1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/7/20 6:46 a.m.

Looks like someone is building a canoe kit.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/20 7:05 a.m.

Progress on the TA:

And finally finished last rounds kit:

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/20 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

One of the greatest race cars of all time, makes one of the best models I've seen in a long time.  I really like it. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/20 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Nice Martini stripes!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/7/20 8:39 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

I'm in on the box stock challenge with a 1966 Nova. 

Aaron_King
5/7/20 8:57 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)  and Javelin (Forum Supporter) 

Thanks, it came out fairly nice but man putting decals on the fenders sucked.  I could not get them to lay flat for the life of me.

Aaron_King
5/7/20 9:02 a.m.

I am doing an 84ish Pontiac Trans Am.  I am going to use the GTA hood and turbo motor though.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
5/7/20 9:18 a.m.

Sorry for sidetracking the tread about the next buildout, back to current updates!

Made some solid progress on the WRX finally.  To whoever recommended the Insta-Cure glue, thank you! Huge step up from the HF superglue I used on the last build. (I'll keep those tubes for first aid use, haha!)

Should get the last of the decals done tonight and the body fit to the chassis. I'm having some weird fitment issues with the front not wanting to drop low enough and end up with some weird wheel gaps. I'll need to get creative with that.

Then it's time to weather the car. Goal is to have it done by the weekend.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/7/20 4:22 p.m.

No engine? That sucks.

To get decals to lay flat use Solvaset (Walthers) or Micro-Sol (Microscale). Consensus is the Walthers product is superior and I would agree. One coat of Solvaset seems to work where I'd have to hit them with multiple applications of Micro-Sol to achieve the same thing.

Aaron_King
5/7/20 6:40 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Thanks, I will pick some up before I take on any more racecar builds

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/20 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

I noticed you are favoring the front due to some wrinkles on the rear.  I used to slice the wrinkles with an Xacto blade and try and brush them flat.  I know a guy that wins model building contests.  He sold a car he did for a few hundred bucks more than once.  Here is one he did.

I think this won ribbons at the 2018 state fair.

I can ask him for decal tips if you'd like.  I'm really an airplane / train builder, but I should start my box stock car tomorrow.

My skills are pathetic compared to this.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/20 8:07 p.m.

The BRAT is painted and the chassis is started. 

5/8/20 1:11 a.m.

I did the overspray pattern on the chassis.

And did the interior in a gray color. The factory colors available were black, tan, red, and a silver grey metallic called platinum, which is what I'll be trying to duplicate.

I polished the paint, which was a terrible idea because it still wasn't cured. Then I touched up the stripes and painted Tamiya clear coat on it. It's a terrible job for me and I hate it, but I'm not trying to fix it anymore.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/8/20 7:22 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

It looks pretty good from here! It's funny; I was painting the Nova last night and thought about your post describing polishing it and wondered if it would be too soon. 

Keep up the good work, I think the Javelin will turn out great yet! 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/8/20 7:29 a.m.

Here's my progress from last night, painted, primed and cleared. 

Here's the post production/behind the scenes real story. I may have angered the paint gods. Normally my procedure for painting models (rattle can) is prime, let dry for 24 hours, paint, dry for 24 hours, clear, dry for 24 hours. 

However, this time I read the instructions on the cans and they make note about re-coating within 30 minutes and completing all painting within an hour OR waiting 7 days to recoat once it's started to cure. So, I went by the book. Primed, waited 30 minutes, painted, waited 10, cleared. In this picture it was freshly cleared and looking splended. However, if you look closer than my photograph allows you can see some imperfections and roughness, especially on the hood. Similar to what Javelin and Claff faced last time with the wrinkling, just not as dramatic. I didn't have the courage to check before I came to work this morning, so we'll see what is awaiting me when I get home. 

If it's a little "textured" shall we say I'm probably going to leave it - the flaws I could see last night wouldn't stand out too bad on a shelf. 

The suspense! 

Aaron_King
5/8/20 9:41 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Any tips would very welcome.  In my much younger days I did mostly 1/72 scale military stuff, ground vehicles and a few airplanes, so small decals if any.  Doing these cars seems to be a whole lot different, though it has been 35 years at least since I put a kit together.

5/8/20 1:41 p.m.

Mock up phase has begun. The clear ended up curing well with minimal issues and polished nicely. Now I can finish working on everything else.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/8/20 7:14 p.m.

A friend of mine--who now lives clear across the country--just shared a model-building session via Facebook Live. It went nearly 2 hours. He's building the spaceship from Space: 1999. It was him building, talking about models, talking about life, etc. Quite soothing, actually. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/8/20 7:48 p.m.

All you are looking good. Can't wait to see the final stages. 

Gunchsta I did that model many years ago. I still have the unfinished display engine! Did mine two tone midnight blue on the bottom gloss on top with gold accents and trim. That model's around here somewhere.

Here's where I'm at.

Gonna use Molotow chrome pen between the colors as pinstripe.

Ka-chow!

Now I gotta start painting all the other stuff (all primered though). Maybe I'll actually finish this one.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/8/20 9:31 p.m.

I am really digging the cove paint scheme!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/8/20 9:48 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I am really digging the cove paint scheme!

Yes, looks cool. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/20 9:49 p.m.

I know this doesn't qualify me to hang out with the cool kids, but I don't have a model kit lying about. This Lego Porsche has been waiting for me for two months.

Carry on.

5/8/20 10:57 p.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

I know this doesn't qualify me to hang out with the cool kids, but I don't have a model kit lying about. This Lego Porsche has been waiting for me for two months.

Carry on.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/9/20 6:29 a.m.

I used to be involved with a model contest at our local fair every year. I didn't run it, just helped put the display together. The nice old guy who ran it got talked into letting a kid put in a Lego build (this was decades ago before Lego was really a thing).

The following year half the display was Lego.

I stopped participating shortly afterward. I don't hate Legos; I built my fair share when I was a youngster. But they aren't kits. Two very different hobbies IMO.

5/9/20 7:49 a.m.
ddavidv said:

I used to be involved with a model contest at our local fair every year. I didn't run it, just helped put the display together. The nice old guy who ran it got talked into letting a kid put in a Lego build (this was decades ago before Lego was really a thing).

The following year half the display was Lego.

I stopped participating shortly afterward. I don't hate Legos; I built my fair share when I was a youngster. But they aren't kits. Two very different hobbies IMO.

Well, this isn't really a contest so much as a show with no specific ground rules. "Winners" have been picked by random in the first two rounds. The Lego Porsche is cute. But it's not a scale plastic build in the traditional sense. It would rightly fall into it's own category. It was midnight and I was tired. LOL

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S2D97gRnWX23jxT2Kfdmm3Ju4flI5BkjZVLNLRzCeKbGNs91tD895bqwt6yBS6L8