1 2 3
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/21/24 12:47 p.m.

Hi. My name is Mike and I am addicted to Fly and drives.

2024 brings Chapter 4 of the fly and drive journal. I have convinced the owner of one of my dream cars to sell his pristine example. It's my 4th fly and drive. I am setting up everything for the purchase and the drive back. I'll reveal the car in 3 weeks but the board knows of it. It's my second purchase from the LA area. 

Working through the route but will be avoiding the rockies as much as possible to remove the chance of hitting snow. Don't want this car to ever see snow. Not that it can't handle it but it this is a car I don't see ever leaving my garage and I'm buying this one as I'm looking for that lift long car. 

It'll be a very fun trip. Looking forward to bonding with the car over the course of 1800ish mile. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/24 1:10 p.m.

Boring! It's the misadventures that make these threads fun for the rest of us. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/24 1:30 p.m.

EVO?

bmw88rider
2/21/24 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Fine Keith. I'll come through I-70 and stay at your place if the highway closes. surprise Kidding. I'd probably head south on 141 and recreated the shot with Betty that ended up in GRM. 

The car will pass the winter traction laws. I just don't want to use it. 

Given as mild as the winter has been, the CoTrip cameras look pretty clear overall and it may not be too much of a concern. . LA to Omaha logically would have me going through I-70 

I'll be leaving LA 3/15 and have to be back to work 3/19 so no cannonball runs. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/24 10:18 a.m.

Assuming you mean Los Angeles and not Louisiana, if you find yourself plotting a route back through Phoenix drop me a line and we'll grab dinner! 

bmw88rider
2/23/24 10:38 a.m.

Hey Brandon. I'll let you know. It is LA. I was thinking of going a little more northern route through Vegas but we will see. 

bmw88rider
3/4/24 5:45 p.m.

So since it's out in the open, It is an Evo 9 MR I'm picking up. More specifically, This Evo: Evo Build thread

It was a much easier to make a deal with NSXmr2elises2000 than his deal with the prior owner. So the plan is flying in on the 14th. Spending a day in LA and going to the Petersen for a day then road trip home with a spin through the ACH on the way out of town. From there it's 3 days to cover 1600ish miles home to Nebraska. 

I cleared out the garage space over the weekend to park it. 

I've been an evo fan for a long time and had a reservation on a Evo 6 that was suppose to have imported later this year but with parts availability for the 6 being a pain and already having a RHD car, I decided to get this one instead.

Now to watch the weather and determine the route home. 

Keith Tanner
3/4/24 5:58 p.m.

Take the vault tour at the Peterson :) It's a little biased towards showbiz over car nerds, but it's still a heck of a tour.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/4/24 6:00 p.m.

Wow - I thought that was a great car - now you're buying it?  What a nice car!

Keith Tanner
3/4/24 6:32 p.m.

If you read that previous thread, I think this was a long-term plan. He was the one that suggested the car to NSXmr2elises2000!

bmw88rider
3/4/24 7:05 p.m.

I do have tickets to the Vault tour. They did the virtual one during covid and I've been itching to see it live since. 

And I do have to admit, I wanted the car when he was looking at it and would have bought it originally if he passed. 

Looking forward to the whole adventure. 

nsxmr2elises2000
nsxmr2elises2000 PowerDork
3/4/24 11:10 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

Wow - I thought that was a great car - now you're buying it?  What a nice car!

it is a great car. not for sale. 

somehow I was convinced to sell him another car 

i didnt get to finish missing my GSR he took, before he stole this EVO 

nsxmr2elises2000
3/4/24 11:11 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

If you read that previous thread, I think this was a long-term plan. He was the one that suggested the car to NSXmr2elises2000!

i am definitely the sucker crying

To clarify I found the car myself without his help cheeky

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/5/24 7:31 a.m.

Wow - I love that Evo - Congrats!  Best car I ever drove was an EVO IX MR SE, I didn't expect to like it, and fell 100% head over heels in love with it.  It was lightly modded (Swift springs, turbo-back exhaust) and it was incredible.

bmw88rider
3/5/24 8:08 a.m.

In reply to nsxmr2elises2000 :

The GSR is now over 250K miles. It's seen a lot of travel since it left California and is still going strong. 

bmw88rider
3/5/24 8:13 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

I autocrossed a friend's IX GSR back in the day for a couple seasons. I loved that car and really wanted one got my own for a long time. The timing never worked out.

