1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/24/19 11:36 a.m.

You can also do pie cuts on all the tubes and bring tge collector in mpre of needed. The cheap ebay stainless welds nice with a standard mig.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/24/19 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

There is a lot of "guess and spend" in the header game.

I find Headman does this game the best, but not challenge friendly at about $350

Pete

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/19 12:02 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to AxeHealey :

Wind-idge, like the wind in the crankcase blowing around.  (If there's 5.3 liters of displacement on top of the pistons, there's 5.3 liters underneath them too, and they are blowing on the bowl of oil under the crank)

Thanks!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/24/19 12:10 p.m.

In reply to ​​​Dusterbd13-michael & NOHOME :

This car will start life as a Challenge competitor (think Roadkill Barely Functional style) and then be slowly refined over the years.  I'm open to flipping the manifolds upside down and running like the Hot Rod Garage 5.0 MG to start, and then post challenge buying a better solution.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/24/19 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I am totally o board with the hatter pipes. Please go straight to this and ignore all that convoluted under- the -car routing.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/24/19 12:52 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I am totally o board with the hatter pipes. Please go straight to this and ignore all that convoluted under- the -car routing.

Indy-kid #2 agrees with you 100%.  He loves that look and has been begging me to flip the headers upside down and run them that way.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/24/19 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Take a splash mold of your stock hood. Then from that mold make a fiberglass hood.  Measure carefully around the pipes sticking up and hole saw a nice neat pair of holes. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/19 3:01 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Or spend all that time getting the actual swap done. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/24/19 3:31 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Or spend all that time getting the actual swap done. 

This. Very much this.   I've watched way too many projects stall and never reach completion because builders attempt too much and make perfection the enemy of  good enough.  I don't want to be that guy. I won't be one who has AWESOME plans but never gets to the driving stage.

My stretch goal is to have this up and driving to enjoy Hot Rod Power Tour in June 2020.  Then the Challenge in October

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/26/19 3:44 p.m.

I'm out in the garage at the moment, but here's a teaser pic until I get done tonight and give a full write up:

Stampie
12/26/19 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Looks perfect to mount twin turbos to.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/26/19 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Reminds me...NOW is the time to weld in the oil drainback bungs for those turbos. Cause ya never know!

Pete

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/26/19 6:07 p.m.

Oh yeah!!!

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX New Reader
12/26/19 6:07 p.m.

The shoehorn is strong with this one. Also hoodless hater pipe has my vote.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/26/19 6:14 p.m.

Thanks for all the windage tray talk. I completely forgot about that on my 5.3.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
12/26/19 7:47 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

When you mount them out of the hood like that you just drain them back to the valve covers.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/26/19 8:29 p.m.

Phase one is definitely not getting turbos, sorry guys.  Maybe phase two, maybe.

I had help off and on today.  Engine in and out a few times:

This all had to get cut away, I was trying to avoid removing this because that's where the gas pedal is supposed go.

After some cutting...

Headers and the back of the heads  were hitting all over the place, plus no header on the driver's side yet

Engine out mark areas to cut some more:

Cut, cut, cut:

Let's try it again...

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
12/26/19 8:48 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to ​​​Dusterbd13-michael & NOHOME :

This car will start life as a Challenge competitor (think Roadkill Barely Functional style) and then be slowly refined over the years.  I'm open to flipping the manifolds upside down and running like the Hot Rod Garage 5.0 MG to start, and then post challenge buying a better solution.

Trying to catch up on thread, so this a little late. Zoomies, straight up zoomies. Don't bother with 4 into 1 or any crap like that. laugh

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/26/19 8:52 p.m.

I've got some more cutting to do, but was able to successfully get the engine in a position low enough to get the hood into position.

And bonus, my existing truck throttle is going to clear the hood!!!!!

Sits about an inch or so below the frame:

The headers are going to work with some modifications, either cut frame or move collector down:

Engine positioned behind the center line of the front wheels

And finally, this will make Patrick happy, I'll be able to use a stock cross member.

Stampie
12/26/19 8:55 p.m.

Nice work. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/19 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Awesome job! I’m looking forward to New Years burnouts!!!

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
12/26/19 9:31 p.m.

Seriously tight even after the clearance cuts. I really admire the persistence it takes to do this.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/26/19 10:11 p.m.

Dang that's tight. I see a lot of tin work in your future.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/27/19 9:08 a.m.

Mid-engine, V8, TR4. 

Yeah. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/27/19 11:18 a.m.

That's the stock crossmember?  It looks like something I would have welded up in highschool shop class [this is not a compliment].

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
46iKklvlghUvuHpREyreLv8v3CaZWksHPs60YgqJlMapHr0sou7V5Lqvdy1oQoKE