1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 ... 413
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/12/22 2:55 p.m.
bobzilla said:

By that point the soviets were manufacturing a crap ton of equipment and really didn't need our Lend/Lease junk. 

Uhm.... what?

• 400,000 jeeps & trucks
  • 14,000 airplanes
  • 8,000 tractors
  • 13,000 tanks
  • 1.5 million blankets
  • 15 million pairs of army boots
  • 107,000 tons of cotton
  • 2.7 million tons of petrol products
  • 4.5 million tons of food

They were pumping a lot of their own stuff by then, but "crap"?   I think not sir!  cheeky

BTW - if you mention the P39, I will find you, slap you in the back of the head, then give you a good "talkin to"  surprise

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
9/12/22 3:11 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Clarify a couple of things for me. First, you say "total and complete loss of Russia" - can you define exactly what level of defeat you're suggesting? Is this a military defeat confined to Ukraine? Or does it go beyond that? Is there a domestic political dimension? Does it include strategic forces not involved in Ukraine? Is it defined by treaty, or simply by battlefield conditions and territorial possession? As long as it maintains a nuclear arsenal, it remains an important player; with its energy and resources, and strategic position between Europe and the Far East, it has to remain a factor. Put simply, was does a defeated Russia look like, and what role does it play in the international system?

Second, you state that "the more chaos internally the weaker they'll become". That may be true in the short term, but doesn't it seem problematic given the history of nations in weakened post-war conditions? Arguably, Russia is where it is today because of the weakness and chaos of the years following the Soviet collapse, amplified by NATO expansion. Hitler rose in Germany after the punitive Treaty of Versailles and the weak, chaotic Weimar years. The Bolsheviks took power in the chaos of WWI and weakness of the Kerensky government following the fall of the czar. I cannot think of a single example where this sort of situation ended with long-term stability.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/12/22 3:43 p.m.

Thing is, Putin seems disinclined to take any off-ramps anyway, so at this point, the goal should likely be to help get Ukraine their territory back, and only care about what happens inside Russia to the extent that it prevents that from happening.  They seem culturally inclined towards totalitarianism, and if there's nothing we can do to change that, then containing them is pretty much the only thing we can do.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/12/22 3:49 p.m.
02Pilot said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Clarify a couple of things for me. First, you say "total and complete loss of Russia" - can you define exactly what level of defeat you're suggesting? Is this a military defeat confined to Ukraine? Or does it go beyond that? Is there a domestic political dimension? Does it include strategic forces not involved in Ukraine? Is it defined by treaty, or simply by battlefield conditions and territorial possession? As long as it maintains a nuclear arsenal, it remains an important player; with its energy and resources, and strategic position between Europe and the Far East, it has to remain a factor. Put simply, was does a defeated Russia look like, and what role does it play in the international system?

Second, you state that "the more chaos internally the weaker they'll become". That may be true in the short term, but doesn't it seem problematic given the history of nations in weakened post-war conditions? Arguably, Russia is where it is today because of the weakness and chaos of the years following the Soviet collapse, amplified by NATO expansion. Hitler rose in Germany after the punitive Treaty of Versailles and the weak, chaotic Weimar years. The Bolsheviks took power in the chaos of WWI and weakness of the Kerensky government following the fall of the czar. I cannot think of a single example where this sort of situation ended with long-term stability.

The blaming of WWII on the treaty is a Nazi lie.

Blaming, at least in part, NATO expansion for Russian aggression is a ridiculous idea. If not for NATO, Russia would only be -more- aggressive.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/22 4:02 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/22 4:11 p.m.
02Pilot said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Iraq comes to mind...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
9/12/22 4:28 p.m.
02Pilot said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Clarify a couple of things for me. First, you say "total and complete loss of Russia" - can you define exactly what level of defeat you're suggesting? Is this a military defeat confined to Ukraine? Or does it go beyond that? [...] Put simply, was does a defeated Russia look like, and what role does it play in the international system?

To me, it's Putin looses in not only all his short AND long term goals, but in fact is in a far worse position afterwards. This means that instead of making NATO look weak or spineless they took a stance (Done), strengthened NATO (Done), pushed more eastern European nations towards "The West" politically than before (DONE), lost the war in a military defeat (Arguably done if the current retreat maintains and losses are correct), and finally loses of at least one of the slave republics (which Ukraine is probing into Dontesk, referendums have stopped, and now Russia is amassing in Crimea).

