1 2
Enyar
Enyar Dork
12/1/15 10:30 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Kitchen soffits with HVAC? Ugh. I don't have good news for you on that one. I figured you were looking for practice. I just think you may decide it may be more trouble than it is worth.

The good part about the kitchen is the AC duct comes straight down and exits in the soffit. I need to go up there again and investigate further but I think I just need to shorten the duct and replace the vent.

Did you ever get my PM about renovations? I sent it a couple months or so ago.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
12/1/15 10:46 a.m.

Can't help you with the ductwork. But in my old house we moved in to fully soffited kitchen with a 4' fluorescent light. I ripped out the soffit and installed can lights throughout. Painted the cabinets white with a chocolate glaze (French countryhome style) with a crown molding on the top of the cabinets. New pulls throughout and a new countertop. All in I spent maybe $4,000 and the end result was AMAZING. People simply refused to believe it was DIY and cheap.

Don't doubt yourself, just do it and if it doesn't turn out the wake do it again. Life is full of learning experiences like this.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/1/15 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Enyar:

I think I missed your PM. Try me again.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
12/1/15 11:54 a.m.

What a timely thread. I am just about to do this to my Florida house. Same rooms and all, two bathrooms and the kitchen.

The only reason they are like this is to hide the damn office florescent fixtures. It's the worst twofer ever, not only do you get a terrible light fixture, but you also get a 10 inch lower ceiling to go with it!

I'll post some pics of mine when I start the demo here in a couple days. I have a bedroom to finish carpeting and trimming, and then will tackle the spare bathroom first.

Here's some pics of my bathroom reno at our previous house, where they had those stupid office florescent fixtures.

http://aboutreefiddy.blogspot.com/2014/04/bathroom-transformation-for-under-750.html

Enyar
Enyar Dork
12/1/15 2:34 p.m.

Nice! Take many many pictures so I can follow your lead!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PzXUHhm1yvcdF10zjeZzpTLhhSLzTLNwABIyk1HBb6j30qCnEVqz5w4EZXqveLfA