1 ... 269 270 271 272 273 ... 305
CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/23 1:19 p.m.

In the never ending quest for something interesting for breakfast I asked my wife to buy ham and Gruyere cheese for my omelettes. She bought smoked gruyere. OMG! BEST! OMELETTE! EVER!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/23 8:14 p.m.

I was the only person who correctly diagnosed an overheating issue over the internet, on iATN.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
8/31/23 11:05 p.m.

Been working on the alleged racecar every night & weekend for the last couple months. Finished the lengthy punchlist & went to test at Mid-O this evening.

Things that worked: no bumpsteer, no overheating, new seatbelts were easy to adjust, new valvesprings cured 5000rpm flatline, new windage screen & baffles kept oil under control...

Things that need fixed before next race: nothing.

Winning!

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
9/1/23 1:30 a.m.

Went over to my cousins place to grab my drum set. Having my closest cousin live across town is the first win. Thunderstorm imminent as I'm driving over. We go out to watch the lightning, second win. It starts raining. Third win. Flood rains, I'm talking POORING. But it was 102f today so shirts and shoes off and we go out to feed the storm. Man, what an evening. 15 seconds in and we may as well have jumped in a pool. Soaked. It was awesome. 

Im home now, it's still raining. Weekend forecast is 20 degrees cooler than it has been. Studio time booked. It's fixing to be a great weekend. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/3/23 3:46 p.m.

Big promotion goes through on Wednesday according to the boss. Somehow people have the list already and are sharing it around the office so I don't feel like I need to be 100% secret online about it. 

CAinCA
9/3/23 6:29 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Congratulations!

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
9/3/23 9:38 p.m.

Possibly more than a "minor" win, I got a $300 dollar electric mower, battery and charger for free:

And while I can make it randomly shut off (I believe from the prior owners, that it's poor contacts in the emergency battery cutoff) it works SHOCKINGLY well. Like "this is from Walmart how is it good" well. It's easily half the weight of my other free push mower (a yard man from MTD conglomerate) and half the noise; and the 4 amp hour battery is still enough to mow my entire front lawn. When I get my cub cadet mower working I might sunset the yard man completely even if I cant fix the cutout issue.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/5/23 8:48 a.m.

Celebrated 30 years of my wife putting up with me yesterday.  To make it even better I spent a good chunk of the day at an LKQ yard pulling  parts for my middle son's Classic 900 Turbo.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/5/23 6:40 p.m.

I made violence sauce today. 

Taco Bell had brought back the lava sauce- and I managed to successfully clone the sauce with help of the internet. Then I thought to myself- what happens if I go ham on this E36 M3? 

I remembered, I have ground, dried smoked ghost pepper. I also ordered a giant jar of powdered cheddar cheese- like WAY better than kraft powder (which is apparently a component of lava sauce- cheese powder).

So, I remade the recipe, but used ghost pepper and GOOD cheese. 

It's amazing. I'm very happy. I might try and sell this E36 M3. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/10/23 10:39 a.m.

Edit: I guess I was being a little wordy but it was an emotional weekend. 

Between Thursday afternoon and Saturday night my Mom was diagnosed, admitted, transferred operated on, and I was kept in the loop at every step. 

I keep hearing how the system is broken yet I keep having experiences like this. 

My Mom can't look after herself and I have absolutely no concerns about the care she's getting. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/10/23 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

The system has worked well for me, too, but I seldom use it.  Well, other than that little quadruple bypass from a few years back.  I think if you show up actively broken, it works well.  I also know how long people limp around waiting for a hip replacement.

I've said a few times, when in discussions about the cost of health care, if we go back to 1969 levels of tech, it gets a lot less expensive.  Dad had a couple of heart attacks, followed by the big one at 56.  No late life expenses, no expensive heart surgery  followed by a treatment and a lingering death from lung cancer due to the Export A's... 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/23 12:13 p.m.

I've lost 13 pounds since I started my job in March. And I wasn't even trying.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
9/12/23 12:20 p.m.

Got a really nice stainless steel pan set ordered for 60% off to replace our aging/failing nonstick pans. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
9/12/23 1:16 p.m.

My oldest son saved for two years and bought himself and Oculus Quest. Dang proud of him.

I may have to broker a deal on paying half for Beat Saber if I can play.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/12/23 8:37 p.m.

I managed to get three kinds of cheese into a dinner titled "chicken soup and green salad" yesterday.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/14/23 11:52 a.m.