We're almost there to my limited, civilian sensibilities. Most recent count is ~50,000 Russians dead and more than ~100,000 casualties before the rout, and it seems like surrender is becoming more commonplace. Russia physically doesn't have the men, nor the material anymore to take Ukraine; captured soldiers report their training has been from days to a week, tanks are visibly taken from outside open storage and pressed into service... at this point Russia can only saber-rattle and I imagine the world is tiring of it, now that they've seen what it actually looks like.

Also to support that:

Vladimir Putin's press secretary Dmitry Peskov made a number of statements about the course of the war ➤ The “special military operation” continues and will continue until the goals that were originally set are achieved. ➤ Everything that happens, any actions that the military do during the “special operation”, are reported to the Supreme Commander. The President is in constant contact with the Minister of Defense and with all the military leaders (on the question of whether Putin knows about the retreat of the Russian troops - Meduza's note). ➤ We do not currently see any negotiation prospects and continue to state the absence of any prerequisites for such negotiations [between Putin and Zelensky].

Oleksiy Arestovich, adviser to the Presidential Office, assessed the prospects for the offensive of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in the Zaporozhye direction in the near future

"These" heroes "are terribly afraid of an offensive along the Zaporozhye-Melitopol line and are constantly throwing new troops there. About four or six BTGs have arrived there - they are building a terrible defense there," he said.

According to Arestovich, "of course, we would have attacked, but for such an attack, with such a number of their troops, a lot of forces are needed."

"We'll see... On the other hand, who knows? Maybe we'll find them," the adviser to the OP added.

Anyway:

That's a great point, and will also open them up to predations by China which is in everyone's best interest to not allow (which might not since they're not on good terms since Nikita) so that's bit's my bad :p. Still, their propaganda has suddenly taken a sharp turn in the last few days and I wonder what it'll mean in the near future.

Also, Putin has canceled all military meetings, has gone to his mansion in Sochi: https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/1569334222242070536

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
9/12/22 4:39 p.m.

Current gains, taken from:https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1569243140107780096/photo/1

Another Russian fear is that Dontesk falls. If I recall correctly, that would mean that Russia also looses the train system which has been crucial for them to move men and material though the nation as it's a major hub.

Warmonitor's approximate Donbas situation : https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1569375105905737734

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/12/22 4:39 p.m.
tuna55 said:

So... they are saying reparation did not create the rise of the Nazi party in Germany because they really where not that harsh, and Germany had other issues that were worse...

...and also, Hitler used reparation as a primary issue and way to rise to power (by basically mis-representing the issues).

So... how where reparations not a significant part of the rise of Nazi's again? 

Keep in mind Russia is VERY good at spinning things to make themselves the victims and have a very strong hold of the narrative inside Russia.  I would honestly expect some of the spin to start pretty soon. Some sort Nazi / NATO /western conspiracy to deprive the glorious Russian people of there precious bodily fluids maybe (I really need to watch Dr. Strangelove again...)

To be fair:  The point could be made that Hitler could have used almost anything that could be considered a slight on Germany as a justification, but that only makes the care that O2 is talking about even more critical.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/12/22 4:47 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

....Another Russian fear is that Dontesk falls. If I recall correctly, that would mean that Russia also looses the train system which has been crucial for them to move men and material though the nation as it's a major hub....

Good point.  The Russians have always be very depended on rail systems to move their military (made BIG use of it in WWII).  I wouldn't call it a major hub, but more the only link between the southern gains and mainland Russia.   There is of course still the Kerch bridge link, and thus the reasons the Russians are likely getting very paranoid about that.  

Now that the Russians have been surprised and severely hit by the left hand, while looking at the right hand... might there be a crotch kick to Donetsk coming?  Combine that with a precision missile strike ot the Kerch bridge, and oh boy!

Full size: https://dlca.logcluster.org/download/attachments/4230461/UKR_LCA_RailwayNetwork_A4L_20140616.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1403100726000&api=v2

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/12/22 4:53 p.m.

"OK students.  I am stepping in for Professor 02 for class today" (see what I did there?)

