. He hung around under the truck climbing up and down for a couple of days. Rat snakes are harmless, but my wife was not amused.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
5/29/14 2:46 p.m.

The damage to this Ferrari Columbo V12 was caused by a mouse nest in the cylinder

photo IMG_1673_zpsb096152b.jpg

The whole bay was a nasty mess. Part critter and part owner who decided that a thorough dousing in WD40 every month would keep any damage at bay. There was a 20 year buildup of it

The glovebox had a nest too

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/29/14 2:47 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:

I found one of these in my brothers car once. He took it out when it broke and strangely, put another one in.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/29/14 3:01 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
I found one of these in my brothers car once. He took it out when it broke and strangely, put another one in.

I've heard of this strange phenomena. I wonder if it's a some sort of brainwashing? Weird mind control or something?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/29/14 3:03 p.m.

I don't know- but he keeps buying terrible Chryslers after I tell him not to. I think it's something they put in them, like the salt on McDonalds fries.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/14 4:38 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: Not mine, but I have found dead snakes (one wrapped around driveshaft), dead mice, and one live mouse while working on customer's cars. Pretty sure I E36 M3 my pants and screamed like a little girl when he jumped out at me.

We got a Camry towed in from ~30mi away as a no-start. Co-worker opens hood, pokes around, OH E36 M3 !!!! and jumps faster than I've ever seen him move in his life.

Groundhog. It found some of the wiring tasty, and started chattering nervously when my co-worker's head as a foot away from it. We pushed the car outside and hosed the critter down until he decided to leave.

On that tip, the very next day there was a Suburban from the dental office next door, no click no crank. Mentally feels like a failed neutral safety switch. Co-worker crawls under car in parking lot, OH E36 M3 !!! and rolls out from under the car even faster than yesterday.

It was the same damn groundhog, and he was SIX inches away from it when it started chittering at him. It really loved eating wiring.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/14 4:46 p.m.

Skunk + Fan + 1978 GMC dump truck.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
5/29/14 4:54 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Cone_Junkie wrote: Not mine, but I have found dead snakes (one wrapped around driveshaft), dead mice, and one live mouse while working on customer's cars. Pretty sure I E36 M3 my pants and screamed like a little girl when he jumped out at me.
We got a Camry towed in from ~30mi away as a no-start. Co-worker opens hood, pokes around, OH E36 M3 !!!! and jumps faster than I've ever seen him move in his life. Groundhog. It found some of the wiring tasty, and started chattering nervously when my co-worker's head as a foot away from it. We pushed the car outside and hosed the critter down until he decided to leave. On that tip, the very next day there was a Suburban from the dental office next door, no click no crank. Mentally feels like a failed neutral safety switch. Co-worker crawls under car in parking lot, OH E36 M3 !!! and rolls out from under the car even faster than yesterday. It was the same damn groundhog, and he was SIX inches away from it when it started chittering at him. It really loved eating wiring.

I would have been in the best interest of the public for you to put that groundhog in a stew

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/14 8:19 p.m.

A more cynical person would say he should have been on the payroll Although I've never ate groundhog. I've had farmed deer and "natural" deer and there's a definite taste difference between the two, apparently from the diet. I don't know what wiring fed groundhog would taste like, but it's probably not good.

Incidentally, when it chewed through the wiring on the Camry it managed to kill one of the injector drivers. So new PCM time. That was one freakin' expensive groundhog.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
5/29/14 8:35 p.m.

A few years back I took a cross-country (L.A. to Boston) trip in my sister's ZX2. Somewhere in the Midwest I drove through a huge swarm of locusts. There were tons of the dead bugs in and on the car. Even a year after the trip, the mechanics my sister brought the car to were still finding locust parts.

When I first started driving, I hit a wild turkey which got stuck in my S13's grille face-first. It looked like my car was nomming on it!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
5/29/14 8:38 p.m.

One of those once tried to kill my father.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
5/29/14 10:59 p.m.

After I hit a deer with my 90 grand am, there was deer guts all over the engine bay, hood, grill...... I washed it off with the hose but it still stunk a while

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
5/29/14 11:15 p.m.

When I was about 5 My dad picked me up from school and we were driving on the 101 freeway from Camarillo to Oxnard and a coyote ran onto the freeway then turned and ran straight into the grill of my dads 76 Jimmy. Damn thing ran its snout right through the radiator and got stuck bad enough that my dad had to physically pull it out of the radiator. Worst part about the whole situation was that my dad had just installed that radiator on saturday a couple of days before it happened.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
5/29/14 11:51 p.m.

Customer ran over a skunk earlier in the day before I got the privilege of working on that.

Pack rat nests in various stages of completion aren't uncommon.

Had an rv on the schedule, customer just bought it and it hadn't run in a few years and had a couple broken side windows. Opened the side door took two steps into the thing, solid layer of rat E36 M3 on the floor. Jumped out the door and refused to work on it. Never saw that one on the schedule again.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
5/30/14 4:36 a.m.

whats the nastiest thing ive found in an engine bay? a carburetor...

-J0N

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
5/30/14 5:44 a.m.

This isn't in the engine bay, but they had me switch out work vans once. The one they gave me belonged to someone who used snuff, and liked to keep a spit cup in the cup holder, and apparently like to attempt to spit into the cup while it was still in the cup holder, and missed. A lot. The entire radio/climate control area was covered in brown goo.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
5/30/14 6:12 a.m.

More amusing than gross, but once I drove my F150 through many miles of Maryland countryside during lighting bug season. When I have got to my destination the front edge of the hood was glowing from smushed lighting bugs.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/30/14 7:40 a.m.

Bein in the biz I've seen a lot of critters in cars but the one that sticks in my mind the most was the squirrel in the engine compartment of a Mazda 626. Lady brought it in for routine maintenance and when the hood was popped it was found wedged in the engine mount on the timing belt end. It had been there long enough to be dessicated and stuck solidly to the mount bracket and timing cover; I can still hear the 'rrrripppp' sound it made when the shop foreman pulled it apart with pliers to get it out.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
5/30/14 7:57 a.m.

Went to install the battery in my '81 Chevy PU project one spring and was greeted w/ this:

Cute little critters ain't they...

Waited a coupla few weeks till they left the nest... I ain't no home wrecker.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/30/14 8:01 a.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

That's just disgusting.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gmageaJkHOFnZdpY8OfTXtDdGUjQ83FQKSNozD1HmMB3kHmaWeDVeNapeeYFhCGh