I've been a lancer/Mirage fan for a long time. My garage will now have 2 mivec powered cars. 1 turboed with the addition on the EVO and My NA 4g92 Mivec track car. 

nsxmr2elises2000
3/5/24 11:37 a.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

Wow - I love that Evo - Congrats!  Best car I ever drove was an EVO IX MR SE, I didn't expect to like it, and fell 100% head over heels in love with it.  It was lightly modded (Swift springs, turbo-back exhaust) and it was incredible.

Same here. I was a Mitsu guy for the Dakar Pajero only. Mitsu are not my thing. When I found this mint 1 owner, unmodded jewel, after living with it 1.5 years, I am in love with it. 

It truly is a 4 door Lotus Elise. It does everything I wnat it to do. It is tight, no squeaks, rattles, solid car, great driver. Mine is as original as I got it. 

nsxmr2elises2000
3/5/24 11:38 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

In reply to nsxmr2elises2000 :

The GSR is now over 250K miles. It's seen a lot of travel since it left California and is still going strong. 

Yup I love that. I remember ordering my brand new Elise and driving it across America 3500 miles. When I bought my S2000 new, drove it 1100 miles to see a friend and break it in. 

Miles + car + stories + roadtrip + friends = life's best pleasures. 

bmw88rider
3/10/24 2:23 p.m.

Ok. Route is planed. 2 little side trips planned on the way provided the weather is good and I feel good. 

First driving day will take me to Colorado City AZ.  Of course I'll be taking the ACH out of LA and getting to really know the new evo. Then cruising up I-15 to st. george area. Hitting the back loop by Zion and taking the loop up 89 in Utah. Then catching up with I-70 at Sevier.

I potentially may make another loop down 191 to Moab and doing that loop back up to Grand Junction via 46 and then 141. It'll depend on how I'm feeling as this will be a solo drive. I love that loop so hopefully I can make it work.

Then off to Denver for the second night. From Denver, It'll be a boring run home across I76 to I80 back to Omaha. 

Looking forward to it!

nsxmr2elises2000
3/13/24 12:46 p.m.
  • Heading out to the warehouse to pick it up later today.
  • Then I will give it a wash (doesn't need it).
  • Will also turn on the radio for the first time, since you inquired. 
Keith Tanner
3/13/24 1:02 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

Ok. Route is planed. 2 little side trips planned on the way provided the weather is good and I feel good. 

First driving day will take me to Colorado City AZ.  Of course I'll be taking the ACH out of LA and getting to really know the new evo. Then cruising up I-15 to st. george area. Hitting the back loop by Zion and taking the loop up 89 in Utah. Then catching up with I-70 at Sevier.

I potentially may make another loop down 191 to Moab and doing that loop back up to Grand Junction via 46 and then 141. It'll depend on how I'm feeling as this will be a solo drive. I love that loop so hopefully I can make it work.

Then off to Denver for the second night. From Denver, It'll be a boring run home across I76 to I80 back to Omaha. 

Looking forward to it!

I'd recommend taking Hwy 12 through Utah. As much fun as the Paradox loop (191-46-141) is, you have to drive Hwy 12 at least once. Try this instead.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZrvrxR5xBDFJhoYx6

bmw88rider
3/13/24 1:48 p.m.

Sold Keith. You steered me in the right direction before so who am I to argue. 

Keith Tanner
3/13/24 2:00 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

I don't know if that link worked. Basically, take your back way through Zion via Mt Carmel Junction (home of the Ho Cooked Pies!), take 89 north to the Hwy 12 junction. When you get to Torrey, go east on 24 to Hanksville. Then north to I70.

And of course, let me know if you want to meet up for a meal. There are some good spots just off I70 in Fruita that would be a short stop.

bmw88rider
3/13/24 2:09 p.m.

It worked just fine. That's the only part of Utah that I never really explored so great call out. 

I'll let you know for sure.  See how the day is going along. 

nsxmr2elises2000
3/13/24 3:29 p.m.

That part of utah is great. We did that last year, and went up to the Gorge in WY and Dinosaur national monument. 

Keith never invites me for a meal, but invites my ex cars for a meal crying

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eT6nrigCPyjrbgNpWD21HEIcsvlMtbeseztJmOaPiQBgMA7HLuefdU5HwTaxvgjE