1 ... 282 283 284 285 286 ... 305
DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/24 10:59 p.m.

Another one today. A year or two my crappy little Poulan chainsaw quit running despite having fresh fuel lines. Today I had some storm damage to clean up, so I popped the carb off and took a look inside. Yep. There's your trouble, mister.

Screen removed and un-sludged:

Twiddle the screws the right way, and the little green "junk" saw flat rips. Can't be mad about that. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/24 12:37 p.m.

I posted in the rants thread about how my daughter was having a hard time at college. On Thursday one of her professors gave a lecture and then took questions. She couldn't answer any of them. Then she asked the students not to drop her class. WTF?!?!? My daughter called us and we helped her swap into the class of the chair of the department. She went to her class on Friday and was much happier. Yeah!

On Saturday she worked a shift at her job and had a terrible day. I reminded her that she doesn't need to work while she's going to school and told her that if she isn't happy there that she should quit. Yesterday she quit. Good riddance. Yeah!

She went to a social function on Friday night with some other girls who are on the periphery of her current "friend" group and had a good time. I told her to try to get together with them on her own (without the current frenemy group). I talked to her last night and she told me that she invited them over and that they were on their way. Yeah! Hopefully they had a good time. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/24 1:29 p.m.

Second win: My wife and I really needed a good weekend. All this trouble with our daughter and my in-laws has been weighing on us. On Saturday we drove down the coast to Big Sur. We did a hike that we've never done before and it was great. Then we then hit Napenthe for a late lunch. There was no wait when we got there and we wound up with a balcony table with a view. 

On Sunday we went to the West side of Pinnacles National Park for the first time. We've been to the East side many times but this was our first visit to the West side. We did the balconies hike most of which was pretty flat but you have to climb/duck walk through a cave system in ankle/shin depth water. It was really cool. We emerged on the far side of the caves and saw California Condors flying overhead. We seen them before but they are usually 1/2 mile or more off in the distance. These were about 300 feet above our heads. 

I was wiped out last night and slept pretty good for the first time in a couple weeks. I really needed that.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/30/24 8:09 p.m.

On our way to the Falls today I got pulled over by the OPP , like your troopers, for no front plate. My car was a Quebec car and they don't use front plates. So I've been pushing my luck these last couple years.  And that luck ran out this afternoon. 

Then the cop returned with my license, etc, and said, I'm in a good mood today, and it turns out we share the same birthday.  I know that no bad people were born in January, so put your plate on, and have a nice day sir. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/30/24 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Tell me that today is your birthday, too...?!

My minor win is that while I am sick as a dog, it's just a cold, and not COVID.

I personally think lunch at the Napenthe is a major win.   Just saying.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/30/24 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Not today, but the 24th. But if it helps I was sick as a dog on my birthday too. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/30/24 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I was going to be more than a little freaked out if it was the 30th.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
2/1/24 10:01 p.m.

I joined an indoor karting league last week to help stave off the winter blues.  Not looking to win anything, just a way to have a good time one evening a week. 

By some miracle of miracles, tonight I qualified 3rd overall out of 31 others, and held my own throughout the rest of the night.  Felt really good to play at the pointy end of the field for once.  

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/1/24 10:45 p.m.

Lost 22 pounds since my high of last year. Low carb diet and eating less. BP is lower too. Got flu shot. It was a good day.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/24 10:56 p.m.
Puddy46 said:

I joined an indoor karting league last week to help stave off the winter blues.  Not looking to win anything, just a way to have a good time one evening a week. 

By some miracle of miracles, tonight I qualified 3rd overall out of 31 others, and held my own throughout the rest of the night.  Felt really good to play at the pointy end of the field for once.  

I didn't realize there were leagues for this. This is now on my list of things to check out for next year's winter memberships budget

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
2/2/24 7:48 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Would 100% recommend.  It's an easy button to keeping the competitive juices flowing.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/2/24 7:58 a.m.

Favorite band just announced the second shiw in a decade. And i just bought tickets. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
2/2/24 1:59 p.m.

Through what can only be described as an odd chance of happenstance, my wife acquired several cases Totino's pizza rolls...for free. 4,000 to be exact. We are now that kid in middle school you heard of that was someone's cousin who won a year supply of something. Friday Night board game nights are gonna be lit this year.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/24 7:00 p.m.

A week ago we found out that the deep freeze (for here) after the New Year had frozen and broken the filter housing for the big filter on the cabin's well water supply (which it badly needs, it's very sediment-y) and were told that they also thought there were other issues. The cabin rental company had a plumber come out to look things over- but after a week of them not even getting an estimate to the cabin company/us and The Dancer and I scheduled to spend this weekend out there, I packed up my tools and stopped at Lowe's for a new housing and a connection kit in case the new one wasn't the same as the old and headed out there today. 