"Since I am normally a gym teacher and I know more about squat thrusts then Easter European historical politics, we are going to watch a movie.  This movie is an accurate historical portrayal of the conflict between the USSR and the United States.  That is at least what the guy at Blockbuster told me:"

https://archive.org/details/Popcornarchive-dr.Strangelove1964

"Required watching people!  There will be a quiz!"

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
9/12/22 5:04 p.m.
aircooled said:

"OK students.  I am stepping in for Professor 02 for class today" (see what I did there?)

"Since I am normally a gym teacher and I know more about squat thrusts then Easter European historical politics, we are going to watch a movie.  This movie is an accurate historical portrayal of the conflict between the USSR and the United States.  That is at least what the guy at Blockbuster told me:"

https://archive.org/details/Popcornarchive-dr.Strangelove1964

"Required watching people!  There will be a quiz!"

Everyone should watch that movie. It's a great film, and entertainment though it is, it raises some of the internal contradictions of the whole MAD system very effectively.

A much lesser known film, but one very much worth watching, is "Fail Safe", also from 1964. One reviewer described it as "Dr. Strangelove without the humor." I show it in my Cold War history classes.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
9/12/22 5:18 p.m.

If I taught a class on the Cold War, on the first day, to give the students an understanding of the comparative experience of World War Two of the USA and the Soviet Union,I would show them a double feature of KELLY'S HEROES and COME AND SEE.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
9/12/22 5:18 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Blaming, at least in part, NATO expansion for Russian aggression is a ridiculous idea. If not for NATO, Russia would only be -more- aggressive.

I'm not sure what the qualifications of "Time Ghost" are, but I looked them up and can't find any record of any academic work. That video very quickly describes events, but offers zero evidence to back any assertions. By contrast, there is extensive academic literature that links the rise of the NSDAP with aspects of the Treaty of Versailles, particularly Article 231, the so-called War Guilt Clause, which is not mentioned at all.

Similarly, stating that Russia would be more aggressive but for NATO expansion is not a provable assertion. You may believe it to be true, but there is no evidence supporting it; it is difficult to prove something that did not happen. There is evidence, including statements from Putin himself, that NATO expansion was viewed as a threat and would be actively opposed.

Getting your history from YouTube is like getting your car repair information from YouTube. It's not all bad, but a lot of it is. History and international relations have their Scotty Kilmers too.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
9/12/22 5:21 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Iraq comes to mind...

It is clear we do not share a definition of "stability".

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/12/22 5:25 p.m.

I am hoping he kind of flipped that because Iraq is a great example of similarity to WWI-II Germany.  

In Germany, you got the Nazi's

In Iraq, you got ISIS (arguably even worse)

stroker
stroker PowerDork
9/12/22 5:42 p.m.
02Pilot said:
A much lesser known film, but one very much worth watching, is "Fail Safe", also from 1964. One reviewer described it as "Dr. Strangelove without the humor." I show it in my Cold War history classes.

Worth watching for Henry Fonda if nothing else.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/12/22 5:43 p.m.

Multiple explosions reported at an airbase inside Russia - Twitter video.  If this is for real, that's where they base a bunch of transport aircraft, and their equivalent of AWACS.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/12/22 6:21 p.m.

I was always under the impression that dictatorships were one man shows and everyone else followed along out of fear and hopes of getting a little of the spoils. Once those dictators started thinking they where gods (as they always do) and eventually went too far, screwed up, and brought misery to their people and were then deposed, the rest of the fanatics went into hiding and back under their rock. ?? I'm still rooting for Vlad the impaler to fall out of a high window.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
9/12/22 6:34 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

I was always under the impression that dictatorships were one man shows and everyone else followed along out of fear and hopes of getting a little of the spoils. Once those dictators started thinking they where gods (as they always do) and eventually went too far, screwed up, and brought misery to their people and were then deposed, the rest of the fanatics went into hiding and back under their rock. ?? I'm still rooting for Vlad the impaler to fall out of a high window.

It might look that way from the outside, but it's rarely that simple. There are always factions, be they individual or structural, with interests of their own that complicate the process of decision-making. Academics often disagree on how much of a factor these are, but rarely do they dismiss them outright.

