1 2 3 4
AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
5/11/23 9:51 a.m.

I just read this article on the Autopian about the KF 100/4 Coffee Filter, manufactured by Mann + Hummel, and I love it. I was originally going to ask if there were any other non-automotive products you like that have been made by auto companies, but honestly it's always fun when a company makes a product you wouldn't expect, no matter what industry it's in. I already know about the Peugeot pepper grinder, but what are some other examples of unexpected product cross-pollination?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/23 10:15 a.m.

Honda and Yamaha just asked for their beer to be held.

Volkswagen manufactures more sausages than anything else in their factories.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/11/23 10:23 a.m.

How about an Alpina typewriter?

And I can't forget the Mitsubishi A/C unit (though I'm not sure it counts because it's from a subsidiary):

j_tso
j_tso Dork
5/11/23 10:41 a.m.

Williams Advanced Engineering lent their expertise to design aerofoil refrigerated shelf edges to help keep the cold air inside and save energy.

Formula One Spreads Its Wings To The Supermarket

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/11/23 11:03 a.m.

Saginaw & GM made M1 Carbines.  Lots of auto manufacturers made lots of arms, etc. during WWII

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/11/23 12:06 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

Saginaw & GM made M1 Carbines.  Lots of auto manufacturers made lots of arms, etc. during WWII

Yeah, WWII resulted in a lot of weirdness. Electrolux, the vacuum cleaner company, was building automatic rifles based off the Lee-Enfield design

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/11/23 12:30 p.m.

My dad bought an avacado green refrigerator in 1970 that finally died in 2010.  Oddly GM made a decent fridge.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/11/23 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Did the cab corners rust out in 1971? 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/11/23 12:53 p.m.

Pininfarina Coke machine:

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/23 1:17 p.m.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/11/23 2:27 p.m.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/11/23 2:28 p.m.
NickD said:Electrolux, the vacuum cleaner company, was building automatic rifles based off the Lee-Enfield design

They also didn't want to be in the motorcycle business anymore and that's how Husqvarnas ended up being manufactured in Italy by Cagiva.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
5/11/23 2:39 p.m.

I think cars count for Hyundai. They make everything from microchips to container ships.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
5/11/23 6:16 p.m.

Daewoo K2 (wikipedia)

What I knew them for before they started importing cars.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/11/23 6:43 p.m.

Samsung has cars too.

Tesla, I mean, so much oddness from them, from Qi chargers to "flamethrowers" to tequila.

VW just recently stopped making sausage.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
5/11/23 6:50 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/23 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

The "flamethrowers" were The Boring Company, and I think the tequila and other "lifestyle" products are just branding. But Tesla does a lot of battery-related stuff, not just residential Powerwalls but also utility scale storage. It's not radically different than the cars in that they obviously overlap, but a lot of people probably don't realize it.

I have a couple of Yamaha musical instruments, and even they don't have anything in common - one's a DX7 synth, the other is a tenor saxophone.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/23 7:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I have a couple of Yamaha musical instruments, and even they don't have anything in common - one's a DX7 synth, the other is a tenor saxophone.

My mother used to have a Yamaha piano -- we would joke about her upgrading it to a Suzuki. :)

I have a Black-and-Decker kitchen hand mixer.  On the surface it's an odd branding, but the guts of a mixer and a drill aren't really that different.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
5/11/23 7:33 p.m.

I used to run several different Ryobi printing presses.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
5/11/23 7:44 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My dad bought an avacado green refrigerator in 1970 that finally died in 2010.  Oddly GM made a decent fridge.  

International Harvester used to make one helluva freezer.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/23 8:07 p.m.

Not automotive, but the Kaman aircraft company used to also make Ovation guitars.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/11/23 8:25 p.m.

mitsubishi

Folgers
Folgers Reader
5/11/23 8:40 p.m.

Textron, makes all kinds of stuff. Plastic tanks for Chevy, bell helicopters,snowmobiles, golf cars, and a bunch of stuff in between. 

From my experience, they are not very good at anything, but they try to do everything. 

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
5/11/23 8:43 p.m.

Bosch.  They have their hands in just about everything. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
5/11/23 8:44 p.m.

I owned one of these back in the day.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gptg7yzvJiOLFxyhQcenc53LAoKLykatItt9OHZkv7WF2TEsnMR3na4UJc1AgqUN