1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47
Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/9/24 7:05 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

The motors are the same basic unit on 300R and 300DS (same lower setup except for different piston/cylinder [300R  vs 300DS] and same basic head setup except for cams/cam sprocket [300R vs 300DS] - every part regarding the valves and valve guides are exactly the same on both).  Stock the 300R makes its torque down lower and power falls off a bit more once past 8k rpm compared to the DS. Valve clearance check interval is listed as 60 hours on the 300R and 7,500 miles on the 300DS... Mine has a Trail Tech Striker dash and have been keeping track of run time since new (before Striker ran ~ 45 minutes before installing a Vapor for 37.1 miles / 2hours 10 minutes from new which wrote down in the manual before changing over to the Striker):

So in total bike has around ~240 miles / ~13 hours runtime since brand new. Most of the ride time @ ~20-30mph around the property practicing trying to get the basics down. Just recently actually comfortable stretching its legs and more confident in competently riding offroad, still a beginner with much more to learn but will continue learning with the KOVE 450 Rally though since it feels way more stable and is simply a better all around to ride bike offroad. The KLX will just be sitting around wait for someone else to ride it as I simply don't want to anymore... will only put miles on it because I have to not because I want to at all. All I want to ride on is the KOVE any chance I can get now...

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/11/24 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

I'm really leaning towards the D/S, but let me know when you're ready and we can talk.

And of course, a VersysX 300 just hit Failbook right around the corner from me for $3500...  pretty tempting at that price.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/23/24 8:41 p.m.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/25/24 5:10 a.m.

Well, my dual sport itch is going to have to wait a while.

I found a really clean '07 Interceptor in Freddie Spencer colors nearby so it came home with me last night.  I've always loved the Honda V4s, and a '96 VFR750 was the first new bike I ever bought.  I was never excited about the whole VTEC thing, but liked the look of the 2002-2009 Interceptors, especially in these colors.  Should make a pretty good all 'rounder for the street and maybe an occasional track day.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/25/24 2:58 p.m.

That's a nice looking street bike and V4s make nice sounds.

I've been thinking about if I really do want CB500X and come to the conclusion not really... I mean yes it would be nice, and would definitely like it for a street bike but I'm really just interested in offroad riding. Thinking of adding just a fun, lighter weight offroad bike and the Husqvarna TE450 has caught my eye... they can be had for not much and are 100lbs lighter than the KOVE... and have special Italian charm. Add a Lectron PRO carb to them and have hassle free all altitude and temp riding kind of like fuel injection. Or maybe shed a bit more weight and go with a two stroke Yamaha YZ250... That's what I'm torn between right now a 2007 or earlier ~250lb wet TE450 or a mid/late 2000's ~235lb wet YX250 for ~$3k or less. Maintenance no concern as is a secondary fun project bike for just local blasts from home every so often...and really want to use a Lectron carb in something.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/26/24 6:45 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

It surprises me that there are differences between the 300R and DS. That motor has been the same for at least 30 years. Maybe it's an emissions thing. FWIW I've probably put over 30k on those bikes and never had to make a valve adjustment. They're very well built motors and it's not uncommon to see over 100k and more on them in Asia. 

Those Italian Huskies, pre BMW, are great bikes. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/28/24 10:35 p.m.

Been working on the KLX300R and have most hardware installed for the street legal kit. Only things left are figuring out mount for custom headlight and then the wiring. Yesterday finished the tail lighting/license installation and today did front turn signal, auxiliary indicator lighting brackets for the Trail Tech dash, multifunction horn/turn signal/light control, and horn mechanical installs. Also plan on swapping mirrors between the KOVE and the KLX... want the CRG Arrows on the KOVE and think the round CRG Hindsights go better on the KLX.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/29/24 2:11 p.m.

Things are getting out of hand at my place. Though I did take a deposit on the KTM and the XR1200. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/13/24 2:05 p.m.

Sunny and 22C here today. Trail bikes are all in pieces waiting for parts, so I took the trials bike out. This is an old quarry about five minutes from my place that not many people know about and there's some  decent trails. My legs are going to be sore tomorrow 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/13/24 4:26 p.m.

Found this on the trail. Any guesses?

Has some decent looking Euro 13's on it

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/14/24 8:18 a.m.

Corolla or Nissan something-or-other.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/14/24 9:24 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Corolla or Nissan something-or-other.

100% thought it was a Nissan, or Datsun even.

It's not

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/14/24 9:30 a.m.

Weather has been beautiful these past few days!