Two books worth reading to get a sense of how complex seemingly simple governmental structures are are Christopher Clark's The Sleepwalkers: How Europe went to War in 1914, and Graham Allison and Philip Zelikow's Essence of Decision: Explaining the Cuban Missile Crisis. The former is straight history, while the latter examines three models: rational actor, organizational behavior, and governmental politics.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/12/22 6:39 p.m.

Definitely a transport base.  A bunch of IL-76's (and a bunch of AN-2's, fun little planes).  I don't see any AWACS versions, but they might be there.  It's probably a good 200 miles from a potential launch location (similar range as the Crimea airbase attack).  So maybe another one of those domestic Ukrainian missiles.   The inability of the Russians to intercept these is uhm, interesting, but nice to see a bit of "return in kind".

There were also reports of large explosions near Azov.  This looks to be an S300 / S400 SAM battery, and rather large one.  You can see the launch trucks, some of which have the tubes vertical.  The other explosion looks to be in the area of what might be an army base (just a bunch of buildings).

This is an AN-2 BTW.  Very capable aircraft and VERY slow!!!

Antonov An2 '41 yellow' | This An2 is an active Estonian Air… | Flickr

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/22 6:44 p.m.
aircooled said:
bobzilla said:

By that point the soviets were manufacturing a crap ton of equipment and really didn't need our Lend/Lease junk. 

Uhm.... what?

• 400,000 jeeps & trucks
  • 14,000 airplanes
  • 8,000 tractors
  • 13,000 tanks
  • 1.5 million blankets
  • 15 million pairs of army boots
  • 107,000 tons of cotton
  • 2.7 million tons of petrol products
  • 4.5 million tons of food

They were pumping a lot of their own stuff by then, but "crap"?   I think not sir!  cheeky

BTW - if you mention the P39, I will find you, slap you in the back of the head, then give you a good "talkin to"  surprise

He's right to a large degree, depending on your assessment of "junk".  We never gave them the GOOD stuff.

We also sent them a lot of machine tools, and trains, in addition to the "Studebekkers" that they praised.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/12/22 7:07 p.m.

Well, when you look at the numbers, the vast majority of the stuff has no real "quality" concern (e.g. Gas, Cotten, Food, Trucks / Jeeps etc).

As far as planes and tanks.  You could say the P39 / P40 where less then useful to the US at the time, but where VERY useful for the low altitude fighting that was happening on the Eastern front (the P39 was faster then all but the very late 109's at low altitude).  Most don't realize, but we also sent them (later of course) P63's, Spitfire IX's and some P47's (which could easily be considered the best overall plane of the war, and not cheap).

As far as vehicles.  Certainly, early on, they get the less then impressive (especially for the Eastern front) early Shermans, but those where front line US tanks for a long time (well into 1944 at least).  Later they got a good number of M4A2's (MUCH better 76mm gun) and the M17 (quad 50 AA gun truck), certainly good quality equipment.

Maybe not, absolute tip of spear equipment in some cases, but highly useful for their needs and certainly good.

https://www.ww2-weapons.com/lend-lease-tanks-and-aircrafts/

Some American aircraft types were simply irreplaceable and very highly appreciated on all levels during the war, e.g. P-39 Airacobra fighters, A-20 Boston and B-25 Mitchell bombers and C-47 transport aircraft.

Several Soviet aces scored more than 40 victories with Airacobras. G.A.Rechkalov’s 50 victories are apparently the highest score ever with an American fighter, while the No.2 Soviet ace A.I.Pokryshkin claimed 48 of his 59 victories when flying Airacobras.

https://lend-lease.net/articles-en/aircraft-deliveries-to-the-soviet-union/

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/22 7:08 p.m.
02Pilot said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Iraq comes to mind...

It is clear we do not share a definition of "stability".

Actually, I was intending to mention Iraq post Saddam as supporting your position. I should have elaborated. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/12/22 7:35 p.m.

Of course you all know about the Lend Lease condoms? The Russians put them on the order form, along with other sundry items. The request was for condoms, size large. The Americans filled the order but labeled them Condoms: Russian large, US medium.

1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 ... 413

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P3VvdkgJfPdS55eB9qGdq7mWaI8ilfMcAh27lZVQbt2gck9faOuApqn90KcwgtD1