This may set a new record for oldest win, but I just stumbled on this and had to share. My graduating class' prank:

Can anyone top that - Especially seeing as it was on the second floor with no freight elevator?

I was one of the instigators, but was several thousand miles away by the time it actually happened - sadly. Would have loved to have been there.

Unfortunately, the guy who owned the car failed to see the humor and a few heads got banged even though nobody ever ratted to the school administration.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/19/23 4:33 p.m.

My middle son (15) and I have been working on getting his first car, a 1986 SAAB 900 Turbo that he bought for $500, back on the road for a couple of months.  The car is at my Dad's house an 1.5 hours away so progress has been limited to weekends.  It has been a lot of fun hanging out with him, imparting some of the limited knowledge I have of mechanics to him, and figuring out stuff together. 

I just found out that yesterday one of his friends cars wouldn't start, so Tyler came home, got our battery charger and got the car started.  Its heart warming to know that he really has been paying attention while we have been working and that he has gained enough confidence to do stuff without asking me for help first.  From what I understand, the other kids dad was just going to buy another battery when the issue is most likely that the car just sits most of the time.  Its a 2018 Impala that the dealership supposedly put a new battery in when the kid and his parents bought it.

Way to go Tyler.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/19/23 4:45 p.m.

Two out of the four vehicles in the Recon household are equipped with manual transmissions. It's a win because all of the Recon daughters want to learn to drive stick. Woot!!!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/19/23 10:38 p.m.

wae and I drove out to Ely, Nevada for the Silver State Classic, met a lot of cool people, got to do some touristing, competed in the 100 MPH class, and made it home safely.  We didn't trophy (took 5th out of 10 in our class), but our time was good enough that we would have won the class last year.  Target time was 54 minutes flat.  We were off that by 0.3787 seconds.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/22/23 1:21 p.m.

I know you probably parked this way so nobody could ding your precious baby, but too bad! I fit anyway!!! BWAHAHAHA!!!!!

CAinCA
9/22/23 1:46 p.m.

I read this thread and the Minor rant thread every day. This thread puts a smile on my face because I can see everyone else's wins. The rant thread puts a smile on my face because I can see that I'm not the only one dealing with bullE36 M3 on a regular basis.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
9/22/23 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I will strongly advise my kids not to participate in a senior prank.  They often end in shock, anger, and the kids not walking.  The local news puts a spin on those stories of "how could they do that" and talks about possible damage and loss of educational instruction. 

The year before I entered 9th grade, the outgoing seniors did a pretty epic senior prank as well though.  Kid who's parents owned a horse farm dropped a load of manure in front of the school parking lot and put a sign on it that read "School name is the E36 M3".  The perps were never caught.  But would have been in a world of E36 M3 if they'd been caught.  

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/23 3:30 p.m.

Scored a set of  older longacre car scales today for a good price. That brings me up to having got: scales, camber gauge, tire pyrometer, bump steer gauge (all longacre), a nice leakdown tester set  and 4 sets of takeoff slicks for under $1k. Patience pays on marketplace

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/22/23 3:55 p.m.

My son has been driving our old Rav4 since he got his license, so I finally got around to installing the Draw-Tite hitch that's been gathering dust in my shed for 2 years on our Odyssey so I can make dump runs with our 4x8' HF utility trailer.  The other minor win was I actually had (and more impressively - found) the tap I needed from a previous hitch project to clean out the threads in the two vertical holes needed to mount the hitch.  Not having to borrow my wife or son's car to make a dump run is actually a pretty big win in my book.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/23 4:13 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I will strongly advise my kids not to participate in a senior prank.  They often end in shock, anger, and the kids not walking.  The local news puts a spin on those stories of "how could they do that" and talks about possible damage and loss of educational instruction. 

The year before I entered 9th grade, the outgoing seniors did a pretty epic senior prank as well though.  Kid who's parents owned a horse farm dropped a load of manure in front of the school parking lot and put a sign on it that read "School name is the E36 M3".  The perps were never caught.  But would have been in a world of E36 M3 if they'd been caught.  

Authorities definitely seem to lack a sense of humor bout such things nowadays. Was reading about a similar prank the other day where all parties involved wanted to laugh it off but the DA was resolutely "rules are rules" and was bound and determined to screw up a kids life. 

1 ... 269 270 271 272 273 ... 305

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b39gjhGELnaMhlCSBHIKRpEWD5Crv5hcLIcwpl5UpiHQW68wFrTJ1RMQtazj7ZyZ