1 ... 270 271 272 273 274 ... 305
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/23 4:54 p.m.

For some reason, The Bat started spending time curled up in her dog bed up in my office next to my desk over the last few days. It's been months since she really spend much time using it, and it definitely brightens my workday seeing her there out of the corner of my eye and hearing her lightly snoring. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
9/28/23 5:48 p.m.

Coworker mass ordered trash tacos from jack. I ate 5. Not bad for a slow Thursday afternoon. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/28/23 8:11 p.m.

I had an epiphany last night at work. FIGMO. An old WWII term. Berk It, Got My Orders. I was slowly ramping up my anxiety about what that guy should be doing, they didn't do this, we need to get that, etc...

Then I realized, berkeley it, it's not my problem. I'm just a E36 M3ty Mech I. I don't have any juice to tell anyone what to do. Why am I spazing out? Do what's asked. To what's expected. If I finish MY jobs, I will be happy to help others.

And I felt a giant load off my shoulders.

wae
wae PowerDork
9/29/23 10:17 a.m.

I had to give my second speech for my Intro to Communications class last night and for whatever reason, I really did not do a good job with it.  It's kind of been getting me down a little bit, but I just realized that even if I got a zero on that assignment, it will only drag my grade for the class down to an 84%.  And while it wasn't as good as what I know I'm capable of, I figure it should be good for a C.

Amazing how a little bit of perspective can make your day better!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/23 10:47 a.m.

third interview later today for a job i kinda really want.  i need to get this layoff E36 M3 behind me ASAP.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/29/23 10:59 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Best of luck, AC.

barefootcyborg5000
9/30/23 9:57 p.m.

Mystery drum a acquired in trade turned out to be something I've been wanting for a long time. Best part, I didn't have to spend $400 to get it. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/1/23 11:09 a.m.

Oldest son "  the exhaust manifold in my car is leaking so I ordered a header for it".

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/2/23 7:24 p.m.

Got some wood split for the shop this weekend. Damn satisfying.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
10/7/23 11:22 p.m.

I did a clutch pedal and cable adjustment/lube on my daily driver today. It cut the pedal effort in half, and got rid of the "mushy" feeling on engagement and release. 

barefootcyborg5000
10/8/23 6:54 p.m.

Brother and his kid are going to be able to come on the big family trip. Tough to see them because NJ is quite a skip. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/8/23 7:11 p.m.

Had a nice fire last night, the weather was perfect, invented a nice cocktail to drink next to the fire, didn't burn down the house, got rid of a bunch of yard debris. A nice win on all accounts

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/9/23 2:05 p.m.

Finally signed a contract to gut renovate both bathrooms and fabricate extensive built-ins in our master bedroom, after almost 3 years of actively looking.

Decent price, good schedule, great references.

SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy
SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/9/23 2:37 p.m.
Duke said:

after almost 3 years of actively looking 

that's all?  I think my wife has been actively looking since the builder handed us the keys in 2000.  

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
10/9/23 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Congratulations, I think that might be a major win.  Hoping your luck may mean some sanity will be returning to our market at some point, it's still absurd here right now.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/10/23 7:43 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Thanks!  We should have done this 10 years ago after we got done paying for the kitchen / laundry addition / windows and siding. The bathrooms are 1967 originals with a $500 fix-n-flip from when we bought the house in 1993.  We were just about to start looking for contractors when COVID hit, which pushed us back a year, plus all the well-known insanity that followed.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/10/23 7:45 a.m.

On another note, Bruce Dern (seemingly the real one) liked an FB post I made about Silent Running:

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
10/10/23 9:29 a.m.

My oldest daughter (14 years old) does not feel like having a birthday party this year (as usual... she's very introverted).

Her (3) friends want her to have one, and so she has been stressing out because they will probably throw her a small party if she doesn't plan one.

I, in my infinite Dad wisdom, and with a healthy dose of smart-aleck, told her to not sweat it. Don't plan a party, and if her friends throw one, she can blame them if it goes sideways. They'll be happy, she'll be happy that they're happy, everybody wins.

She thought about it for 10-15 seconds, looked at me and said, "Dad, that makes a lot of sense. You're pretty cool sometimes."

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/23 2:44 p.m.

This is a minor win for a friend of mine. 

He finally grew a set and quit his job. 

That's a big win for him, because he usually always sticks around and gets screwed for years on end. Stuck on call for months straight, shorted materials, revoked vacations, incompetent help, random schedule changes, illegal scheduling and billing practices, and that's just this company, and just since the first of the year.

But he quit, and got a recommended application in at the electricians union about an hour later. 

barefootcyborg5000
10/10/23 3:15 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Brother and his kid are going to be able to come on the big family trip. Tough to see them because NJ is quite a skip. 

Plane tickets, hotel rooms, and the most important Mouse tickets have all been purchased. Hopefully 55 days will smooth the pain of the expense enough for me to focus completely on having a great vacation with all my siblings. We did it once ten years ago, and none of them have been back since, and now there are 6 grandkids for my folks to spoil. 

It's a big expense, but I've been extremely fortunate the last couple years. And the way I see it, in another 10 years the money would have been spent anyway, so we might as well make some memories while we can. Who knows when or if it'll ever happen again. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/23 6:17 p.m.

that 9:05 is my fastest mile in a long time. And if I knew I was on a 9:05 pace, you can believe I would have found another six seconds in these old legs and lungs.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/11/23 8:15 a.m.

I found a set of the unobtanium 15x6 949Racing 6ULs, with 205/50R15 Bridgestone RE71RSs with three events on them, down in Pennsylvania near where I'll be this weekend for $900. Those tires new are $760, and my friend Lawrence wants to buy two of the wheels (can only run them on the front of MR2 Spyders for E/Street), so it's a pretty killer deal. I'll keep two, sell Lawrence two for $250, and then keep all four tires, and just buy a set of 15x6.5" Konig Heliums for the rear and have next year's race wheel/tire package set.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/23 7:43 p.m.

I got my weld groove back

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/23 12:13 a.m.

New tires today on the 5, and at an unexpectedly good price to boot. After the pity party I held for myself last weekend when I discovered cords playing peekaboo, it's a pretty big relief to have fresh rubber under it.

barefootcyborg5000
10/13/23 2:24 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

I had to re-shoe my 5 last week. I feel the pain and also the relief. Now I need to replace worn suspension and get a proper alignment. Hopefully it's good for another 130k. 

1 ... 270 271 272 273 274 ... 305

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ODtuUpknZpX1Ugek714WBatigFlDQxm0IEjKERip3kB1GmJmQkoiRfkbb496Ihoi