6/24/20 8:26 a.m.
wheels777 said:

Tadaaa!!!

I can't unsee this:

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
6/24/20 9:45 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

I am amazed at how nice that bodywork came out. Curious how much filler you needed? I've heard you guys like to account for each oz used.

Very little. We spend a lot of time on the metal and one of our teammates (Doug) is a very gifted on body work. I think the total amount was under 32 ounces. 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
6/24/20 7:29 p.m.

That worked!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
6/25/20 11:04 a.m.

So you have reverse engineered a fix for your wheel standing problem?

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
6/25/20 11:09 a.m.
TRoglodyte said:

Wheel stand issue???

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 11:19 a.m.
wheels777 said:
TRoglodyte said:

Wheel stand issue???

I believe he's suggesting a FWD drag car won't do a wheelie.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
6/25/20 11:21 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
wheels777 said:
TRoglodyte said:

Wheel stand issue???

I believe he's suggesting a FWD drag car won't do a wheelie.

I get that. But I don't believe we have a wheel stand issue on our RWD stuff. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
6/25/20 11:27 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

I was referring to the video posted a while ago where one car  hooked up surprisingly well off the line

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
6/25/20 11:36 a.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte :

Ya ya ya. That's not a wheel stand issue....that was a timing issue on when the Nitrous came on (brought it in too fast when running a final round for a all or nothing heads up race)  and the other was a No-Prep chassis set-up with a Prep track power tune. It all boils down to a 0.3 second window where we go fast or go vertical. frown

John Brown (Forum Supporter)
John Brown (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 8:38 p.m.
wheels777 said:

In reply to TRoglodyte :

Ya ya ya. That's not a wheel stand issue....that was a timing issue on when the Nitrous came on (brought it in too fast when running a final round for a all or nothing heads up race)  and the other was a No-Prep chassis set-up with a Prep track power tune. It all boils down to a 0.3 second window where we go fast or go vertical. frown

For those following that means "Yes, no wheel stands in the green car entered by the Nelson's"

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
6/27/20 3:00 p.m.

If you look closely at the Dyno video, you will notice the stock radius rod bushings are not up to the task. So we fixed it. 

Old:

Bought these spherical bearings for $10 a piece.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
6/27/20 6:30 p.m.

So what's a little time in the shop with 'laying around' material  and Andrew/Calvin icthin' to fire up the 'lathe/milling machine'....voila....."nuttin' to it just sumpin' to do" as they say here in Houston.... y'all rock!!!!

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
6/28/20 4:18 a.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

So what's a little time in the shop with 'laying around' material  and Andrew/Calvin icthin' to fire up the 'lathe/milling machine'....voila....."nuttin' to it just sumpin' to do" as they say here in Houston.... y'all rock!!!!

Funny you mention 'sittin around material'. The plate the was used is part of an old radio tower base that was scrapped. They saw scrap. I saw car parts. It sat in the hog pen for 8 years. 

wheels777 said:

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
6/28/20 11:53 a.m.
barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/28/20 1:13 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

60hp from an intake? Even with boost? Seems high, but admittedly my experience with LS stuff is nil. Still, like you said, 650whp is nothing to be upset about. Is that enough to see 8s?

*edit to make sure this comment doesn't come off as argumentative, I'm just surprised. Also. 8s!

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/28/20 2:02 p.m.

Leaving a comment because 1) this is freaking awesome 2) I want to be able to easily find this again 3) everything is such great freaking reference material.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
6/28/20 3:04 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I am a little skeptical of the 60hp number too. It will be close to what we need for an 8. We may need just a bit more.

6/28/20 4:13 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

I am a little skeptical of the 60hp number too. It will be close to what we need for an 8. We may need just a bit more.

what boost level are y'all comfortable with on this bullet.....you mentioned some crankcase blowby? on the dyno runs?

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
6/28/20 4:24 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

what boost level are y'all comfortable with on this bullet.....you mentioned some crankcase blowby? on the dyno runs?

14 until the Challenge. Everything the turbo can make after that. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/28/20 5:16 p.m.

The first 8 in challenge history might be FWD? Wow. 

6/28/20 5:27 p.m.
wheels777 said:
TheV8Kid said:

what can this bullet withstand boost wise after the challenge ?? or who cares DAMN THE TORPEDOS!!!!!

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) Dork
6/28/20 5:55 p.m.

Quote -- "We've never broken 700 on Matt's dyno."

This dyno sheet is from a car built of mismatched stuff, sweat and ingenuity. 

AND you still have time to tweak it.

Nice entry!

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
6/28/20 6:48 p.m.
Mndsm said:

The first 8 in challenge history might be FWD? Wow. 

Took from 2004 to 2017 the go from 10 to 9.  We'll see about 8s....that is a tall order....but on the list....  

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
6/28/20 6:49 p.m.
wheels777 said:
TheV8Kid said:

what can this bullet withstand boost wise after the challenge ?? or who cares DAMN THE TORPEDOS!!!!!

Over 20.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VeUHIcTDd6rMZlVnom5JnSviV8FO1uHiTjp8t0D0RvpNdCqB1zasmFMQEL2YGrC9