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/14/24 9:31 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I am envious of your fleet sir

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/14/24 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

2nd gen (82-85) Accord.

Don't ask how long that took, my first thought was a Cavalier.  4-door sedans have always been something I ignore as much as possible.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
3/14/24 6:25 p.m.

As waiting on parts for building some accesory harnesses for both the KLX300R and KOVE, am starting on a rally tower upgrade for the KOVE 450 Rally...

Moving the factory USB port to the tower block off plate along with the two switches being added for the auxiliary lights. Need to create a pair of triangular mounting brackets for the SS3 round light and will directly bolt on the pair of SSC1s on either side (will just need to enlarge slot to fit mounting bolts).  Hardest part will be the Lowrance Elite FS7 bracket, but think have a concept in my head of a design using the side gimbal mount locations which will work, just need to figure out clearance with the stock instrument display and how low I can have the Lowrance and get design on paper and double check everything. Will save the GPS mounting for after tower is mounted on bike and custom accessory wiring harness completed.

Also have custom graphics kit coming in am very looking forward to... SKDA had some pre-made designs that were nice in some areas but lacking something for me in other areas. Combined 3 of their pre-designs along with some custom design changes for a custom graphic package that is not much more than their premade designs and I 100% like (at least on the proof image after 3 iterations back and forth). Something to be said for having a nice custom graphic design on a bike.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
3/15/24 4:29 p.m.

I still can't ride the motorcycles following my ACL surgery, but it seems good enough to pedal so I used that as an excuse to pick this up - Ibis Ripley LS. Someone put a lot of money into this thing, I finally got it out on Monday for the first time and even though I took it really easy, it was immediately obvious how far bikes have come since my 2009 Specialized. This thing is a rocket. Still dialing in the ergod, and my knee is pretty sore, but the stoke level is through the roof being back on 2 wheels again.

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
3/15/24 6:54 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Things are getting out of hand at my place. Though I did take a deposit on the KTM and the XR1200. 

Huh?  I only count 8, soon to be 6.  

TBF, I only have 5 (plus 2 little CRF yard bikes) but I'm supposed to look at an Aprilia RS250 Cup bike next weekend.   I keep eye-balling a friend's Buell XB12S too.   They're kind of cool.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/24 1:41 a.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

Awesome! Nice bike; and glad to hear you're getting back to it! At times I regret selling my Santa Cruz full-suspension 29er; it would be nice to have a mountain bike again.

3/16/24 4:43 p.m.

enjoying a nice day and fresh suspension. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/16/24 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

Nailed it.

I thought I was going to have a pic of a new (to me) bike but the seller did not like my offer. I left on good terms, and told him he can call me any time if he changes his mind. Hopefully he does, I liked the bike more than expected, and offered more than I had intended

3/27/24 12:56 p.m.

Not pictures my bike, but me riding bikes. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
4/2/24 8:32 a.m.

And then there were two...

The 2nd VFR is not mine...  Last month my sister and BIL were visiting from Wisconsin, and my BIL was drooling over my VFR.  He's the guy that got me into bikes 40 years ago, and he has a lot of cool bikes (GPzs, Kawi Triples, etc).  He's also looking to downsize from his FJR, so when they went home he started looking for a VFR .  After dealing with a dealer in Oregon that didn't seem interested in selling bikes, and talking to a guy that had a VFR on CL in New Jersey, he was getting frustrated.  There was an Anniversary VFR in Phoenix that had been my back-up plan if I didn't buy the one I bought, so I looked on FB and it was still for sale.  Long story short, he made the deal, and I made the trip to Phoenix yesterday to pick up the bike.  Not sure if he's going to have it shipped, or fly out and ride it home, but it will be waiting here until then.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/4/24 11:54 a.m.

Pretty happy how this one turned out. It was super scabby when I bought it, had high enough hours on the big bore that I did a piston and ring, and spent a lot of time cleaning. Plastics were not available in anything other than orange so I spent a lot of time scrubbing, sanding and polishing, and I think it looks pretty good. 2021 MC85 with 105 big bore, aftermarket pipe and ECU. I bet buddy had 10 grand in this thing, and I picked it up for $3600. Total goon bike that's borderline small for me but I'll rip up the smaller and kids tracks and probably the woods with it and hopefully make a few bucks about mid season. Or keep it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
4/5/24 6:32 p.m.

09 TE450 that sat for like 5 years before I got it, rides again!

1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jmCGFpdx8qJQxayBpi4xO24V0Io7qsmzgDWxHNKhcFYce6JkFKYleQiuOkCoGDzH