1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45
fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
11/11/23 7:10 p.m.

In reply to dbgrubbs :

Love those smokers, did you import yourself?

I got some new tins for my bike, did a bunch of other stuff while I was in there, tank lift and wire tuck, coil and key relocation, new bars and levers, seat, tail light etc.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/20/23 7:08 p.m.

The "police car" for sale in the other thread made me think of this but I didn't want to spam up the other thread.   So my Road King was a Lee County sherrifs department bike in its former life.  Florida is super tough on everything being stripped when they are sold.  This is what's left of my bike that shows it was a cop bike besides the obvious top knob opening saddlebags and solo seat.   

As you can see,  if I rode past you there is no thinking is still a police bike.  No sirens or lights...just buttons.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/21/23 8:54 a.m.

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
11/21/23 9:20 a.m.
dbgrubbs said:

We need more info!  I have a post about my Aprilia RS250.  Still having a blast with it.  Put a Penske shock on it, stiffer front springs, and a little heavier oil.  A friend recently gave me a few pieces of track bodywork and, coincidentally, the group I ride with @ NJMP announced a small bike day for Advanced/Expert riders next year.  Full open track all day.

I have a Zeeltronic on the floor next to me requiring installation so I can adjust the powervalve and igntion curves.  Cool bit of kit.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
11/21/23 12:26 p.m.

Not my bikes, but I wish they were...

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/21/23 1:01 p.m.

Old police bikes can be great deals too, especially given the knowledge and parts bases available. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/21/23 3:52 p.m.

Yeah, I've had a few restless nights over CHP BMWs myself.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/23 2:36 p.m.

My girlfriend was riding our 2020 CRF250L in mid September when a car pulled out in front of her. She's alright, still non weight bearing on her left leg but should fully recover.

I'm debating my options with the insurance company. They are offering me CAD$6080+taxes for the bike. A new non-ABS CRF300L is CAD$7590+taxes.

The other option is to keep the bike and receive a CAD$4560 payment ($1520 salvage value).

Picture of damage:

Frame is bent, wheel is bent, one fork body is dented but I'd probably replace both. Headlight assembly, radiator and fan. Frames are surprisingly cheap from the dealer ($600) it's the forks that are a big ticket item. Plus lots of nickle and dime things. What does GRM say, try and fix it to save a bit of cash or let it go?

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/17/23 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

I mean, my wife personally went after a 250l vs a 300l if that helps any. It's all dependent on how big of a project you are after. 

If you decide to fix it, I do have quite a few crf250L parts off the wife's 17. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
1/8/24 6:36 p.m.

Picked up a second bike last Friday after a month of researching it... from limited short ride I've done so far on it I do really like it and think it will live up to its reputation.

KOVE 450 Rally (standard high seat edition)

Ordered things I wanted for it this weekend ( Cyra Pro-Bend Ultra handguard setup, ODI grips, GPR V5 hydraulic steering stabilizer kit, Motion Pro micro front shock air bleeders, rear caliper guard, and factory rear luggage rack mount). Down the line might upgrade the mirrors to Rottweiler/Arrow setup and get one of the rally towers available for it and the Trail Tech Voyager PRO GPS nav system.

Will be removing all the decals (that's why I didn't care which decal color I got, which was good since this was the only one in stock), looks waaaay better in plain white:

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
1/9/24 8:38 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

That Kove is really interesting...  are they federalized and street legal yet?

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/9/24 11:09 a.m.

@Rodan

They are not. One of my friends just became a 'dealer' for Kove. He talks about it a bit in this video.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
1/9/24 11:21 a.m.

I don't know why the 'big' manufacturers refuse to make a bike like that... really hits the sweet spot between the 500lb 'ADV' 700s and the lighter but underpowered 300 dual sports we seem to be stuck with.  It's still probably a little hard core for me, but when street legal, it might fit my desires better than what's currently out there...

The town we just moved from has a dealer, but it's now a 300 mile drive...

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/24 12:07 p.m.

Huh. The Kove 800 looks interesting, though I'd be hard-pressed to spend 15k on a Chinese bike! 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
1/9/24 3:42 p.m.

The 450 Rally's are supposed to be street legal this year from what I understand, are going through the legal processes currently. If wanted I could have mine street legal as is no problem in AZ though... actually told the dealer not to worry about going through the process since I plan on keeping it offroad only.

The new Kove 450 Rally EX is a bit more interesting (~40lbs less with 15hp more using a totally inhouse designed motor) but so far in the Dakar has been seeing lots of issues while the originals are running fine but slower. They plan to bring over a few of the EX's later this year but they are a really a race only bike that will costs twice as much. 280lbs dry and 65hp is not to shabby though if they can get it reliable.

Two videos that gave me good insight when researching the Kove 450 Rally:

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
1/9/24 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

Didn't realize you're in AZ... did you get it from Powersports Outlet in Prescott?

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
1/9/24 7:40 p.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to Vracer111 :

Didn't realize you're in AZ... did you get it from Powersports Outlet in Prescott?

Yes, Powersports Outlet is where I got it from. Am just south of the Utah border, so was a 625ish mile round trip for me to get it.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/24 10:21 a.m.

You know when you're just perusing craigslist in the middle of the night and then decide to drive 8 hours for something dumb?

Needs some things. I drove too far to not get it. Looks like a bombcan build. (Just hose everything down with paint)

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
1/10/24 10:27 a.m.

I love the looks of those Cafe'd out CBs, but I also remember what they were like to ride compared to modern bikes.  Still very cool!

Thanks to Vracer, I've been spending waaay too much time down the YT rabbit hole of rally/adv stuff. 

I'm going to buy a bike in the next couple of months, just don't know what yet.  It will probably be a total impulse buy like iansane's...  cheeky

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/10/24 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I've been thrilled with my Husky 701 (KTM 690) for filling this niche. With an aftermarket fairing, luggage rack, heated grips, GPS, and a full tank of gas, mine is still just under 350 pounds! Not exactly the cheapest option, but a really stellar bike. It might also be worth looking at the Honda CRF450L dual sport if KTM isn't big enough for you, or isn't well supported in your area.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
1/10/24 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Just FYI, the Kove 450 Rally 50-state legal now has page on website... to be released this summer and $300 more than non 50-state legal model.

https://www.kovemotousa.com/450-rally-street-legal-2024

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/24 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to hit the easy button and just let them have it. Motorcycles are the one thing I have that's not a project, that seems to be working for me so far.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

If insurance around here wasn't stupid, a Husky 701 seems like a killer  deal. 74hp in a 350hp package seems like a pretty stellar recipe.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
1/18/24 12:40 a.m.

Didn't fully remove all the decals, but looks quite a bit better now... think might leave it as is:

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
1/18/24 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

Looks great!

After doing more research, I think the Kove is more hardcore than what I'm looking for, but I'm still looking forward to hearing more as you get some miles on it.  I'll be in Prescott this weekend, so I might just have to stop by Powersports to see if they have one on the floor...

1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MrYR6qXUzqo5E3huyHYchJITGsjvQEhbvXD8F9ORuPtHTEfswGsk1QipBGhuXR65