When I got out there, I found that there was already a new upper housing (what had broken when it froze) that was identical to the old one- so I was able to replace it at only the cost of my time and the fuel for the Infiniti to get there and back again. Furthermore, once hooking it up and making sure it was sealing properly, I rolled the dice and opened the valve to pressurize the rest of the plumbing in the cabin and watched for leaks in case any of the other lines had broken (which I assumed was unlikely since they're all PEX), and thankfully there weren't any. 

So, win that I was able to return $175 of stuff I didn't need and don't have to pay at least that much (likely several times more) to a plumber to just replace a filter housing. Considerable annoying that the cabin company's maintenance guys couldn't just berking do it themselves since this type of E36 M3 is literally their job whereas I'm just a slightly more skilled (and fearless when it comes to being willing to try fixing things) homeowner. 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/3/24 10:53 a.m.

You mean, after all of my procrastinating, it was that easy to replace the starter drive gear on my tractor?! Should have done it 2 years ago.

DarkMonohue
2/3/24 11:16 a.m.
slefain said:

Through what can only be described as an odd chance of happenstance, my wife acquired several cases Totino's pizza rolls...for free. 4,000 to be exact.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on. You don't just casually mention that you have fallen backward into 4,000 cases of Totino's pizza rolls and then walk away. This is a story that must be told.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
2/3/24 7:39 p.m.

A brand new used car. 2021 Mazda CX-30 with 13k miles. Nothing fancy just a 2.5 liter fwd but man is it nice to have a car this new and this unmolested. Perfect amount of old and new tech. I really love this car. Perfect DD. 

DarkMonohue
2/3/24 9:56 p.m.

As posted here, last week I found a sweet little Victorinox Pioneer at a local antique and collectible joint. That knife now rides in my watch pocket every day and is fast winning me over. We went back today looking for Hot Wheels, and they were gone, but I found a fairly priced Buck 110 that came home with me. It's not actually very old (2009 according to the tang stamp) so I didn't feel guilty shining it up. A little time correcting the blade closing depth, a little more time softening the recurve on the blade (personal preference) and putting an edge back on it, and it's downright presentable. A brief before and after:

It may become a gift. Not sure yet.

Also posted here was our great big ice storm that left our fridge without power. There is, believe it or don't, a win in that. This model has a tendency to clog the evaporator drain tube, and even though I cleaned the tube out and attempted to thaw the ice around the evaporator core last fall, it was still drooling internally and making half-inch sheets of ice on the freezer floor. It's not doing that anymore. Apparently, eight days without power was enough time for it to throughly thaw itself out, and with no glacier in the way, the water created when the defroster defrosts simply drains out the tube the way God and KitchenAid intended. I know it sounds too minor to even mention here, but I'm pretty sick of dragging that fridge in and out of its hole every so often, and I'm counting it.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/4/24 12:02 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:
slefain said:

Through what can only be described as an odd chance of happenstance, my wife acquired several cases Totino's pizza rolls...for free. 4,000 to be exact.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on. You don't just casually mention that you have fallen backward into 4,000 cases of Totino's pizza rolls and then walk away. This is a story that must be told.

Yes, the story AND your storage plan  

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
2/4/24 9:28 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

LOL, I have that exact knife and sheath down in my toolbox.  That was my "daily" when I was a service tech so the sheath is a bit more road worn.  That, a mini mag flashlight in a sheath and my pager (!) on a web belt every day.  I was in the office full time before cell phones became a thing or that would have gone on there too.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
2/4/24 11:18 a.m.

Got dropped into a hospital project to clean up a bunch of outstanding system integration issues ahead of occupancy. Mostly it's a case of the automated announcements stating the wrong room, lights not coming to full brightness, digital signage pointing the response teams in the wrong direction etc. Our subcontractors are working towards correcting each item. Once they tell us they've corrected the issue I  go test it before calling in our third party commissioning contractor to witness and certify that the system is working as per design. So now I get to go around setting off code blues, code whites, fire alarms, security alarms and panic alarms. All the stuff you're generally not allowed to do.  My inner 12 year old is really happy.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/24 3:50 p.m.

Woo. New Grand Tour Feb 16, New Clarkson Farm May 3!!

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
2/4/24 5:04 p.m.

I finally was able to completely flush the black tank sensors in the camper. Now I have more accurate poop measuring capability!

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/24 5:40 p.m.

Yesterday: It seems the power steering leak in the Element was a loose clamp. Got my GRM NYG box in the post.  I went out to two local parks with my wife and walked around. Later on, went out with some friends and chewed the fat at the bar for a bit.

Today: Slept in, ran a 5k, puttered in the yard and garage a bit, ate some tasty snacks. 

Overall, a pretty good weekend that let me bleed off some stress. 

1 ... 282 283 284 285 286 ... 305

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nGH4vuRLUQQXEqkPqBnlNPnx1VsjLhg56mgJ2n9TCBswJtnwqeNVz9IJ97askgHD