1 2 3 4
Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
1/24/12 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Osterkraut:

Cracker Barrel is homestyle food, in the south anyway. I don't like it but it certainly fits the category.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
1/24/12 10:10 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: I once dated a girl who thought [omitted for uselessness], but uh, dat ass.

FTFY

Awesome post BTW.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/24/12 10:13 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: These people professing love for the place must not have a proper mom -n- pop greasy spoon diner available and can be forgiven for their bankrupt advice but please, don't make a special trip if there is even a marginally passable establishment serving gravy fries at 3AM in your vicinity.
I once dated a girl who thought that Cracker Barrel was good "homestyle" food. That would have been a dealbreaker, but uh, dat ass.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/24/12 10:20 a.m.
The best thing to ever happen in a Waffle House was the opportunity to legally kill a person. Preferably before you have the chance to eat anything.

Well that does give WH a certain panache, but c'mon guys the dumpster behind Wal-Mart has better food!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/24/12 10:20 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: I once dated a girl who thought that Cracker Barrel was good "homestyle" food. That would have been a dealbreaker, but uh, dat ass.

If she likes the food at CB, what won't she put in her mouth?

Win.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/24/12 10:26 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to carguy123: I don't know what horrible experience you had at a Waffle House, but I have never had one. I think their food is reasonable and a descent price. In this day of greasy fast food breakfast, I would rather Waffle House over McDonalds/Burger King.

You have your adjectives mixed up which almost makes you right.

"I think their food is reasonable and descent" (the act, process, or fact of moving from a higher to a lower position - decline, grade, declivity; Descent has been in the English language since the 14th century. The French word from which it descends, descendre, ultimately comes from a Latin term whose literal meaning is “to climb” (scandre) “down” (de-). ) and the prices need to descend quite a bit for the quality of what you get.

They can't even cook grits right. It comes out an inedible gelatinous mass with no particular flavor, when grits done right is wonderful. Where do you think the "I hate grits movement" originated. You got it, from people who ate them at WH.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
1/24/12 10:38 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

I disagree vehemently with almost everything you have ever posted, but you do have a shred of validity in this one post. At their best, the WH grits are tolerable if highly variable in quality. At their worst, they suck.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
1/24/12 10:45 a.m.

Bad grits? Thats unacceptable.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
1/24/12 10:53 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Exactly, GPS. Waffle House is alright in a pinch, but a local Mom and Pop can usually beat them.

WHoleheartedly agree.

In my part of the country though, the mom-n-pop places aren't open for late night drunken noshing.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
1/24/12 10:59 a.m.

Waffle House 2587 W Internatl Speedway Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL (386) 255-8219 ‎ · wafflehouse.com

outside the big tunnel turn 2

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/24/12 11:55 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: In reply to carguy123: I disagree vehemently with almost everything you have ever posted, but you do have a shred of validity in this one post. At their best, the WH grits are tolerable if highly variable in quality. At their worst, they suck.

So I'm finally getting to you?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/24/12 12:22 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: I once dated a girl who thought [omitted for uselessness], but uh, dat ass.
FTFY Awesome post BTW.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
1/24/12 12:58 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

I keep winning. Guess I'm doing something right.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
1/24/12 1:17 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: In reply to carguy123: I disagree vehemently with almost everything you have ever posted, but you do have a shred of validity in this one post. At their best, the WH grits are tolerable if highly variable in quality. At their worst, they suck.
So I'm finally getting to you?

Quite to the contrary. We have found a point of mutual agreement!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
1/24/12 1:22 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to carguy123: I don't know what horrible experience you had at a Waffle House, but I have never had one. I think their food is reasonable and a descent price. In this day of greasy fast food breakfast, I would rather Waffle House over McDonalds/Burger King.
You have your adjectives mixed up which almost makes you right. "I think their food is reasonable and descent" (the act, process, or fact of moving from a higher to a lower position - decline, grade, declivity; Descent has been in the English language since the 14th century. The French word from which it descends, descendre, ultimately comes from a Latin term whose literal meaning is “to climb” (scandre) “down” (de-). ) and the prices need to descend quite a bit for the quality of what you get. They can't even cook grits right. It comes out an inedible gelatinous mass with no particular flavor, when grits done right is wonderful. Where do you think the "I hate grits movement" originated. You got it, from people who ate them at WH.

So by throwing the dictionary at me, you are trying to tell me I am an illiterate idiot? I realized after you pointed that out I meant to type "decent". You really went out of your way to be a grammar nazi. Congrats. There are many people on here that make grammar mistakes constantly and even if it bothers me, I don't say anything.

