chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
7/6/23 3:26 p.m.

I have both good back roads and some hilly freeways around me. I used to ride more than I drove, but have only had brief test rides and borrowed bikes for a few years. 

The second-generation Hayabusa really impressed me when I rode a 2014 bike. Comfortable seat and VFR-ish riding position, low vibration engine, nice and quiet, and cranking open the throttle in 6th on the freeway made me wonder if it was really an automatic that had kicked down to 3rd. 

Are there any bad points to this bike? Anything apart from unfortunate aftermarket mods to look out for? 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/6/23 3:30 p.m.

They're probably still up near the top in terms of cost to insure. Aside from that I don't think I've heard of common issues or weaknesses.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
7/13/23 3:02 p.m.

They made them for quite a few years with little changes, and they are reliable as long as taken care of.  Good self control would be ideal as well.

I have looked at them, but the used ones can be sketchy due to mods and or owner neglect. New is a bit costly but at least you know what you have. Now that I am older and (somewhat) wiser, I would possibly owning one.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/23 3:07 p.m.

Its sooo big and heavy tho. 

Insurance is probably dependent on location, but even my 2021 S1000RR is quite cheap to insure once you get to my age. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/13/23 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Not wise cracking on your age (because I don't know either you or your age), but considering how much one hears about older returning riders having big wrecks due not taking any training (because I got this from when I was 20) and and potentially slower reactions due to not riding in a while one might expect over 40 riders to see a jump in insurance premiums.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/13/23 8:19 p.m.

The mental image of a long skid-mark and a bent-over "yield" sign are my deterrent.

myf16n
myf16n GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/14/23 3:04 a.m.

Uh, 'cuz they're ugly? The actual pronunciation of Hayabusa is 'Eye-abuser'.

Get what you want, but understand what you're getting into.

Disclosure: I've been a motorcycle safety instructor / coach for over 30 years.

Get additional training. Re-entry riders are at damn near the same risk of crshing as brand new riders. Do your best to use superior judgment to avoid situations that require superior skill. That being said, go get additional training to build the skills you will need. We are our greatest risk, NOT the other drivers.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/23 11:30 a.m.

Around here, these and GSXers get stolen faster than a wallet dropped on the ground in front of a crack house.

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
7/18/23 11:38 a.m.

In reply to myf16n :

Yes. A casual trackday at Apex or Adams would be the first ride, partly to get me familiar with it and partly to make those first hundred miles in a safe environment with some really, really tight corners. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/23 11:42 a.m.

I rode a Bking which is a similar bike to the Hayabusa but has a truly upright riding position.   I thought it was great.  Probably worth a look unless you absolutely want the Hayabusa.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/18/23 11:54 a.m.

The ergo's look less VFR and more CBR to me with the 'busa.  

Never been a bike that interested me.  I'm not really sure what they're good at beyond impressive numbers.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/18/23 11:55 a.m.

I mean other than looks and a lacking sense of self preservation I see no reason not to. Everyone should have a death wish at some point in their life. I had mine with the fz09. Only bike that I felt was actively trying to kill me and seemed disappointed when I arrived unscathed 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/23 11:58 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I now imagine the bike ticking as it cools off at its destination sighing..  "Oh . .  You lived..  drat"

I had a Kawasaki ZRX1200R.  It was fast and fun and scary all at once.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/18/23 12:10 p.m.
nocones said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I now imagine the bike ticking as it cools off at its destination sighing..  "Oh . .  You lived..  drat"

I had a Kawasaki ZRX1200R.  It was fast and fun and scary all at once.  

That was it exactly. Mine was the second year where they tried to "fix" the throttle touchiness. I swear it made it worse. First bike I ever owned that would spin the rear tire laying black marks while pulling a wheelie.... by accident. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EsaCZ2xWa7pQ0hKYjODMGdq4q3o0Jly6N40Y7DQBhh3uiw7I1Jvf6eBjfC9joyqC