Also, I'm not looking to be right. I'm stating my opinion. We all have different tastes. If you don't like WH, then fine, but don't make all the people here who do like it sound like a bunch hilljack slobs who have never eaten anything but dirt. Way to be an shiny happy person.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/24/12 1:27 p.m.

Grits suck unless you fill them with cheese, bacon and hot sauce.

Waffle House is good for a chain restaurant and I don't care what anyone says except their gravy kinda sucks but the Texas Cheesesteak FTW.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/24/12 1:30 p.m.

Don't want to join in on the bitch fight going on, but we are fortunate to have a really good greasy spoon here, owned, of course, by a Greek family. Lester's, on SR84 in Ft. Lauderdale FL. Love it. Really good grits, too. I take visiting clients there, and considering that they are Caribbean, it is always a treat for them.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
1/24/12 1:32 p.m.

I love their waffles. I'm also a fan of the patty melt plate with the hashbrowns scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, and peppered.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
1/24/12 2:04 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Also, I'm not looking to be right. I'm stating my opinion. We all have different tastes. If you don't like WH, then fine, but don't make all the people here who do like it sound like a bunch hilljack slobs who have never eaten anything but dirt. Way to be an shiny happy person.

This made me laugh. Thank you!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
1/24/12 2:11 p.m.

I always stayed at the hotel closest to the Waffle house when I was traveling for work. I would eat breakfast there all the time, but have never eaten in one for lunch or dinner. I don't care how they cook their grits, there's no such thing as good grits. I'll leave now.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/24/12 2:11 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
You have your adjectives mixed up which almost makes you right. "I think their food is reasonable and descent" (the act, process, or fact of moving from a higher to a lower position - decline, grade, declivity; Descent has been in the English language since the 14th century. The French word from which it descends, descendre, ultimately comes from a Latin term whose literal meaning is “to climb” (scandre) “down” (de-). ) and the prices need to descend quite a bit for the quality of what you get. They can't even cook grits right. It comes out an inedible gelatinous mass with no particular flavor, when grits done right is wonderful. Where do you think the "I hate grits movement" originated. You got it, from people who ate them at WH.
So by throwing the dictionary at me, you are trying to tell me I am an illiterate idiot? I realized after you pointed that out I meant to type "decent". You really went out of your way to be a grammar nazi. Congrats. There are many people on here that make grammar mistakes constantly and even if it bothers me, I don't say anything. Also, I'm not looking to be right. I'm stating my opinion. We all have different tastes. If you don't like WH, then fine, but don't make all the people here who do like it sound like a bunch hilljack slobs who have never eaten anything but dirt. Way to be an shiny happy person.

youll learn that youre never going to be right whenever you find yourself at the intersection of Food and Carguy123 - his opinion is indomitably right, righteously powerful, and unopposably dominant - because he says so. I tune him out and go about my way discussing food topics with other people who want to converse. Youll find too youre one of those people who tire of being told why they are always un-right because they dont agree with him.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/24/12 2:33 p.m.

Jalapeno/shrimp fried grits: mix up some REAL grits, don't you DARE use that instant stuff because that ain't grits, it's wallpaper paste that didn't make the grade. Mix in diced jalapenos and shrimp. Dump it in a shallow pan and spread it out about 1/2" thick. Let it get cold and hard. Don't you DARE eat them like that because you will show that you are a heathen or, worse yet, a Yankee.

Cut the grits into ~ 2" squares and then fry them in hot oil or butter (butter's better). Flip them when the edge turns brown and then keep on fryin' till the other side turns brown. Serve hot and make sure your grandmomma ain't within arms reach because this is so good you'll slap her.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
1/24/12 2:34 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

Thanks for the advice.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
1/24/12 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

Thanks for the advice!

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/24/12 3:01 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
So by throwing the dictionary at me, you are trying to tell me I am an illiterate idiot? I realized after you pointed that out I meant to type "decent". You really went out of your way to be a grammar nazi. Congrats. There are many people on here that make grammar mistakes constantly and even if it bothers me, I don't say anything. Also, I'm not looking to be right. I'm stating my opinion. We all have different tastes. If you don't like WH, then fine, but don't make all the people here who do like it sound like a bunch hilljack slobs who have never eaten anything but dirt. Way to be an shiny happy person.

NOPE, just making a joke.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jwKtOYoarcDibrmt8bQpNkwt89H4HwpHVOXec1PaUL9nFepMtQkZFwU5PqSjoXlF